Why the Cowboys should stay with Dak, they can't draft one better

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Mercy. Some of these posts members put a lot of time in. Personally, I can't stand long posts and refuse to read them. But give "like" for their effort, whatever it says. :muttley:

:laugh:;)

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
You want to ask all them silly questions because you think Dak is some great qb and trying to put excuses for why not to draft someone better. The draft and he’ll life doesn’t really work like that. You have to scout players and hopefully make the best choice and if it wasn’t like that why would anybody ever pick a bust. That’s why people like you and the whole who is the exact person question is stupid question straight up.
Lol. Unbelievable. Talk about putting words in someone’s mouth.

You completely misunderstood my post which I can understand because 1. I didn’t clarify further and I was commenting on something specific and 2. well I’ll get to that in a second. I am actually all for drafting a QB in the first round if it is THE RIGHT GUY. And no I don’t think Dak is all that great.

As for the second reason you misunderstood, well you come across as the kind who reacts on emotion and can’t think or see things about 3 seconds beyond your own *** without jumping to conclusions and running off at the mouth.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mahomes was a once in a decade raw talent.
I am not stating this just NOW btw but stated previously how much insanely better he was as a college kid than Baker Mayfield who eventually went 1st overall.

Mahomes has one of the strongest arms int he history of the game but also has a feel with his arm only baseball players have. Weird angles and no look stuff just part of an arsenal he has been building since a small kid.

He was a freak in baseball, basketball and then finally took up football late in high school and well that was super easy too.

At Tech he was seen as a 2 sport baseball first guy but Kliff developed him TOO well. He eventually gave up easy millions in baseball and focused on football.
On a team with no OL/TE to speak of he averaged 50 points a game.

When he came out I said, that's the one guy you give up Dak for.

But since Dak entered the draft there is literally just that one guy.
I wouldn't prefer Watson, the redhead with the Jets, Wentz, Goff...
I might prefer Lamar Jackson but not quite making that call after 1 good season by LJ.

So you don't just go find a QB in the draft.

Well free agency right??
LOL. No.
I can't recall the last true FA QB who made the Super Bowl.
Foles, I guess, and we know he only did part of the job.
Season long starter to make the Super Bowl at FA?
No idea.

But Brady!!!
Tom Brady is the QB version of Jason Witten. He is excellent in mnay ways but also well past his athletic prime. He has tricks and tools he can use but the overall player he is falls daily.

Bridgewater is great!!
Teddy B is a really good young QB option.
Someone will pay him a fortune.
But main issue there is he has started 16 games 1 time in his career.
Dak is supremely available and physically stout.
Teddy B is not.

Matt Stafford tho!!!
Stafford is a Dallas kid and he brings a quality arm and a large athletic build to play.
So why not?? Stafford will be 32 and hasn't won more than 9 games since 2014. He's 10 games under .500 as a starting QB.
He has some tools but he hasn't produced many wins.

I mean maybe he can get a couple years in NE with Belichick and win. Would be nice for him. But no team should bet their future or even right now on him short of a known win farm.

But picks plus cap space is great!!!
Kinda is!
But how quickly would you trade Taco Charlton, LVE and ZEKE for Pat Mahomes?
That's the value of a QB.
It trumps any other position by far.

Teams don't win when they play around at QB.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd say there's a fair to middling chance that the Cowboys can, at least, draft a QB that can outdo Cooper Rush.

That, in itself, would probably amount to a step in the right direction, whether that's for a mid-round pick or later.

Of course, if he somehow happened to prove himself equal or better than Dak, congrats would be in order! :)

Last edited:

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Lol. Unbelievable. Talk about putting words in someone’s mouth.

You completely misunderstood my post which I can understand because 1. I didn’t clarify further and I was commenting on something specific and 2. well I’ll get to that in a second. I am actually all for drafting a QB in the first round if it is THE RIGHT GUY. And no I don’t think Dak is all that great.

As for the second reason you misunderstood, well you come across as the kind who reacts on emotion and can’t think or see things about 3 seconds beyond your own *** without jumping to conclusions and running off at the mouth.
So if you can understand why your post might have gotten the reaction it got what’s with all the yacking about putting words in your mouth? This is that very strange behavior I’m talking about from people online. People come online and always offended smh. I “misunderstood” because your point wasn’t that clear as evicdence by your own admission of understanding how your post could be seen the way I took it. All this other stuff is honeslty stereotypical no accountability bs. It don’t have jack expletive to do with my emotions since I’m replying off the exact words you mentioned or didn’t mention not emotion. Maybe you should get your emotions in check instead of blaming me for your incomplete post that could be taken the way I took it.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The biggest unknown is how much authority does MM really have.
Nobody really knows besides Jerry and MM, probably Stephen as well, but that is inconsequential.
The point being is how much influence does MM have other than just staff hire, does MM have the ability to influence who stays and who goes, who we draft?
Im personally more curious at this point on just who MM is to this franchise, how much power does he have.
As a fan base we might have a better understanding soon, as the draft approaches.
Excellent points. The freedom MM has to shape the team is a necessary unknown because I trust him more than the FO.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I don’t have to make Jones look bad. I simply point it out. Lol

I don’t understand this supporting or not supporting Dak. I’m a fan and critic all wrapped up in one and will always speak to what I see as best for Cowboys Football. You may not agree . And my narrative can change pending the circumstances before us.
I just don’t see how you criticize Dak for 4 years while he averaged $1 million per year. And it was only that high due to performance escalators due to significantly outperforming his 4th round rookie contract.

Then afterwards advocate for Dallas to pay him $20 million per year instead of $30 million per year.

If you didn’t like him at $1 million per year there should be no desire for him to be our QB at any price period. And damn sure shouldn’t be an argument to only pay him 20 times more than the was already making.

Not sure what is so difficult to understand about that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just don’t see how you criticize Dak for 4 years while he averaged $1 million per year. And it was only that high due to performance escalators due to significantly outperforming his 4th round rookie contract.

Then afterwards advocate for Dallas to pay him $20 million per year instead of $30 million per year.

If you didn’t like him at $1 million per year there should be no desire for him to be our QB at any price period. And damn sure shouldn’t be an argument to only pay him 20 times more than the was already making.

Not sure what is so difficult to understand about that.
Because I’m assuming we are intent on retaining him. Which if the case I’d prefer paying him in the 20 million range.

Not sure what’s so difficult to grasp?

Just because he was a bargain for 4 years doesn’t exempt him from criticism. I don’t recall complaining about his salary just his ability and performance .

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Because I’m assuming we are intent on retaining him. Which if the case I’d prefer paying him in the 20 million range.

Not sure what’s so difficult to grasp?

Just because he was a bargain for 4 years doesn’t exempt him from criticism. I don’t recall complaining about his salary just his ability and performance .
So why not just advocate for a new QB entirely? That’s what you’ve been wanting while he was outperforming his contract.

pansophy

Reaction score
There has to be a minimum skill level at the position that a team can win with. I dont think we can afford to get much worse at QB and still be competitive, even if we ramp up in other areas.
There are some pretty pedestrian QBs that have won super bowls on really good teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mahomes was a once in a decade raw talent.
I am not stating this just NOW btw but stated previously how much insanely better he was as a college kid than Baker Mayfield who eventually went 1st overall.

Mahomes has one of the strongest arms int he history of the game but also has a feel with his arm only baseball players have. Weird angles and no look stuff just part of an arsenal he has been building since a small kid.

He was a freak in baseball, basketball and then finally took up football late in high school and well that was super easy too.

At Tech he was seen as a 2 sport baseball first guy but Kliff developed him TOO well. He eventually gave up easy millions in baseball and focused on football.
On a team with no OL/TE to speak of he averaged 50 points a game.

When he came out I said, that's the one guy you give up Dak for.

But since Dak entered the draft there is literally just that one guy.
I wouldn't prefer Watson, the redhead with the Jets, Wentz, Goff...
I might prefer Lamar Jackson but not quite making that call after 1 good season by LJ.

So you don't just go find a QB in the draft.

Well free agency right??
LOL. No.
I can't recall the last true FA QB who made the Super Bowl.
Foles, I guess, and we know he only did part of the job.
Season long starter to make the Super Bowl at FA?
No idea.

But Brady!!!
Tom Brady is the QB version of Jason Witten. He is excellent in mnay ways but also well past his athletic prime. He has tricks and tools he can use but the overall player he is falls daily.

Bridgewater is great!!
Teddy B is a really good young QB option.
Someone will pay him a fortune.
But main issue there is he has started 16 games 1 time in his career.
Dak is supremely available and physically stout.
Teddy B is not.

Matt Stafford tho!!!
Stafford is a Dallas kid and he brings a quality arm and a large athletic build to play.
So why not?? Stafford will be 32 and hasn't won more than 9 games since 2014. He's 10 games under .500 as a starting QB.
He has some tools but he hasn't produced many wins.

I mean maybe he can get a couple years in NE with Belichick and win. Would be nice for him. But no team should bet their future or even right now on him short of a known win farm.

But picks plus cap space is great!!!
Kinda is!
But how quickly would you trade Taco Charlton, LVE and ZEKE for Pat Mahomes?
That's the value of a QB.
It trumps any other position by far.

Teams don't win when they play around at QB.
I’m a huge Mahomes fan. Kid is pure gold. But does he make the same impact in Miami or Cinn for example? I doubt it in his first two seasons starting.

I followed the kid at Tech and certainly didn’t see this coming which makes the case you never know sometimes. Yes , he had talent and why he went in 1st round but the team and situation he went into made a big difference.

Much like if Dak hadn’t walked into our offense in 2016 would he have had the same impact. Many of these highly top drafted QB’s go to bad teams and poor situations and why IMO so many are bust.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So why not just advocate for a new QB entirely? That’s what you’ve been wanting while he was outperforming his contract.
If you’d of followed me on other threads and post you’d know more what I have been advocating during this ordeal.

It’s not always about what I want. It’s about working within the parameters Jerry and the Cowboys present.

Do you think the Cowboys are looking for another QB?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This offense is primed to bring in many QB’s that might not make it elsewhere. We don’t need a Mahomes. We need a Tannehill type who aren’t asking for Elite money. So we can continue the Elite supporting cast and use money to beef up defense.

One of these journeyman FA qb might just enhance their career in this offense like Doug Williams , Steve Young or Plunkett did after moving to a better supporting cast. Or a draft pick lower than the top picks on the board late in first or second. Worse case could be an improved backup or future trade bait.

If it doesn’t work we can get up to the plate and swing again next year which would appear much less risky than over committing to what we already know we have.

Now for those that believe it’s been all about coaching then Franchise Tag him so he we can see how he does with this SB caliber HC while also bringing in some competition for leverage.

We don’t have to be stuck with no choices.

Some people get too stuck on the player's skill only and don't see the other parts of the trade-off.

Keep Dak and pay him 35mil or so vs. get journeyman much cheaper and spend the extra money to improve the rest of the team. The journeyman can be worse and we still come out ahead on balance.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yeah KC had Alex Smith coming off a career year, yet still had the foresight to go all in on Mahomes. Andy Reid does next level work with his qbs. His system makes QBS. Hell he got Kevin Colb paid.

Garrett wanted to turn Dak into Peyton Manning. I cant stand coaches that dont coach to players strengths. Thats the reason I really liked the idea of hiring Roman from Baltimore. His work with LJax this season was awesome. He got production out of Alex Smith (with Reid) Kap, and even Tyrod. MM says he coaches to the player, not the scheme. I hope hes right.
So we got Roman>? sounds good, this is why all the dak haters or whiners, should wait and see dak for one year
with new coaches. It might change our minds on dak.
Only problem is jones boys are not going to sign him so could be he holds out.

I cant stand coaches that dont coach to players strengths...... me too, I give kudos to harbaugh and reid for doing that.

Reactions: CWR

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If you’d of followed me on other threads and post you’d know more what I have been advocating during this ordeal.

It’s not always about what I want. It’s about working within the parameters Jerry and the Cowboys present.

Do you think the Cowboys are looking for another QB?

Not now. The last guy we seriously picked with purpose to develop to a starting QB was Dak. I think White was more of a target of opportunity to replace Rush. If they had meant to invest in a policy of trying to develop QBs on the cheap, they would have brought in another last year.

Mike QB School McCarthy seems like a prime guy to run a QB on the cheap investment strategy.

I think Dak is a good franchise QB. But I'd *still* be running a QB on the cheap investment strategy if I had Russell Wilson. It looks like a good investment.

CWR

Reaction score
So we got Roman>? sounds good, this is why all the dak haters or whiners, should wait and see dak for one year
with new coaches. It might change our minds on dak.
Only problem is jones boys are not going to sign him so could be he holds out.

I cant stand coaches that dont coach to players strengths...... me too, I give kudos to harbaugh and reid for doing that.

I dont know if we got >Roman, but MM is supposed to be a QB guru so we will see.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Don’t have to draft one better.

Saving 40 million a year could get by with less if it affords a greater supporting cast.
giphy.gif

Brax

Reaction score
The real question is why is this team so bad at evaluating college QB's?

Where is the disconnect? Romo was undrafted and a suggestion by Peyton.
Dak was like the 4th or 5th choice and the team tried to trade for a guy who ended up a true loser.
Shoot... Jerry was openly heartbroken he couldn't get the trade for that guy!

What is their problem?
Simple , Jerry Jones, the one constant factor for 25 years, with out the Offe
Funny hearing how Dak needs help to win? What QB doesn't? When Dallas was going 8-8 with Romo or worse it was because he needed talent around him, KC just won the SB they have a boat load of talent. This is complete non sense claiming Dak needs talent around him to win, so does every winning team out there. This is why the call them winning teams because it is about team. The length people go to so they can rag on Dak really is pathetic
We get it when the team does good Dak is the best, yet all of a sudden when the L’s pile up Dak needs talent. At the beginning of the season I don’t remember complaints about the talent so now after 8-8 the talent sucks and Dak is still great so as I see it you are saying that top talent at most O positions isn’t enough to prop Dak up, so what type of talent does it take to make it Dak survivable?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

We get it when the team does good Dak is the best, yet all of a sudden when the L’s pile up Dak needs talent. At the beginning of the season I don’t remember complaints about the talent so now after 8-8 the talent sucks and Dak is still great so as I see it you are saying that top talent at most O positions isn’t enough to prop Dak up, so what type of talent does it take to make it Dak survivable?
I'm glad all of the scouting boils down to one old man who looks upon his "experts" to make a decision.
He may fall in love with a guy, but he ain't necessarily getting him.

Reactions: CWR

DandyDon52

Reaction score

it wasnt talent, it was coaching and attitude of the players, they got tired of the same old stuff and gave up.
They were just playing for the paychecks.
I think they gave up after the NE game.
JG and kellen didnt use dak the right way, or elliot, they passed when they should run, and ran when they should pass.
Add to that bad ST and Punting and FG's and it was just a mess, Mahomes would have had a hard time here last season.
The games they won, 5 were against wash ny and phil, then miami and some other bad teams.
The whole team was bad last year.