Why the constant shotgun formation?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Landry brought the shotgun back to give Staubach an advantage. It was typically only used in 3rd and long yardage.

Why is this team now constantly going into shotgun formation on it seems, almost every play? What's with the quick trap out of the shotgun? Why be in the shotgun on short yardage plays? They even go into the shotgun inside the 5.

To me, being in shotgun formation tells your opponent what you're not going to do. It's easier for a defense to read what you're not going to do as opposed to what you are, which makes it all the more difficult to succeed..

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The shotgun is a staple of just about every offense in the NFL today. And the Cowboys run out of the shotgun to keep defenses honest and not just pass every single time they line up in it.

It's not because of Dak; or Kellen Moore's Boise State background.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The shotgun is a staple of just about every offense in the NFL today. And the Cowboys run out of the shotgun to keep defenses honest and not just pass every single time they line up in it.

It's not because of Dak; or Kellen Moore's Boise State background.
true lol apparently they dont watch a lot of football, college or pros,,this is the way the new nfl has been for sometime now..

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Landry brought the shotgun back to give Staubach an advantage. It was typically only used in 3rd and long yardage.

Why is this team now constantly going into shotgun formation on it seems, almost every play? What's with the quick trap out of the shotgun? Why be in the shotgun on short yardage plays? They even go into the shotgun inside the 5.

To me, being in shotgun formation tells your opponent what you're not going to do. It's easier for a defense to read what you're not going to do as opposed to what you are, which makes it all the more difficult to succeed..
Dak is a top 5 QB this season

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Because our QB since high-school can't pass under center.
He is so bad reading defenses and add to that his "Panic" syndrome the Shot-gun is mandatory for him as it gives him more time and better a view of the field.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
I have no problem with the use oh shotgun, but I do agree that they need to sprinkle in just a little more under center play.

agree that 2nd down play should have been out of single back formation much easier to get two yards with a full head of steam

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dak has trouble under center with the 3 and 5 step drops. Its been a problem from day one. Its so bad that we run something like 80% of the time he's under center. The whole offense needs to be junked and adapted for Dak. The Ravens junked a traditional offense for Lamar Smith. We need to do something like that for Dak.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...tt-kellen-moore-play-calling-third-and-short/

Last edited:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Because our QB since high-school can't pass under center.
He is so bad reading defenses and add to that his "Panic" syndrome the Shot-gun is mandatory for him as it gives him more time and better a view of the field.
somebody's footwork is so bad, it eliminates the possibly he trips and falls moving back.
Prescott, Career Passer Rating
from shotgun 95.1
under center 103.6

nobody

Reaction score
I think perhaps it displays a lack of confidence in the O-line's ability to protect at times.

ryanbabs

Reaction score

It’s a Garrett special. It was this way virtually every play with Romo.