Why so much hate for Dez?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is probably only a few that hate him and let it ruin their view of him.

There are also some that think he is much better than he is.

Plenty of people in the middle who have seen how good he has been, knows he could have been even better if he mastered the route tree or at least more than a couple of routes.

And of course there are a few that just think he is a dirty women with too much facial hair...which I find really silly...I mean really, who is to judge who has too much facial hair.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I don't hate Dez. I hate that he's getting paid like prime Megatron without the numbers to justify his cap hit. 2012-2014 Dez is long gone and he's almost 30 to boot.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
While Dez's numbers dropped off after 2014, I don't feel like his impact on the team dropped off until last season when everything and everyone was bad. He didn't step up and carry the team last year when we needed a super star to do so. That's why people are pissed. But he was still making plenty of Dez plays in 2016, and a few last year. Really showed up in the divisional round against the Packers (both times). I wouldn't bet against Dez this year after all of the controversy surrounding him from last season. Of all the gambles Jerry makes, I hope he gambles that Dez will be Dez again in 2018 and doesn't foolishly cut him. As long as he is healthy I think he comes out with a vengeance. Give him one more season and if he isn't a clear WR 1 then cut him in 2019.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I agree with that because of the nature of his game. His reaction to fans shows he's sensitive to criticism and to his credit he did not blame the QB or OC, like Owens did.

If I had my choice, I'd choose a new OC over releasing Dez and see what they can do as I have always thought he was underutilized by this coaching staff. Other OC's find ways to get the ball to their most dangerous weapons.

Dez is excitable and full of energy and that can be channeled in a positive manner as both Romo and Witten demonstrated. Witten was hands off with the nonsense of Bennett but he has supported Dez and tried to help him and that says a lot to me.

And I must be watching a different game because I can't fault the WR when he's NFL open and the QB does not get the ball to him.
Out of all the Dezzie support and defending, this is something I agree with 100%. I was never a huge Linehan fan. As far as your last sentence, Dez needs to do a better job with the opportunities he's had. They were not all bad passes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Out of all the Dezzie support and defending, this is something I agree with 100%. I was never a huge Linehan fan. As far as your last sentence, Dez needs to do a better job with the opportunities he's had. They were not all bad passes.
True, but that has always been his trademark. Some fault his hands but not me, it's in his mind. He's got really strong hands and can attack the ball but he lacks concentration at times. He's got two games going on. The one on the field and the one in his head with the DB's, that know they can get in his head.

If I was the OC, I would tell him the first time I see him jawing with the DB, he's on the bench for a few plays or more. He reduces the team game to a childish one on one when he allows that to happen. He lets his personal frustration affect his team performance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
True, but that has always been his trademark. Some fault his hands but not me, it's in his mind. He's got really strong hands and can attack the ball but he lacks concentration at times. He's got two games going on. The one on the field and the one in his head with the DB's, that know they can get in his head.

If I was the OC, I would tell him the first time I see him jawing with the DB, he's on the bench for a few plays or more. He reduces the team game to a childish one on one when he allows that to happen. He lets his personal frustration affect his team performance.
I reference the Seattle 2017 game often. It's when I had enough of the nonsense. Remember him making a big deal about not getting the ball? Had nothing to do with the DB getting him fired up, though I do know what you mean. So he was on the sideline for a while. It didn't help, the next time he got the ball he fumbled it and gave the opposing team a TD. I'm not sure benching him will help. It would most likely result in him tweeting to fans that he doesn't care what they think, yet he's responding. I don't think he's equipped to handle the mental side.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I never cared for Dez. Don't like his antics, his attitude, or his immaturity. If you are going to pout because you aren't getting targeted, yell at coaches and teammates, and talk mess to your opponent, then you will always be the kind of player that gets on my nerves.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hate is probably a strong word, maybe a better word would be contempt, disdain, venom, etc. I have noticed so many posts with people gleefully letting Dez know "See Ya". I get that he is being paid like an elite/top 2-3 best WR's in the NFL and he is not that anymore. Time and injuries are starting to affect his play so I get the frustration especially with our current cap situation. But still, why such a strong dislike for this guy? He is the Cowboys all time TD leader and has given us a lot of joy in a decade that has not been fun and down right depresssing at times. If not for Blandino his catch at GB would probably be up there with some of the all time great catches in Cowboys playoff history. He has been a great team player, bleeds silver and blue, is great with fans, and is respected and admired by his teammates. Yea I got frustrated by the drops last year and the fumble in the Seahawks game but he is human. He admits he got frustrated last year and the Seattle game was not a good look but he has never been accused of being a selfish player. Even Stephen Jones has taken shots during the off season while giving Jason Witten a free pass even though he is being paid as an elite TE which he clearly is not at this point in his career. When his new contract was announced it seemed like an overwhelming majority of fans were happy at the time. I do believe that we need an infusion of youth and speed at WR and everything points to the Cowboys using one of their premium picks at WR. Every player realizes this is a business and father time is undefeated but I just don't understand the downright nastiness that some fans are throwing his way.

Don’t hate the man. The player has been a drama machine since day 1. Now we hear a ninth year veteran is working to learn how to run better routes? That stuff is Uber annoying. The sideline pouting is annoying. Being paid 16 million to go 4 for 40. Fans are justified to dislike the player.

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
He has certain sub-group of fans that are vile, disgusting people.

Jerry helped Dez out when he got into financial trouble with some type of contract restructure to advance him money.

Jerry and the Cowboys tolerated all kinds of off-field issues with Dez. They had to setup baby sitters for him.

Jerry "pulled strings" to keep him out of legal trouble.

Dez hit his Mom.

He was late to more meetings than any player since Jerry owned the team.

He had multiple sideline meltdowns.

He almost cost the Cowboys the playoff game they won before the Dez caught/didn't-catch game because he ran into the middle of the field while the Cowboys defense was on the field. Dez was complaining about a call. His actions would normally draw a flag.

He cost Cowboys fans a chance for the team to go to the NFC championship game on the well publicised non-catch. He had the ball in his possession but he had to go for the glory and tried to reach out to score which caused the ball to come out and be ruled incomplete.

His agent had worked out a contract with the Cowboys. Dez fired the agent before signing the contract.

Despite all of this, he threw a fit when they gave him the Franchise Tag. He made derogatory comments about the team and management. He refused to go to the practice facility and he didn't workout on his own.

Once he signed the contract, he was completely out of shape.

He got the big contract but had even more sideline meltdowns.

He is useless if he does not get targeted enough early.

He never worked to learn the nuances of route running.

It is obvious to defenders when he is not expecting the ball because he just loafs around.

He loafs on many run plays.

He crys like a baby when DBs get the best of him in training camp (see the fight with Scandrick).

He likes to show up rookie UDFA CBs in practice.

He exemplifies the look at me, selfish, dumb, too lazy to study film or the playbook, melts down when he doesn't get his way type of athlete.

His type gives athletes and Cowboys players a bad reputation which is unfair to guys like Witten, Lee, Frederick, Martin, etc..

As I said in the beginning, it's some of his hardcore fan Boiz that really cause me to despise him.[/QUOTE

Dang Bro why don't you tell us how you really feel? Lol..seriously I don't agree with everything you listed but I appreciate anyone who takes the time to break it down the way you have...much appreciated!

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
There isn't a Dak supporter in their right mind that would disagree with your statement that Dak isn't Romo. But to fair, you can't compare Romo's entire career to Dak's 2 seasons. You can, however compare both of their 2 seasons. Then you'll notice that while Dak struggled last season, some of the same excuses Dezzies use to defend Dez also hold true in regard to the entire offense. They are:
-Dak had issues dealing with pressure effecting his mechanics. His footwork was sloppy and he needs to do a better job.
-Losing Smith was important to note. The pressure was obvious when he was out.
-LG is a hole, adding to pressure issues on the left side.
-RT while it turned out OK, a player in a new position offers weaknesses.
-Elliott suspended changed the offensive dynamics
-Dez admitting to have been distracted and that he needed to do a better job, most would agree.

Now, what Dezzies to NOT admit or "factor in" is:
-The drops that were catch-able passes, even if the pass wasn't perfect.
-The meltdowns when he's not getting throws, even if the team is winning.
-Not running very good routes for an 8 year veteran.
-Not securing the ball in the most opportune times. Example: GB game would have been a catch regardless of the dumb rule if he secured the ball. Seattle game last season wouldn't have fumbled the ball in the open field resulting in 7 points for the other team if he secured the ball.
-Not giving up on plays that break down, standing like a deer in the headlights while other WRs/TEs are trying to get open as Dak scrambles.
-Social media getting in his head.
-DBs getting in his head.
Dez getting in Dez's head.

The last list is on Dez, no other player. As much as some want to point the finger at Dak, you have to see the things Dez SHOULD be doing better with considering he's an 8 year veteran.

As I said to xwalker even if I don't always agree on every point I always really appreciate anyone who takes the time and puts in the thought and effort to bring up so many points...very much appreciated Streetwise.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As I said to xwalker even if I don't always agree on every point I always really appreciate anyone who takes the time and puts in the thought and effort to bring up so many points...very much appreciated Streetwise.
I try man. I'm not a fan who is blinded by my love, support and appreciation for my team. And disagreeing or at least invite different ideas and perspectives shouldn't be labeled hate.
Thanks for the compliment, hopefully you're not pulling my leg, lol.