Why so giddy about Thompson?

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
He looked good, but it is only preseason and third string defense.

They had a 1st round draft choice in the lineup on a big 3rd and short play during "scrub time". The announcers were making a point to point that out.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
They had a 1st round draft choice in the lineup on a big 3rd and short play during "scrub time". The announcers were making a point to point that out.

Yes, three years after being drafted. That is quite comical. I was lmao at how pathetic that Pace dude is. Still, being a former first rounder playing garbage time in a preseason game must tell you something...

ThornWithin81

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun said:
If JJ wasn't on the roster, I could understand the building excitement. But even if he makes the team, he doesn't stand to get a lot of carries. I'd rather trade him for a viable RT candidate.

1. There's no way we'll get a "viable RT candidate" during the preseason out of a UDFA who had a good outing against the Arizona Cardinals 3rd stringers. That dog just won't hunt.

2. Depth. If Julius goes down, we've got to have depth to follow him. Barber is there, but a football team is all about having a full depth chart, not just two guys you want. Also, TT will develop into a different style of runner than MBIII.

3. It's preseason and we just came off of a loss. TT ran really well, so we're excited. That doesn't mean anyone who's intelligent thinks he's the next Barry Sanders.

:star:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
He looked good, but it is only preseason and third string defense.

Thompson does not pick when his opportunities come he just needs to make the most of it when his number is called and that is what he did. For his sake I hope he is given a chance to work with the 2nd unit to see how he responds

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
Alot of people were complaining about him not being able to do anything up the middle.
I watched my recording and what I saw was 1st off, they only gave it to him twice up the middle where, as soon as he got the ball, he was swormed.

I just want like I say all of the time "Playmakers". I don't care what school they came from or what they look like, or if they have a strong arm or not, I just want people who can make plays.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Thompson is FAST. That's the main reason he has people talking. If he continues to shine he could change the way BP is presently thinking about the backup RB. We're a long way from that happening but teams that would otherwise bring the house on Drew Bledsoe 3rd and long may be given pause if you have a guy that can take it the distance on a swing pass out of the backfield. Believe me the coaching staff is going to keep a close eye on Thompson and with good reason.

ThornWithin81

Benched
Reaction score
djdoug said:
in all actuality,this guy isn't supposed to make the team at all.massive long shot.

Not at this point. At this point, I would expect that if any of the halfbacks is cut, it will be A-Train, not Tyson. Tyson is a rookie with the potential to make big plays, Thomas is a power runner who's not going to do much more than that.

I'd consider ATrain the longshot.

lspain1

Reaction score
Parcell's looks around......."Oh lookie here, I found something......Depth! At a position!...It's unheard of!"

And it has been since he's been coach of the Cowboys. But things are a changin' for the better ;)

Mike 1967

Reaction score
smashmouth said:
Alot of people were complaining about him not being able to do anything up the middle.
I watched my recording and what I saw was 1st off, they only gave it to him twice up the middle where, as soon as he got the ball, he was swormed.

I just want like I say all of the time "Playmakers". I don't care what school they came from or what they look like, or if they have a strong arm or not, I just want people who can make plays.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
bbgun said:
If JJ wasn't on the roster, I could understand the building excitement. But even if he makes the team, he doesn't stand to get a lot of carries. I'd rather trade him for a viable RT candidate.
He may look good for us at this point, and he brings a dimension that would eventually make him an extremely valuable 3rd down back if he can handle it.

ON the other hand, he's an undrafted RB...you're not going to find a RT in a trade for him...his value on the market is probably lower than Lynn Scott's.

Merlin

Reaction score
smashmouth said:

The line wasnt blocking very well. Look at Julius numbers, Everytime he went outside he had some nice gains because of that speed. I hope he can catch the ball too but he has to be able to block if he is gonna play RB this year. Bottomline.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Thompson does not pick when his opportunities come he just needs to make the most of it when his number is called and that is what he did. For his sake I hope he is given a chance to work with the 2nd unit to see how he responds

Yes, let us see how he does when the defenses are faster and more experienced and can catch him before he turns upfield.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
mullet said:
The TT excitement is over the top.... just as is all the negative feelings over one preseason game.
TT looked fast in a straight line. but, not very fast. He looked a bit stiff, and doesn't look to be elusive.
I want him to make the team, and turn into a valuable player.
But, he will never be on Julius' level.
Huh?
Fast but not very fast?
Are you serious?
He was torching their entire team even tho they had an angle and knew what play we were running.

He may not have any vision, may be a fumbler, could be a horrid blocker, may have crappy hands, but he is VERY fast. There is no denying that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
Yes, let us see how he does when the defenses are faster and more experienced and can catch him before he turns upfield.

That could happen, we don't really know now do we? Sorry but I don't understand you coming down on this kid, he has done nothing to warrant these type of remarks. He went out and he played a good ball game granted it was with the 3rd unit and hopefully that showing will allow him some time with the 2nd unit. I know the kid has some very good speed and was talked about during the Cowboys broadcast.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Huh?
Fast but not very fast?
Are you serious?
He was torching their entire team even tho they had an angle and knew what play we were running.

He may not have any vision, may be a fumbler, could be a horrid blocker, may have crappy hands, but he is VERY fast. There is no denying that.

Sound like an agenda is in place from Asklesko but he is beating around the bush. LOL

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
Merlin said:
The line wasnt blocking very well. Look at Julius numbers, Everytime he went outside he had some nice gains because of that speed. I hope he can catch the ball too but he has to be able to block if he is gonna play RB this year. Bottomline.
Yeah, if you want to stack the middle, fine! We'll have JJ hit the outside on ya. If you want to keep your LB's wide, then we'll gut-ya.
I'll tell you this though, if TT comes in and they stack the middle it is sure suicide for the defense. Imagine how good Key Johnson blocks on the outside, those 15 yard plays would turn into 23 yard plays and maybe touchdowns.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
That could happen, we don't really know now do we? Sorry but I don't understand you coming down on this kid, he has done nothing to warrant these type of remarks. He went out and he played a good ball game granted it was with the 3rd unit and hopefully that showing will allow him some time with the 2nd unit. I know the kid has some very good speed and was talked about during the Cowboys broadcast.

He does have some great speed. I will concede that. He also has some very speedy footwork. I just need to see more of him, particularly playing against Ray Lewis...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
He does have some great speed. I will concede that. He also has some very speedy footwork. I just need to see more of him, particularly playing against Ray Lewis...

We don't play the Ravens this season so I don't think you will see him aginst Ray Lewis. LOL Thompson did a good job that is all I'm not claiming him the second coming of Jim Brown. At this stage Thompson has helped himself out with a good game and because of that he gives himself a better shot at making the roster and if he continues he will give himself a chance for meaningful playing time.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
We don't play the Ravens this season so I don't think you will see him aginst Ray Lewis. LOL Thompson did a good job that is all I'm not claiming him the second coming of Jim Brown. At this stage Thompson has helped himself out with a good game and because of that he gives himself a better shot at making the roster and if he continues he will give himself a chance for meaningful playing time.

We might... If both our teams make it to the Super Bowl! There's my optimism showing throuigh :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Asklesko said:
We might... If both our teams make it to the Super Bowl! There's my optimism showing throuigh :D

Go from no optimism to complete optimism. I think I will call you tide from now on since your opinion comes and goes like the tide. LOL Just joking with you.