Why the absence of a running game matters

Brax

Reaction score
What you're now talking about is wiggle room and mortgaging/deferring payment for a handful of years. Paying epic percentages of money to a few players limits that wiggle room and costs you quality players on your roster. The lie is saying that those epic contracts don't affect your roster and your team, they absolutely do, especially when those overpaid players are incapable of making up for the lack of a balanced roster. Could Jerry have picked up a better running back, sure. Could he also have replaced the exodus of talent from the defense as well? Nope.
You are correct in my opinion Zeke is costing the team 8 million this season, as an example without the bad contract with 2 years dead money a better RB could be signed. The list goes on, Jerry does it his way but his way hasn’t worked for 29 seasons, maybe a different approach is needed

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry told us the answer “Dak has to do more with less” there’s another big contract coming up so Jerry will be funding it partially with rollover cap and lower end players. He put his money on 4-5 players and expects them to do it all,
He wants fame to be resting on his own picked players - bias, not purely on play.

kskboys

Reaction score
When it gets blamed for not being able to sign a good RB for cheap (Henry), but you decide to count a washed up RB like Zeke twice against the cap, then yeah, it's one hell of a big lie.
Henry's making 8 mil. Zeke is making 2-3. Not a good example.

kskboys

Reaction score
What you're now talking about is wiggle room and mortgaging/deferring payment for a handful of years. Paying epic percentages of money to a few players limits that wiggle room and costs you quality players on your roster. The lie is saying that those epic contracts don't affect your roster and your team, they absolutely do, especially when those overpaid players are incapable of making up for the lack of a balanced roster. Could Jerry have picked up a better running back, sure. Could he also have replaced the exodus of talent from the defense as well? Nope.
Very well said.

Think of it this way. Every team is limited as to how much they can spend. Soooooo, spending 20+% on one player doesn't matter? I mean, did some people flunk math?

kskboys

Reaction score
I just want to revisit the offseason real quick. Jerry n Stephen believed RB was a position that could be filled by a JAG because it wasn't that important.

Ok, now there was several quality starter level RB in FA, and the draft had some guys well into the 3rd Round.

Fast forward to now there's a RB resurgence, and top teams are benefiting from investing in RBs. These guys are in over their head.
I understand that the casual NFL fan believes BSPN spew about RB's, but an NFL GM absolutely cannot fall for the obvious falsehood that RB's don't matter.

kskboys

Reaction score
You are correct in my opinion Zeke is costing the team 8 million this season, as an example without the bad contract with 2 years dead money a better RB could be signed. The list goes on, Jerry does it his way but his way hasn’t worked for 29 seasons, maybe a different approach is needed
Of course, but that has nothing to do w/ what they paid him this season being equal to what they could've gotten Henry for.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, they’ve already been doing that for years. In fact every team does it to varying degrees. All of the teams winning SBs have been doing it for years. The question to me is this: Does this FO want to win more than it wants to be worried about the cap? Apparently not.
Know what else they've been doing? Not paying WR's monstrous contracts!!!!!!!

Bob, it really is an apples and oranges comparison. We are now paying 114 mil/season to 3 players. Which teams that are winning super bowls are doing that?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The next post where you’re not *****ing will be your first.

kskboys

Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
- Washington has no major stars at RB ... nor supposed All star studs on their OL .. yet they manage a better run game than what our
utter mess is here in Dallas ?

- We're supposed to have Tyler Smith and Zack Martin on our OL, but the OL blocking scheme is an utter mess (per OL coach Solaru)
Our run design scheme is still an utter mess with OL and RB coaches

- Front office literally gave the coaches jack squat non-factors at RB personnel with a slow lumbering zeke ..Rico whose
barely decent at best, ..and whose really our best run skill RB ...and then there's sympathic draft pick Deuce Vaughn whose
skill set shiftiness and short stature is useless in this Solari/McCarthy offense.
If there's a worse RB personnel unit in the NFL, i'd wonder what team would that be.

- An undrafted RB Jordan Mason can jump into a Shanahan system and scheme and still bring productivity.
We simply do not have such a coaching system or scheme to get away with such an access., much less player personnel.

- We won't be able to survive such a mess at RB and OL scheme this year - next offseason the hope is we can overhaul the
entire coaching staff (save TE coach Luma Well) ..and re-start it with a new, improve staff - with hopefully a Shanhan like
creative coaching staff and then address the RB issue in the NFL draft and FA.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the opposite applies to our offense. We have got to back people off if we're gonna ever have a running game.
Because against McCarthy, teams just sit on the short passes and run game.
I'm not saying it will solve everything. because our blocking scheme and rookies are suffering a wee bit

Beaker42

Reaction score
Many of us predicted how this was going to go, and so far it has gone exactly as called. Malpractice at the GM level is directly hampering the season when there were many easy fixes for cheap during the off season. Just unbelievable that this franchise is held back this way.
Unfortunately it’s just like my Blackhawks - took Bill Wirtz’s passing for the franchise to thrive and prosper. Then again, Rocky Wirtz was Einstein compared to Jethro Stephen.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Henry's making 8 mil. Zeke is making 2-3. Not a good example.
Come on, man. Don't be that pedantic. The point is that Zeke is a waste of time, and Henry could've been acquired easily without any cap issues. It doesn't have to be a perfect pennies to pennies ratio for that to be correct.

kskboys

Reaction score
- Washington has no major stars at RB ... nor supposed All star studs on their OL .. yet they manage a better run game than what our
utter mess is here in Dallas ?

- We're supposed to have Tyler Smith and Zack Martin on our OL, but the OL blocking scheme is an utter mess (per OL coach Solaru)
Our run design scheme is still an utter mess with OL and RB coaches

- Front office literally gave the coaches jack squat non-factors at RB personnel with a slow lumbering zeke ..Rico whose
barely decent at best, ..and whose really our best run skill RB ...and then there's sympathic draft pick Deuce Vaughn whose
skill set shiftiness and short stature is useless in this Solari/McCarthy offense.
If there's a worse RB personnel unit in the NFL, i'd wonder what team would that be.

- An undrafted RB Jordan Mason can jump into a Shanahan system and scheme and still bring productivity.
We simply do not have such a coaching system or scheme to get away with such an access., much less player personnel.

- We won't be able to survive such a mess at RB and OL scheme this year - next offseason the hope is we can overhaul the
entire coaching staff (save TE coach Luma Well) ..and re-start it with a new, improve staff - with hopefully a Shanhan like
creative coaching staff and then address the RB issue in the NFL draft and FA.
I don't understand. What does having major stars have to do w/ anything?

WASH has Robinson and Ekeler at RB. Either one is easily better than our entire RB corps combined.

kskboys

Reaction score
Come on, man. Don't be that pedantic. The point is that Zeke is a waste of time, and Henry could've been acquired easily without any cap issues. It doesn't have to be a perfect pennies to pennies ratio for that to be correct.
1. Zeke is a waste of time, agreed.
2. It would've been difficult to fit Henry's contract under the cap.