Why such surprise?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Weeks ago I said this game was going to be the game in which Payton laid it on us. This was the only remaining game that worried me. Make no mistake, we will bounce back from this game and go on to thrive in the playoffs. The loss is a bit difficult to take but I can't really say I didn't see it coming. We talked about this in another thread and someone made a joke of my pointing out that Payton knows big D like the back of his hand. :rolleyes:

The X factor did what most should have predicted he would do. He schooled his players on the tendencies of our defense and they proceeded to beat us up and down the field. There's really no surprise there.

The only surprise to me was how easily it happened. I expected a close game regardless. We pretty much stunk up the place. If you want to play the blame game this week please lay it where it belongs. That's squarely on the shoulders of our coaching staff. (specifically the defensive staff)

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Dont forget the players as well.

But I agree, you'd think that someone would make the adjustment to the play action passes to the flats. All day, every day. It was just unreal.

We couldn't get a stop after the 1st quarter.

Undisputed

Reaction score
DC.com said:
"Him being here for three years, he knew a lot of the personnel," said Brees of Payton, "so those were key. It was like, hey, this route works better against this guy or this guy. And when (Reggie) Bush would come out of the backfield, he was doubled, and when he was flanked out he was doubled."
That left the flanks vulnerable, and Brees also pointed out how Payton talked during the week about how the Cowboys' defense didn't do a good job covering the passes in the flats.

Enough to make ya sick.

Sure Payton knows us. But Zimmer and Parcells should have known that he knew. And if Payton knew that they knew that he knew, then they should have known that he knew that they knew that he knew. Damnit damnit damnit.:bang2:

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Undisputed;1225229 said:
Enough to make ya sick.

Sure Payton knows us. But Zimmer and Parcells should have known that he knew. And if Payton knew that they knew that he knew, then they should have known that he knew that they knew that he knew. Damnit damnit damnit.:bang2:

Payton had the definite advantage. I mean, he not only knew the philosophy, he knew the individual players. He's got guys like Fujita and Shanle who know SPECIFICALLY what the LB's are told to do. We knew Payton's general philosophy, but he never had the type of weapons (Brees, Bush) in Dallas to fully utlize the playcalling he threw out there tonight.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
The defense has given up way too many points this year & can't hold a lead against good teams w/out a miracle by Romo & co.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Too bad BP didn't know Payton since he never let him do crap while he was here.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Bleu Star;1225218 said:
Weeks ago I said this game was going to be the game in which Payton laid it on us. This was the only remaining game that worried me. Make no mistake, we will bounce back from this game and go on to thrive in the playoffs. The loss is a bit difficult to take but I can't really say I didn't see it coming. We talked about this in another thread and someone made a joke of my pointing out that Payton knows big D like the back of his hand. :rolleyes:

The X factor did what most should have predicted he would do. He schooled his players on the tendencies of our defense and they proceeded to beat us up and down the field. There's really no surprise there.

The only surprise to me was how easily it happened. I expected a close game regardless. We pretty much stunk up the place. If you want to play the blame game this week please lay it where it belongs. That's squarely on the shoulders of our coaching staff. (specifically the defensive staff)
i don't think its just the fact they beat us, but the fact they trounced us:eek::

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
Brees made his return to Texas stadium where he won the high school state championship. This guy is incredible. He was w/ the Chargers last year when they broke the Colts back & sent them in a tailspin. Romo needs to keep his head up, alot of football to go this year.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
bigbadroy;1225246 said:
i don't think its just the fact they beat us, but the fact they trounced us:eek::

My point exactly. I knew this game wouldn't be easy but didn't expect to get walked all over in our own place. I guess Payton does have our number as expected. Don't expect that to change either until our coaching staff/philosophy changes. If we happen to play the Saints again I fully expect much of the same.

Let's just hope we don't see them in the playoffs. It wasn't so much that they're the Saints. It was more about the x factor which is namely Sean Payton. On offense he knows Zimmer's tendencies as if it were yesterday when he coached against him every day in practice. He knows what works against Zimmer's defense. On defense he knows what we like to do on offense because he used to do it.

We'll regroup. Romo will regroup. The Falcons are in trouble this weekend. We need a good road game to get the team refocused. :starspin

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Clove;1225244 said:
Too bad BP didn't know Payton since he never let him do crap while he was here.

Exactly. Payton showed Bill what a leashed individual can do when let loose. Bill obviously runs a very tight ship and Payton simply showed Bill what he was not letting happen when Payton was the offensive signal caller in Big D. I give mad props to Payton. He's a good coach with a bright future.

Wood

Reaction score
I was not as suprised as most ....maybe because I have had brees on my fantasy team all year and have seen him do this on several occassions. What did suprise me was how well the Saints defense played.