Why the absence of a running game matters

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And Zeke is making 2 mil.

Henry is making 5 mil this season, and 9 mil next. And has 2 mill in incentives in 2025.

So, it's not only this season, we'd have had to make 9 mil of room next season. And that's w/ Parsons coming up.
Yep and why we should have used at least a 4th round pick on a RB. There were some there which could be making a difference.

And why aren’t we using Zeke more?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It matters because then you are saying Dak is gonna carry this team to the promised land. We all know for a fact that’s not happening. He falls apart when the pressure is on. This team would have to be about 75% run oriented. And even then, I still wouldn’t trust Dak to do his part.
While I don’t think he’s capable of carrying us to promise land he could be enough to keep us afloat hovering around .500 battling for a playoff spot which unfortunately is probably our best expectation this season due to mismanagement by FO.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a bigger problem with not drafting a RB. There were some available even in 4th round .

Yea, Lance is a rather expensive 3rd backup QB.

But our FO totally debunked liking our guys . Guess they thought Elliott would be enough. And why aren’t we playing him more.

So many questions . My hunch is we’ll over react in draft next year using a top pick for RB and WR. Typical for our FO.
That’s always been this FO’s mode of operation - be reactive instead of being proactive. Our FO waits until it’s a glaring problem that any fan can see a mile away before addressing it.

They wait and see how the rest of the league does things and then react. After over-valuing and over-paying Zeke a few years ago they saw how the rest of the league is not valuing RBs as much, so they react by acting like any back or committee of backs will be fine, and refuse to draft a RB. And as you said Greggo, they will react in the 2025 draft by drafting a RB.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Yep and why we should have used at least a 4th round pick on a RB. There were some there which could be making a difference.

And why aren’t we using Zeke more?
I think Jones was so emotionally invested in Brooks after he was taken their will to draft an RB was crushed. But it was stupid to be that stubborn and avoid a glaring need.

Zeke may be washed which maybe is why Rico has been getting more work and starting? But who knows, frankly I'm a little surprised how little he's played the last 2 games.

75boyz

Reaction score
I mean BESIDES just the sheer mountain of evidence of run game success as it relates to Sleepnumber's win/loss record...

I read on another site where this years metrics reflect that our oline is ranked 7th in winning the advanced run block stats.

Kinda goes back to what I said in the offseason.
And that was that I hoped that we don't end up a good run blocking oline and not have good enough running backs to get the job done.

And by that data, that appears to be exactly what is happening.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Pretty convenient to leave the two teams who are 4-0, a team who is 3-0, and a team who is 3-1 off of your list. Four of those teams are also propped up by rushing QBs. Almost like it's a meaningless point.

As always, passing game success is what matters.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I mean BESIDES just the sheer mountain of evidence of run game success as it relates to Sleepnumber's win/loss record...\
This evidence does not exist. Dropback EPA is the only metric that correlates to winning. Here's the top 10 through 2022 and 23

1. SF
2. KC
3. BUF
4. DAL
5. DET
6. MIA
7. PHI
8. CIN
9. GB
10. JAX

That's basically all of your good teams. Pretty simple.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Henry's making 8 mil. Zeke is making 2-3. Not a good example.
Wrong. Zeke also has $6m dead cap hit from his previous deal. He said $8m is what Zeke "costs" the Cowboys, and that is accurate.
Know what else they've been doing? Not paying WR's monstrous contracts!!!!!!!

Bob, it really is an apples and oranges comparison. We are now paying 114 mil/season to 3 players. Which teams that are winning super bowls are doing that?
114/m is a pointless number, because cap hit is what matters AND salaries rise as the cap does, so 114m isn't a benchmark for anything. But for fun, assuming a $285m cap hit next year...AAV as % of cap at $114m would be 40%.

Top 3 AAV as Percentage of cap

2023 KC: 40.37
2022 KC: 41.56
2021 LAR: 41.12

So to the question of "who wins Super Bowls doing that?" the answer is all of them.

erod

Reaction score
It’s still very early in the 2024 NFL season but it is interesting that many of the teams off to a good start have excellent running games. And also interesting that teams with a balanced attack on offense - being able to pass AND run have the best chances in the playoffs.

Currently the top 6 teams at running the ball are:
  1. Packers (612 yards, 204 yards per game, 5.5 ypc)
  2. Ravens (610 yards, 203 ypg, 5.9 ypc)
  3. Eagles (502 yards, 167 ypg, 5.0 ypc)
  4. Lions (489 yards, 163 ypg, 4.8 ypc)
  5. Commanders (461 yards, 154 ypg, 4.8 ypc)
  6. Saints (459 yards, 153 ypg, 4.4 ypc)
Cowboys are 23rd running the ball, have 301 yards (before the giants game), avg 100 yds, and 3.5 ypc. Frankly, I’m surprised it’s even this much.

The reason I’m even bringing this up is simple - teams that can run the ball have an opportunity to open up other aspects of the offense. This league is a passing league, most defenses are built to stop the pass, so if you have a good running game, you have a much better chance to keep defenses honest. And in the playoffs where defenses are capable of taking something away from the offense, it’s important to have multiple options on offense.

Our next opponent, Pittsburg is a good running team but they are also are even better at stopping the run. Their QB Justin Fields is not a particularly good passer but he can run.

The running game for Dallas as it stands today is the biggest weakness this ream has unless stopping the run exceeds it. By playing their safeties super deep against us, defenses are choosing to take away much of the passing game options. And our WR lineup with the exception of Lamb is certainly mediocre.

Until we can give DCs something to be concerned about in the running game, I don’t see our offense being any better than mediocre. If someone can convince me otherwise, please do.
The running game is somewhat dependent on how difficult your passing game is to prepare for and defend.

Dak is easy preparation for good defenses. I know I "went there," but it's true.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The running game is somewhat dependent on how difficult your passing game is to prepare for and defend.

Dak is easy preparation for good defenses. I know I "went there," but it's true.
And even easier with no running game or even threat of it.

Lamb still has our longest run from scrimmage this year. Lol

kskboys

Reaction score
This evidence does not exist. Dropback EPA is the only metric that correlates to winning. Here's the top 10 through 2022 and 23

1. SF
2. KC
3. BUF
4. DAL
5. DET
6. MIA
7. PHI
8. CIN
9. GB
10. JAX

That's basically all of your good teams. Pretty simple.
DALL, Cincy, and JAX are not good teams right now. GB is questionable.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wrong. Zeke also has $6m dead cap hit from his previous deal. He said $8m is what Zeke "costs" the Cowboys, and that is accurate.

114/m is a pointless number, because cap hit is what matters AND salaries rise as the cap does, so 114m isn't a benchmark for anything. But for fun, assuming a $285m cap hit next year...AAV as % of cap at $114m would be 40%.

Top 3 AAV as Percentage of cap

2023 KC: 40.37
2022 KC: 41.56
2021 LAR: 41.12

So to the question of "who wins Super Bowls doing that?" the answer is all of them.
Since you changed the question, your answer is irrelevant.

What matters is the average of the guaranteed money.

AAV sounds like one of those meaningless stats.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s still very early in the 2024 NFL season but it is interesting that many of the teams off to a good start have excellent running games. And also interesting that teams with a balanced attack on offense - being able to pass AND run have the best chances in the playoffs.

Cowboys are 23rd running the ball, have 301 yards (before the giants game), avg 100 yds, and 3.5 ypc. Frankly, I’m surprised it’s even this much.

The reason I’m even bringing this up is simple - teams that can run the ball have an opportunity to open up other aspects of the offense. This league is a passing league, most defenses are built to stop the pass, so if you have a good running game, you have a much better chance to keep defenses honest. And in the playoffs where defenses are capable of taking something away from the offense, it’s important to have multiple options on offense.

Our next opponent, Pittsburg is a good running team but they are also are even better at stopping the run. Their QB Justin Fields is not a particularly good passer but he can run.

The running game for Dallas as it stands today is the biggest weakness this ream has unless stopping the run exceeds it. By playing their safeties super deep against us, defenses are choosing to take away much of the passing game options. And our WR lineup with the exception of Lamb is certainly mediocre.

Until we can give DCs something to be concerned about in the running game, I don’t see our offense being any better than mediocre. If someone can convince me otherwise, please do.
  1. Packers (612 yards, 204 yards per game, 5.5 ypc) 2-2 like us
  2. Ravens (610 yards, 203 ypg, 5.9 ypc) hmm also 2-2
  3. Eagles (502 yards, 167 ypg, 5.0 ypc) Also 2-2
  4. Lions (489 yards, 163 ypg, 4.8 ypc) havent payed 4th game yet
  6. Saints (459 yards, 153 ypg, 4.4 ypc) 2-2

Look I'm with you we we need to get something going with our run game but let's be real like I said up there most of those teams are also two and two their run game is not helping them be better at the moment...

so yeah let's hope they get it going let's hope Mike McCarthy can figure it out let's hope bringing up Dalvin cook will get us up a couple notches but let's not cream all over these teams they're all two and two like us, outside of the commanders, who I'm not ready to buy yet but I'm wondering if the run games are bloated when you have a running quarterback like the commanders do and also the Ravens??

I think they're counting all runners because whenever I look it up online like in the NFL for rushing yards the quarterbacks are all in there so that's kind of a unbalanced way of looking at it..

I'm not sure how much jalen hurts is running right now but that's nice we could use a stronger run game but how does it help us in the past??

we had DeMarco Murray had one of the best ever seasons in the NFL didn't do anything in the playoffs again got beat by the Packers we had Ezekiel Elliott in his prime his rookie year one of the best rookie years ever got beat by the Packers in the playoffs, weren't they one and done on those??

but we've had some great running games it has not helped us in the playoffs it's more of the offensive line in the scheming isn't getting the dogs when I look over at the 49ers but you didn't put up there CFC goes out back up who I've never heard of has a couple back-to-back 100 yard games if I remember right there back up receiver no one thought would do anything had a better game than Brandon iuke I mean literally Jennings is tearing it up I mean this is what happens when your scheme is better and part of that is the run scheme they don't do anything with it this is mostly on Mike McCarthy this isn't about bringing in a premier running back because I don't know if Emmett Smith could do anything with this particular line in this particular scheme with this particular play calling I'm putting it all Mike McCarthy to get this **** fixed.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Since you changed the question, your answer is irrelevant.

What matters is the average of the guaranteed money.

AAV sounds like one of those meaningless stats.
What are you talking about? AAV is the per year number that you are using to calculate 114 lol

rambo2

Reaction score

The first 3 teams on your list are 2 and 2 just like the Cowboys.

fansince68

Reaction score
Solari is the problem. The game passed him by like 20 years ago. But MM always wants to hire his cronies
Our entire braintrust is a collection of outdated old coots. I should know, I'm an old coot myself. Head coach, defense coach. O line, owner...all old coots.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I just want to revisit the offseason real quick. Jerry n Stephen believed RB was a position that could be filled by a JAG because it wasn't that important.

Ok, now there was several quality starter level RB in FA, and the draft had some guys well into the 3rd Round.

Fast forward to now there's a RB resurgence, and top teams are benefiting from investing in RBs. These guys are in over their head.
They’ve been in over their head since Jimmy’s dynasty team got old and lost players to free agency. Without Jimmy’s roster building skills, Jerry and Giggles are just winging it. They trend chase two years behind the trends regardless if they have the right roster and Jerry still hasnt decided what kind of team to build.