Why the constant shotgun formation?

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
True, but is being in shotgun so much hurting the run game? I think so.

Every handoff is deep, Zeke isn't getting a running start, and of course there's no fullback leading the way.
I watch a lot of football , a ton of football. Every game I can. I see a lot of hand offs from the shot gun. I'm starting to believe it's a Zeke limitation and not a Dak limitation. Not that Zeke isn't a good back but that's not how to use him, It's like when Murray went to the Eagles , he just couldn't run out of the pistol. I noticed in the 2nd Giants game Zeke was setting deep in the backfield, 7 or 8 yards. That's his best style of running.

HungryLion

Reaction score
True, but is being in shotgun so much hurting the run game? I think so.

Every handoff is deep, Zeke isn't getting a running start, and of course there's no fullback leading the way.

I mean we can all argue if Zeke is the same player he was before.

but at Ohio State Zeke ran out of the shotgun all the time. The same thing goes for his time with the Cowboys.

Running from under center has its advantages. Yes Zeke is good if he can get a head of steam. No doubt about it.

but Zeke is very very very used to running out of the shotgun and almost all of his success has been running out of shotgun, since college.

Reactions: CWR

HungryLion

Reaction score
I would also argue that Dak is actually good at running play action passes from under center.

He isn’t good at 3-5 step drops. But the cowboys hardly use them.

Dak is very good at running playaction from under center. He has very good ball skills and hides the ball well. He is also good at turning his back to the defense and then turning around and finding his read smoothly.

the cowboys offense just hardly runs any playaction passes from under center.

is that on Dak or the scheme or playcaller?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QuickDraw brings up a good point of discussion.

I’m just not sure that everyone isn’t doing it now. I’d guess it’s to be in better position to audible reading defenses.

I'm not sure why we still put Dak under center at all.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember asking my future father in law that at the wedding.

Reactions: CWR

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it’s a fair question. Is playing from under center a necessity in the modern NFL?

If we are going to run 80% of the time, it makes no sense at all. The one drawback of the shot gun is that its hard to disguise a run. All of Zeke's ineffective runs in the 4th quarter came out of the shot gun. Its hard to run when there is no threat of play action.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
it’s a fair question. Is playing from under center a necessity in the modern NFL?
It’s a good question.

And QuickDraw has a valid concern. We still see QB’s under center but it’s not the norm. It might have something to do with in most cases only 1 RB behind QB.

It gives the QB another second to respond I’d think. But it does appear to expose more of the play which is probably Quickdraws concern.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we are going to run 80% of the time, it makes no sense at all. The one drawback of the shot gun is that its hard to disguise a run. All of Zeke's ineffective runs in the 4th quarter came out of the shot gun. Its hard to run when there is no threat of play action.
Very valid point. Totally takes out play action.

HungryLion

Reaction score

There is the threat of playaction in the shotgun though. The cowboys run a lot of playaction from the shotgun. They run a lot of run pass option from the shotgun too.

the ineffective runs were because the offensive line was getting smacked around.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is the threat of playaction in the shotgun though. The cowboys run a lot of playaction from the shotgun. They run a lot of run pass option from the shotgun too.

the ineffective runs were because the offensive line was getting smacked around.
Yea it was beat badly. I really don’t believe our OL is the same level it’s been . It’s beat up. Everyone is nursing injuries. Conner out for surgery and Freddie isn’t the same. They’re all hurting.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Play action isn't as effective from the shotgun. It is traditionally run from under center.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Its hard to run against a defense that knows that your about to run the ball unless you got Larry Allen out there.. We are terrible disguising intentions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Play action isn't as effective from the shotgun. It is traditionally run from under center.

of course it’s traditionally run from under center. I would have to see the numbers that say it’s less effective from shotgun than under center though.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
of course it’s traditionally run from under center. I would have to see the numbers that say it’s less effective from shotgun than under center though.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/the-best-time-to-utilize-play-action/

Ask and you shall receive. This guy did a study of play action during the 2018 season. It works best under center which makes sense. The purpose of play action is to make the defense think its a run and react accordingly........only realizing its not when its too late. In shot gun, everyone can see the ball and handoffs are super obvious. It is harder to fake them.