Why so much hate for Dez?

Anthonyscottua7

Reaction score
I love the guy... He bleeds this team and has held his own for his time here. Is it his fault that he's played on teams that haven't been put together correctly, is it his fault that his catch in Green Bay was ruled a non-catch, is it his fault the team changed its thought process and is now a running team first (something I thought they should have been doing since the D Murray days), is it his fault that the O line didn't play up to par and in turn the QB play dropped off without the STAR RB on the team?

Now understand he has to be more consistent when the ball does come his way. But he will never have the numbers he had when Romo was throwing him the ball, its just not that kinda of team anymore. And how can we be mad at anyone making the amount of money they get paid? Would you take a pay cut if your employer asked, if on contract?

If the team was winning as it did in 2016 no one would have an issue...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I love the guy... He bleeds this team and has held his own for his time here. Is it his fault that he's played on teams that haven't been put together correctly, is it his fault that his catch in Green Bay was ruled a non-catch, is it his fault the team changed its thought process and is now a running team first (something I thought they should have been doing since the D Murray days), is it his fault that the O line didn't play up to par and in turn the QB play dropped off without the STAR RB on the team?

Now understand he has to be more consistent when the ball does come his way. But he will never have the numbers he had when Romo was throwing him the ball, its just not that kinda of team anymore. And how can we be mad at anyone making the amount of money they get paid? Would you take a pay cut if your employer asked, if on contract?

If the team was winning as it did in 2016 no one would have an issue...
Dez is responsible for the things he can change or improve. Simple as that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know. Not his fault the Cowboys overpaid him. I just don't like that he complained and held out at camp and since then hasn't been worth even 4 million a year, let alone 14.

He did not hold out of camp, he did not have a contract.
Just as Emmitt did not have a contract coming into the 93 season.

He complained because he wanted a contract and did not want to play under the franchise tag. Like 98% of all other players for all the other teams.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez Bryant is the most polarizing player since Romo retired but I don't hate him, just don't like him. I didn't want the Cowboys to draft him because of what I knew about him from the OSU coaching staff. The two words used the most were stubborn and uncoachable and he was warned by coaches and teammates to not only stay away from Sanders but not to lie to the NCAA when he ignored the first advice, which cost him his senior season.

I am a look the other way fan to a point with players once they put on that uniform but his behavior on the sideline and actually walking off the field before the final play pretty much put him in a bad light for me and that was cemented when he threatened to be a no show when tagged. Every player that enters the NFL knows that tagging is a possibility. The team blinked and he hasn't been the same player he was in 2014.

The Dezzies confuse immaturity and a lack of self-control with passion. Would they defend a kindergartner with a temper tantrum with passion?

While I do not like him, I do not hold a down season in 2017 against him. That was as much on his QB as him but I don't know if they're a "couple" like Romo learned to be.

I will really be surprised if they release him but if they do, there are some QB's that could make use of that throw him open style with their accuracy. Brees, Rodgers, Rivers or Wilson could put him back in the pro bowl. Because of his style of play, I believe he still has some left in the tank with the right QB.

I do not blame him for not taking a cut, they did the deal and either live with it or move on. This is not the same as holding out because of being tagged. But if he were to take a cut to help the team out, he could erase a lot of history with a lot of fans. Beginning with me.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Hate is probably a strong word, maybe a better word would be contempt, disdain, venom, etc. I have noticed so many posts with people gleefully letting Dez know "See Ya". I get that he is being paid like an elite/top 2-3 best WR's in the NFL and he is not that anymore. Time and injuries are starting to affect his play so I get the frustration especially with our current cap situation. But still, why such a strong dislike for this guy? He is the Cowboys all time TD leader and has given us a lot of joy in a decade that has not been fun and down right depresssing at times. If not for Blandino his catch at GB would probably be up there with some of the all time great catches in Cowboys playoff history. He has been a great team player, bleeds silver and blue, is great with fans, and is respected and admired by his teammates. Yea I got frustrated by the drops last year and the fumble in the Seahawks game but he is human. He admits he got frustrated last year and the Seattle game was not a good look but he has never been accused of being a selfish player. Even Stephen Jones has taken shots during the off season while giving Jason Witten a free pass even though he is being paid as an elite TE which he clearly is not at this point in his career. When his new contract was announced it seemed like an overwhelming majority of fans were happy at the time. I do believe that we need an infusion of youth and speed at WR and everything points to the Cowboys using one of their premium picks at WR. Every player realizes this is a business and father time is undefeated but I just don't understand the downright nastiness that some fans are throwing his way.

Hate is not a strong word for this at all.

I think for a lot of them it helps them put the concerns about Dak to the back of their mind!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He did not hold out of camp, he did not have a contract.
Just as Emmitt did not have a contract coming into the 93 season.

He complained because he wanted a contract and did not want to play under the franchise tag. Like 98% of all other players for all the other teams.
He called Jones personally and threatened to not play or attend training camp if he didn't get his contract by the deadline. And I think your tag numbers are quite off.
I get he deserves as much as he can get, but what pissed a lot of fans off is his drop off in production after he signed unlike Smith who got his team to a SB.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hate is not a strong word for this at all.

I think for a lot of them it helps them put the concerns about Dak to the back of their mind!
You don't have any concerns about Dez? You are all in on it's the QB's fault for everything?

aikemirv

Reaction score
You don't have any concerns about Dez? You are all in on it's the QB's fault for everything?
Ooh no, I have concerns about Dez and I have stated my opinion a few times here.. I think he pressed because of all the issues and did not handle the situation well at all. He needs to get his head on straight. I am not one who believes that he has lost a lot of skill that he had. I think it is all mental at this point.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He called Jones personally and threatened to not play or attend training camp if he didn't get his contract by the deadline. And I think your tag numbers are quite off.
I get he deserves as much as he can get, but what pissed a lot of fans off is his drop off in production after he signed unlike Smith who got his team to a SB.

Dez wasn't happy about the 5th year option either.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Ooh no, I have concerns about Dez and I have stated my opinion a few times here.. I think he pressed because of all the issues and did not handle the situation well at all. He needs to get his head on straight. I am not one who believes that he has lost a lot of skill that he had. I think it is all mental at this point.
Fair enough, to be fair I think his past injuries are taking a toll as well.

links18

Reaction score
Instead of hating the Jones for overpaying, people hate Dez for not saying no to the money or something.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dez wasn't happy about the 5th year option either.
I just can't believe anyone would use Smith as a comparison in regard to holding out. Dez isn't even in the top 20. And wasn't after he signed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Instead of hating the Jones for overpaying, people hate Dez for not saying no to the money or something.
That's the thing. I doubt there were as many fans against signing Dez prior to the big payday compared to now after seeing him screw the pooch for 3 seasons. Yes, it's using hindsight, but it's still reality. Anyone looking over is performance and effort the last 3 seasons and STILL thinks Dez earned the salary is a straight up Dezzie.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Well, it's called living up to expectations. If you're going to demand the money, then perform when you get it. He was a train wreck from the get go after signing the contract starting with training camp and including the first game of the season with Tony Romo. I can understand a drop off in production due to a drop off at the QB postion, but I can't understand an increase in his errors. Dropping open 3rd down conversions, letting balls go through his arms like he is a goal post, letting balls go entirely through his arms AND legs on the same play, getting hit in the face mask, arguing instead of playing, loafing, etc...are NOT on the QB and shouldn't be considered hate when you expect more from a player being paid at the top of his position. And some of that stuff shouldn't be tolerated by ANY player regardless of how little they make.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with that because of the nature of his game. His reaction to fans shows he's sensitive to criticism and to his credit he did not blame the QB or OC, like Owens did.

If I had my choice, I'd choose a new OC over releasing Dez and see what they can do as I have always thought he was underutilized by this coaching staff. Other OC's find ways to get the ball to their most dangerous weapons.

Dez is excitable and full of energy and that can be channeled in a positive manner as both Romo and Witten demonstrated. Witten was hands off with the nonsense of Bennett but he has supported Dez and tried to help him and that says a lot to me.

And I must be watching a different game because I can't fault the WR when he's NFL open and the QB does not get the ball to him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the thing. I doubt there were as many fans against signing Dez prior to the big payday compared to now after seeing him screw the pooch for 3 seasons. Yes, it's using hindsight, but it's still reality. Anyone looking over is performance and effort the last 3 seasons and STILL thinks Dez earned the salary is a straight up Dezzie.
I don't think they had any choice and said so at the time so I don't fault them for the contract. How many teams have had the NFL's leading rusher and All Pro WR up at the same time on a 13-4 team? I couldn't second guess that decision then and won't now.

I agree with you, it is the fall out since then but look at what happened since he signed that new deal, things changed and not for the better for him. For all we know, he may want to be released just to get a fresh start and clear his head elsewhere.

I agree with the "hate" part of the OP. When I am from the environment that he was raised in, I can talk about that but that is about as foreign to me as it gets. I wonder if I had been through that if I would be more angry and screwed up than Dez is. I do not like his behavior but I should not say I do not like him because I do not know him.