Why so giddy about Thompson?

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Merlin said:
The line wasnt blocking very well. Look at Julius numbers, Everytime he went outside he had some nice gains because of that speed. I hope he can catch the ball too but he has to be able to block if he is gonna play RB this year. Bottomline.

It's difficult to run block when you have 8 men in the box.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Go from no optimism to complete optimism. I think I will call you tide from now on since your opinion comes and goes like the tide. LOL Just joking with you.

My tide of optimism is destroyed by the moon of reality. Man, this conversation is getting weird.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The point is that we needed a pleasant surprise at WR, OL or S more than at RB.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun said:
If JJ wasn't on the roster, I could understand the building excitement. But even if he makes the team, he doesn't stand to get a lot of carries. I'd rather trade him for a viable RT candidate.

NO WAY!

He's an outside threat and looks like he'd be a great 3rd down back ...

If you saw him play and you're saying this, I'd wonder if you were on crack ...

This guy could be something very special. He's the 2nd best back on the team IMO. Even though it seems his strength is running to the outside ... inside running can be coached a litte ...

And if the Cowboys run an open set in the backfield like they did last game, they can use Julius and Thompson in the backfield very effectively IMO.

He'll make the team .... and he'll contribute a lot to the offense this year IMO.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Two comments

First - I am excited because of his SPEED.

Second - Why can't I be excited about having both JJ and Thompson on the roster ?

I can't wait to see them both in the same backfield at the same time ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
smashmouth said:
Alot of people were complaining about him not being able to do anything up the middle.
I watched my recording and what I saw was 1st off, they only gave it to him twice up the middle where, as soon as he got the ball, he was swormed.

I just want like I say all of the time "Playmakers". I don't care what school they came from or what they look like, or if they have a strong arm or not, I just want people who can make plays.

There was no blocking for him to go anywhere up the middle ... the hole collapsed as soon as the ball was snapped ...

Asklesko

Reaction score
I think it was just that the Cardinals sent all they had to clog up all of the holes that opened. It really worked. Maybe it's disrespect to our quarterbacks. Could be poor o-line play. Maybe it's total lack of speed by our receivers. Could be all three. I dunno.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Speed is NOT everything.

REMEMBER RANDALL WILLIAMS.

Yeah...he couldnt catch the ball.

Wake me up when Thompson starts fumbling.

Until then...your analogy holds no water.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Point is that Williams was fast but could not catch the ball. Thompson is fast but MUST show he can run inside and block. If he cannot do that then all the speed in the world does not matter.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Point is that Williams was fast but could not catch the ball. Thompson is fast but MUST show he can run inside and block. If he cannot do that then all the speed in the world does not matter.

Agreed

But why would you assume that he cannot run inside or block ?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Untill he shows he can I assume he cannot- and that is why he went undrafted.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Now if this kid does show he can block and run inside, then things get a lot rosier. At THAT point we maybe can work a deal trading A Train to someone in need of a proven 1000 yd back. You never know; we might get someone that fills a need for us.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Untill he shows he can I assume he cannot- and that is why he went undrafted.

Until he shows he cannot I will assume he can - and that is why he is currently in a Cowboys uniform and why Parcells gave him praise in the this press conference.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Thompson is what, 220 pounds? If he WANTS to run inside, he will and he'll be just as good as he is running outside. He was a bigger recruit than Tatum Bell was in HS, he just took the long way to get here. See Preist Holmes.

burmafrd

Reaction score
as Yoda said, "size matters not".
Hambone was pretty big and he was not exactly a power back.

ghst187

Reaction score
sadly, i thin A-train was a wasted signing if TT continues his tear. I thought Barber was a huge steal but looks like Barber may be relegated to KRs. I don't know how we'll be able to handle (and the OL getting used to) JJ and TT tearing through the line at 100 mph and then A-train coming in and looking like Eddie boy George.
I know we won't have JJ carry every running play but its going to be hard to give the remaining few carries to a guy that's slow, esp when you have two young speedsters (TT and MB) sitting there waiting.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Need I mention the name Terrell Davis? Wasn't he a 6th rounder or something? Until he had that injury, I was positive that he would surpass Emmitt and Sanders in rushing yards. And he sure knew how to kill Dallas when he played.