Why so much hate for Dez?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's ALMOST like when T.O. was here. Drama, attention seeking, me first attitude, sideline explosions and similar Dezzies antics.

The only difference is T.O. is a HOF caliber WR and on the field demonstrated that every time he took a snap. Less mental mistakes and being distracted.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Hate is probably a strong word, maybe a better word would be contempt, disdain, venom, etc. I have noticed so many posts with people gleefully letting Dez know "See Ya". I get that he is being paid like an elite/top 2-3 best WR's in the NFL and he is not that anymore. Time and injuries are starting to affect his play so I get the frustration especially with our current cap situation. But still, why such a strong dislike for this guy? He is the Cowboys all time TD leader and has given us a lot of joy in a decade that has not been fun and down right depresssing at times. If not for Blandino his catch at GB would probably be up there with some of the all time great catches in Cowboys playoff history. He has been a great team player, bleeds silver and blue, is great with fans, and is respected and admired by his teammates. Yea I got frustrated by the drops last year and the fumble in the Seahawks game but he is human. He admits he got frustrated last year and the Seattle game was not a good look but he has never been accused of being a selfish player. Even Stephen Jones has taken shots during the off season while giving Jason Witten a free pass even though he is being paid as an elite TE which he clearly is not at this point in his career. When his new contract was announced it seemed like an overwhelming majority of fans were happy at the time. I do believe that we need an infusion of youth and speed at WR and everything points to the Cowboys using one of their premium picks at WR. Every player realizes this is a business and father time is undefeated but I just don't understand the downright nastiness that some fans are throwing his way.

It's the nature of being the highly paid "superstar". Right or wrong, it comes with the territory and happens to them all to varying degrees.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Generally speaking, we have a dumb fanbase that doesn't see the relationship between good QB play and WR production.

When you see your highly paid #1 receiver not "produce" like expected, its convenient to simply look at the stats in a vacuum and lay the blame on the receiver rather than consider all the factors impacting the outcome.

Bottom-line, Dak is not remotely close to being the equal of Romo as a pure passer. To expect any wide receiver to put up big numbers with him is foolhearty (and I'm a Dak supporter...at least for one more season).

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Just a guess:

His performance has steadily dropped the past 3 seasons granted he was injured those first two years however, in his third consecutive season of decline he forgot how to catch, and lastly his performance doesn’t match his paycheck.

It’s now the fourth year, unless dramatic improvement occurs, he’s gone...

LittleD

Reaction score
It was a mistake for the team to anoint him as the "next" 88. It's always a problem for a guy to get accolades before he's actually accomplished anything.

A lot of players would be a lot better off if they were completely ignorant of their draft status and contract.

Dallas FO and coaching staff makes loads of mistakes...That's why we keep pounding them into bug dust!

LittleD

Reaction score
Generally speaking, we have a dumb fanbase that doesn't see the relationship between good QB play and WR production.

When you see your highly paid #1 receiver not "produce" like expected, its convenient to simply look at the stats in a vacuum and lay the blame on the receiver rather than consider all the factors impacting the outcome.

Bottom-line, Dak is not remotely close to being the equal of Romo as a pure passer. To expect any wide receiver to put up big numbers with him is foolhearty (and I'm a Dak supporter...at least for one more season).

We know that well enough but, Dez has done little over the last 3 years and his unearned money grates on us.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Dez too often takes plays and sometimes games off where he puts out minimal effort, his sideline temper tantrums are old and not good for the younger players to be around, expects every play should target him regardless if he's catching the ball or not......been a poor route runner his entire career and either puts out little effort to improve or is simply incapable of learning.......just to name a few things.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

There isn't a Dak supporter in their right mind that would disagree with your statement that Dak isn't Romo. But to fair, you can't compare Romo's entire career to Dak's 2 seasons. You can, however compare both of their 2 seasons. Then you'll notice that while Dak struggled last season, some of the same excuses Dezzies use to defend Dez also hold true in regard to the entire offense. They are:
-Dak had issues dealing with pressure effecting his mechanics. His footwork was sloppy and he needs to do a better job.
-Losing Smith was important to note. The pressure was obvious when he was out.
-LG is a hole, adding to pressure issues on the left side.
-RT while it turned out OK, a player in a new position offers weaknesses.
-Elliott suspended changed the offensive dynamics
-Dez admitting to have been distracted and that he needed to do a better job, most would agree.

Now, what Dezzies to NOT admit or "factor in" is:
-The drops that were catch-able passes, even if the pass wasn't perfect.
-The meltdowns when he's not getting throws, even if the team is winning.
-Not running very good routes for an 8 year veteran.
-Not securing the ball in the most opportune times. Example: GB game would have been a catch regardless of the dumb rule if he secured the ball. Seattle game last season wouldn't have fumbled the ball in the open field resulting in 7 points for the other team if he secured the ball.
-Not giving up on plays that break down, standing like a deer in the headlights while other WRs/TEs are trying to get open as Dak scrambles.
-Social media getting in his head.
-DBs getting in his head.
Dez getting in Dez's head.

The last list is on Dez, no other player. As much as some want to point the finger at Dak, you have to see the things Dez SHOULD be doing better with considering he's an 8 year veteran.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
For me its not hate at all, it's just that all the little things plus the passing of time equals willing to move on.

Every year for what 8 years now we are told how he has\is improving his route running. NOPE, never seen any evidence he has made any real improvement.
Every year he pouts & whines while they try to pass it off as "passionate" competitive energy. NOPE, just a distraction that makes other players uncomfortable.
Every year he gets frustrated & doesn't give full effort. YEP, no excuse for that being a predictably repetitive trend.
Every year the swag like he's the best receiver in the league. NOPE, not even close.

IF they get more creative with the offense & Dak makes progress, I could easily see Dez being much more productive this year & the "hate" dying down. But it sounds like he has worn his welcome thin with the staff & Jones's so I'm guessing he is gone after this year one way or the other even if he was willing to adjust his salary.

Reactions: G2

McKDaddy

Reaction score
There isn't a Dak supporter in their right mind that would disagree with your statement that Dak isn't Romo. But to fair, you can't compare Romo's entire career to Dak's 2 seasons. You can, however compare both of their 2 seasons. Then you'll notice that while Dak struggled last season, some of the same excuses Dezzies use to defend Dez also hold true in regard to the entire offense. They are:
-Dak had issues dealing with pressure effecting his mechanics. His footwork was sloppy and he needs to do a better job.
-Losing Smith was important to note. The pressure was obvious when he was out.
-LG is a hole, adding to pressure issues on the left side.
-RT while it turned out OK, a player in a new position offers weaknesses.
-Elliott suspended changed the offensive dynamics
-Dez admitting to have been distracted and that he needed to do a better job, most would agree.

Now, what Dezzies to NOT admit or "factor in" is:
-The drops that were catch-able passes, even if the pass wasn't perfect.
-The meltdowns when he's not getting throws, even if the team is winning.
-Not running very good routes for an 8 year veteran.
-Not securing the ball in the most opportune times. Example: GB game would have been a catch regardless of the dumb rule if he secured the ball. Seattle game last season wouldn't have fumbled the ball in the open field resulting in 7 points for the other team if he secured the ball.
-Not giving up on plays that break down, standing like a deer in the headlights while other WRs/TEs are trying to get open as Dak scrambles.
-Social media getting in his head.
-DBs getting in his head.
Dez getting in Dez's head.

The last list is on Dez, no other player. As much as some want to point the finger at Dak, you have to see the things Dez SHOULD be doing better with considering he's an 8 year veteran.
Nice job separating the issues.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's ALMOST like when T.O. was here. Drama, attention seeking, me first attitude, sideline explosions and similar Dezzies antics.

The only difference is T.O. is a HOF caliber WR and on the field demonstrated that every time he took a snap. Less mental mistakes and being distracted.
:hammer:for all of T.O.'s baggage & trust me I hated him when he came to Big D, I could never find anything to fault when he was on the field. He actually earned my respect with his effort on the field. Later I learned of all the things that had contributed to his mental health issues and could at least understand him better.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't think hate is a strong word at all. It's hard to understand where it comes from.

I *think* people turn on Dez and Witten because they represent the old guard of Tony Romo era offense that we've 'moved on from' now under Dak. I don't understand that type of thinking, but I think that's what's going on. They want a new era with Dak and Elliott and new WRs and want to believe Rico Gathers is a fraction of the player Jason Witten is, even now.
These same people would also be freaking out on Jerry for releasing him when we have no WR to command double teams and we have one of the worst offenses in the league. But hey, what do I know. I am just a fan.

Cmac

Reaction score
He's the easy way to deflect other deficiencies

Lutonio

Reaction score
Go back and watch that last Seattle game again. It distills every issue.

I know there were a lot of things not working that game, but I still believe the team wins if he's simply not on the field. This isn't always the case, but that can't happen ever with him being paid like he is.

blueblood70

Reaction score

agreed the entire offense slumped..if it had been just dez all this hate would have more validity..it does not..also Dak it was the online, zekes suspension, play calling blah blah blah,,the ENTIRE offense slumped..period end of story..we missed the playoffs by two games with all the horrible play..anything better than last year and we are in the playoffs..picking on one player wel other than GREEN LOL is just fodder..its starts up front with this team, than Zeke, both were not on par and Dak suffered and than you saw Dez, Witten, beasely, and the offense simply fall like dominoes..their numbers were all really career lows..Its the same as the idiots on here saying Zeke was fat slow and out of shape, he was not it was proven those picture angles were a mirage,..he weighed one pound more last year than the year before..I saw a guy hesitant with his first step and lost burst because of the Oline getting shoved around, even early in the year before Smith went out , we played some tough defenses and the holes were harder and smaller to get through with Leary and free gone, it got better and boom Zekes gone 6 games....he still played well IMO but every player had down year, for REAL reasons..Im expecting are bounce back to a 2016 season..maybe not 13-3 but 11-5 and a playoff berth regardless of the draft or FA pickups..I am a little concerned of one loss, Cooper..whats the plan at LG and swing tackle? other than that i believe we are ok..

MileyDancer

Reaction score
I personally can't stand Dez because he's a cry-baby in real life, and I'm not talking about his gameday antics. he hasn't done anything to justify his latest contract. Also, did you watch him play last season?

Verdict

Reaction score
Quick Fact: The Cowboys have 3 individual 100-yard receiving games in the past 24 games.

Dez-1
Twill-1
Witten-1

Since Dak has been starter:

Beasley hasn't had 1 in the last two seasons

Butler has 0

Twill has 1

Witten has 1

Dez Bryant has 3

Once again, its the QB. Why people can't see this is beyond me...
So I guess the arrival of Elliott had nothing to do with that? Lol. Ok.