Why the constant shotgun formation?

nobody

Reaction score
he's got one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. come on man. sheesh

And their protection has sucked against teams with winning records. Watch the games rather than look at what they have on paper

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak is a top 5 QB this season

True, but is being in shotgun so much hurting the run game? I think so.

Every handoff is deep, Zeke isn't getting a running start, and of course there's no fullback leading the way.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
And their protection has sucked against teams with winning records. Watch the games rather than look at what they have on paper
most of his problem is he holds the ball too long, then panic when he gets pressured. how long do the guys need to hold their block?
Blockhead Darnald didn't have the offensive line but got the ball out fast.

just think Tebow could have been a superstar with that sissy twist crap.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Do y’all watch football anymore?

this is the scenario with almost all young quarterbacks in the NFL. A lot of colleges don’t even run plays from under center anymore. Young QB’s are coming into the league without this skill. It usually takes years to learn it.

seriously watch other teams in the NFL. Most of them are in shotgun just as often as the cowboys. It’s just the reality of the league nowadays.

I’m not a huge fan of it. But it is what it is.

HungryLion

Reaction score
No kidding.

Attempts from under center
(as a % of total attempts)

Cousins 56.5%
Jackson 31.0%
Stafford 29.6%
Carr 29.5%
Prescott 22.3%
Brees 22.1%
Rodgers 18.4%
Watson 15.6%
Wilson 14.7%
Mahomes 8.2%

Thanks for posting the numbers @percyhoward. I didn’t know the actual numbers. But I did know that I’m not crazy when I watch NFL games and see other teams run their offense from the shotgun all the time too.

this is one of the ways that college football has crept into the NFL over the years. I believe it’s a direct result of many college QB’s not being taught or using the skill of playing under center.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for posting the numbers @percyhoward. I didn’t know the actual numbers. But I did know that I’m not crazy when I watch NFL games and see other teams run their offense from the shotgun all the time too.

this is one of the ways that college football has crept into the NFL over the years. I believe it’s a direct result of many college QB’s not being taught or using the skill of playing under center.

In 44 games, he has never dropped back and passed after taking the snap from under center more than three or four times in game. When he was a rookie, it was sometimes never and often only once a game.
After three years as an NFL quarterback, Prescott still doesn’t routinely drop back into the pocket and throw the ball. He did it just twice against the Saints, twice versus Miami, twice in Washington, and three times in the season opener.

To put it another way: Prescott has 127 passing attempts through four games this season, but only nine have come after he dropped back from under center. That means that 118 of his attempts have come off play-action or from the shotgun (93%).

Imagine being an offensive coordinator and knowing that if you want to call a pass play that isn’t a wide receiver screen or quick slant, you basically have two options: use play-action from under center or have your quarterback start in the shotgun.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...tt-kellen-moore-play-calling-third-and-short/

HungryLion

Reaction score
In 44 games, he has never dropped back and passed after taking the snap from under center more than three or four times in game. When he was a rookie, it was sometimes never and often only once a game.
After three years as an NFL quarterback, Prescott still doesn’t routinely drop back into the pocket and throw the ball. He did it just twice against the Saints, twice versus Miami, twice in Washington, and three times in the season opener.

To put it another way: Prescott has 127 passing attempts through four games this season, but only nine have come after he dropped back from under center. That means that 118 of his attempts have come off play-action or from the shotgun (93%).

Imagine being an offensive coordinator and knowing that if you want to call a pass play that isn’t a wide receiver screen or quick slant, you basically have two options: use play-action from under center or have your quarterback start in the shotgun.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...tt-kellen-moore-play-calling-third-and-short/

What does that have to do with the fact that most NFL offenses run their offense primarily out of the shotgun in the modern NFL.

I’m not arguing that Prescott does throw from under center often or that he is good at it.

I’m arguing that MOST QB’s in the NFL, particularly young ones, play the same way. Percy’s numbers back that hypothesis up.

robjay04

Reaction score
What does that have to do with the fact that most NFL offenses run their offense primarily out of the shotgun in the modern NFL.

I’m not arguing that Prescott does throw from under center often or that he is good at it.

I’m arguing that MOST QB’s in the NFL, particularly young ones, play the same way. Percy’s numbers back that hypothesis up.

This is the new NFL.

A few years ago...many pundits thought the league would have a QB shortage because of the lack of colleges running a pro scheme.

Turned out the opposite is true, the NFL has adapted the college style of offense and the league has more QBs playing at a high level than probably any other time in the history of the sport.

Why do we have posts questions Dak or our offense as a whole?

BleedinBlue

Reaction score

funny how Mahomes which many consider the best young talent in the NFL takes such a low percentage of snaps from under center.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’m arguing that MOST QB’s in the NFL, particularly young ones, play the same way.

I'm not arguing that Dak isn't young. The article says his limitations make the offense very predictable for opposing defenses and limit the OC play calls. Thats no big deal when your Lamar Jackson. He just takes off and runs. Russel Wilson isn't a pocket passer either. But, he is elusive in the pocket. Who else you got? Mahomes is a great pocket passer. Goff is a great pocket passer. Wentz can do it.

The issue with Dak is that he's not a pocket passer or elusive in the pocket, and he doesn't run. Its a problem against good teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Do y’all watch football anymore?

this is the scenario with almost all young quarterbacks in the NFL. A lot of colleges don’t even run plays from under center anymore. Young QB’s are coming into the league without this skill. It usually takes years to learn it.

seriously watch other teams in the NFL. Most of them are in shotgun just as often as the cowboys. It’s just the reality of the league nowadays.

I’m not a huge fan of it. But it is what it is.
Dak didn't even learn how to play the QB position from under center until he got to the Cowboys. Go back and look at his college games, he never played under center. He picked it up pretty fast with the Cowboys but they don't play that way much anymore.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm not arguing that Dak isn't young. The article says his limitations make the offense very predictable for opposing defenses and limit the OC play calls. Thats no big deal when your Lamar Jackson. He just takes off and runs. Russel Wilson isn't a pocket passer either. But, he is elusive in the pocket. Who else you got? Mahomes is a great pocket passer. Goff is a great pocket passer. Wentz can do it.

The issue with Dak is that he's not a pocket passer or elusive in the pocket, and he doesn't run. Its a problem against good teams.

Dak isn’t a “pocket passer”? You do know that the offensive line still forms a pocket even out of the shotgun right?

A lack of throwing from under center does make the offense more predictable when running plays from under center. Yes.

however, with the increased use in the NFL as a whole. Including the cowboys, of using read options and RPO’s it has increased the unpredictability while in the shotgun.

teams in general run out of the shotgun more than they used to. Having a QB who can do a read option and keep the ball adds unpredictability and by running the RB out of the shotgun, it creates options on RPO’s where the QB can either hand the ball lff, run himself or throw a pass. Which adds to the unpredictability.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score

did you form that opinion after reading the article or did that article reinforce your opinion? I checked who wrote it, never heard of the guy... he could be my neighbor for all I know. You say Mahomes is a great pocket passer as if all Dak does is roll out. You've seen Mahomes play ..right

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
did you form that opinion after reading the article or did that article reinforce your opinion? I checked who wrote it, never heard of the guy... he could be my neighbor for all I know. You say Mahomes is a great pocket passer as if all Dak does is roll out. You've seen Mahomes play ..right

Do you have an opinion? If so, find an article to support it like I did. Thats how debate usually works.
you should read more and post less.

https://www.foxsports.com/kansas-ci...ahomes-is-equally-dangerous-either-way-102518

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is the new NFL.

A few years ago...many pundits thought the league would have a QB shortage because of the lack of colleges running a pro scheme.

Turned out the opposite is true, the NFL has adapted the college style of offense and the league has more QBs playing at a high level than probably any other time in the history of the sport.

Why do we have posts questions Dak or our offense as a whole?

Good question. The offense isn’t the problem for the most part.