Why the "Dak is elite" narrative is so flawed

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What Romo did 15 years ago is much more impressive than what Dak did this year.

And I believe both guys are losers.

You’re being ridiculous! Dak was better than Romo in every category. Why don’t you just admit you hate him and be done with it. Romo’s game in 2007 went further into the toilet than Dak’s this season. Romo threw a career high 19 INT’s. His game went completely down the drain in December/January. Go review his passer ratings. That was a better Cowboys team than we had this season until his game fell apart. There wasn’t any season more disappointing than the 2007 season. Had Dak played as poorly as Romo in 2007 from Dec on, both Jerry and Stephen would have jumped in front of a moving train.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You’re being ridiculous! Dak was better than Romo in every category. Why don’t you just admit you hate him and be done with it. Romo’s game in 2007 went further into the toilet than Dak’s this season. Romo threw a career high 19 INT’s. His game went completely down the drain in December/January. Go review his passer ratings. That was a better Cowboys team than we had this season until his game fell apart. There wasn’t any season more disappointing than that 2007 season. Had Dak played as poorly as Romo in 2007 from Dec on, both Jerry and Stephen would have jumped in front of a moving train.
Nothing you just said changes the fact that Dak and Romo are both losers.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Dak broke some franchise records in 2021. I'm not here to deny that. What I will deny, though, is the significance and relevance of those records.

QB stats in 2021 are very disproportionately inflated, even compared to ~15 years ago. Take a look at this:

In the 2005-2006 season

• 11 QBs passed for more than 20 TDs. One threw for 30+TDs (C. Palmer).
  • Not a single QB threw for over 4,500 yards. Only two QBs threw for over 4,000 yards.
In the 2006-2007 season
  • 10 QBs passed for more than 20 TDs. One threw for 30+TDs (P. Manning).
  • Not a single QB threw for over 4,500 yards. Only two QBs threw for over 4,000 yards.

"Greatness" is relative to the the era of NFL that a QB plays. Style of play and pass-happy rules in 2021 makes the NFL a drastically different league than it was even 15 years ago.

In the 2021-2022 season
  • 19 QBs passed for more than 20 TDs. 9 threw for 30+TDs.
  • 6 QBs threw for over 4,500 yards. 10 QBs threw for over 4,000 yards.
And for those who will invariably try to "get me" by pointing out the 17 game schedule this year, more QBs threw for 30+ TDs in 2020 than 2021 and more QBs threw for over 4,000 yards in 2020 than 2021.

If he were teleported to 2005 and became the Cowboys starting QB, Dak would throw for 19 TDs and ~3,400 yards. That's just the reality. He'd be the equivalent of Kerry Collins or Gus Frerotte. A $40 million Gus Frerotte LOL!

People need to stop conflating gaudy passing stats to greatness. Greatness is much more nuanced than the # of passing TDs a guy has. Great players have "it" when the pressure is on. Dak doesn't.

Watch this video.. it summarizes what I'm saying very well

Dak was elite his first 7 games
The last 11 not so much.

shabazz

Reaction score
Appreciate it brother.

I know this post will garner some hate, but I truly don’t dislike Dak as a player or a person.

I just wish he was more consistent and I wish a lot of people here would recognize some of his deficiencies instead of acting like he’s the best QB ever haha

……as I’ve said in other posts, if the media and certain fans here didn’t try so hard to convince us that Mr. 1-3 in the playoffs is the 2nd coming of Marino, we wouldn’t have a lot of these arguments.

As an example, I personally think that Romo was one of the best quarterbacks the Cowboys have ever had but I don’t have a leg to stand on when untimely turnovers, injuries, and a 2-4 playoff record says otherwise.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ya know the top 5 or 6 qbs in the league are just so much better than the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. Having a 2nd tier qb is ok as long as we have the financial resources to have a great supporting cast…..it is and will always be about the cap space with me….
Agreed! Our prime window for success was with Dak before that $40 million albatross of a cap hit. It’s been proven over and over that it’s 10x more difficult to be championship caliber once the QB takes up 20% of the cap (unless that qb is elite, and like you said, there are very few of those).

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years.
It's so basic and obvious.

Numbers have been steadily rising for QBs almost every single year since the 90s
A 90 passer rating in 2005 is basically a 100+ rating in 2021.

Compare players to their peers in or around the same years.
How many times were they top 5 in a given season for example.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t understand why I keep seeing Dak threads all over the board. Dak has proven to be the 11th-15th quarterback in the NFL. You can win with him with a quality defense, good offensive line and a run game. Dak is a company man that checks all the boxes for the Joneses. Is he light years behind the top 8 quarterbacks in the NFL, yes sir.:grin:

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
The idea of Dak being anything remotely near 'great' is waaaaay in the rear view mirror for 99% of fans. The few that are left holding on to that fantasy are the hard cores and they are resigned to going down with the ship.

See that that bs again , You think because you say it makes it so. 99% of fans??? Mofo Please. Dak is a Good qb, Great remains to be seen. But you dudes want to act like he's a scrub.

And in your circle jerk universe. That is 100% true.

Ever seen any post in the known universe as to why Justin Herbert isn't Great? Matty Ice?

If you've only made post about Dak and why he isnt great. You my mans are a HATER.

COWBOYS FANS TRYING TO CONVINCE OTHER PEOPLE WHY THEIR QB IS "JAG" ON A COWBOYS MESSAGE BOARD

You can get in your little circle jerk group all you want. That's some sick ish there

shabazz

Reaction score
Agreed! Our prime window for success was with Dak before that $40 million albatross of a cap hit. It’s been proven over and over that it’s 10x more difficult to be championship caliber once the QB takes up 20% of the cap (unless that qb is elite, and like you said, there are very few of those).

yup….reminds me of the Seahawks winning with Wilson before his contract killed resigning that defense

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
……as I’ve said in other posts, if the media and certain fans here didn’t try so hard to convince us that Mr. 1-3 in the playoffs is the 2nd coming of Marino, we wouldn’t have a lot of these arguments.

As an example, I personally think that Romo was one of the best quarterbacks the Cowboys have ever had but I don’t have a leg to stand on when untimely turnovers, injuries, and a 2-4 playoff record says otherwise.
I’m right there with you on that. Romo had that “it” factor to a certain degree, but we never got to see him make something out of it, so I can’t and won’t get mad at others when they say he wasn’t that good. Like Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's always ya'lls go to line.

If you're going to be corny at least original.

Why continue to come around if you hate Dak that much? All you do is post BS and trash him. Do you actually get enjoyment doing this? You don’t like him we get it! No need to keep reminding everyone day after day.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
What Romo did 15 years ago is much more impressive than what Dak did this year.

And I believe both guys are losers.
Much more impressive is right considering Oline,so called talent around him , and the way the game is played now compared to then.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t understand why I keep seeing Dak threads all over the board. Dak has proven to be the 11th-15th quarterback in the NFL. You can win with him with a quality defense, good offensive line and a run game. Dak is a company man that checks all the boxes for the Joneses. Is he light years behind the top 8 quarterbacks in the NFL, yes sir.:grin:
Good points! I agree.

There are so many Dak posts because it’s the offseason and we’re bored lol.

And for whatever reason, I wanted to use fact based info to try to convert some of the blind Dak followers! It’ll never work but I’m still giving it a shot :laugh:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The idea of Dak being anything remotely near 'great' is waaaaay in the rear view mirror for 99% of fans. The few that are left holding on to that fantasy are the hard cores and they are resigned to going down with the ship.

See that that bs again , You think because you say it makes it so. 99% of fans??? Mofo Please. Dak is a Good qb, Great remains to be seen. But you dudes want to act like he's a scrub.

And in your circle jerk universe. That is 100% true.

Ever seen any post in the known universe as to why Justin Herbert isn't Great? Matty Ice?

If you've only made post about Dak and why he isnt great. You my mans are a HATER.

COWBOYS FANS TRYING TO CONVINCE OTHER PEOPLE WHY THEIR QB IS "JAG" ON A COWBOYS MESSAGE BOARD

You can get in your little circle jerk group all you want. That's some sick ish there

I’m saying Dak is average to slightly above average. Not a scrub. But also not the anointed savior of the franchise that others make him out to be.

If that makes me a member of a circle jerk universe, I guess I need to go get the lotion.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Why continue to come around if you hate Dak that much? All you do is post BS and trash him. Do you actually get enjoyment doing this?
I am a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. That's why I am here. Just because we have a bum QB doesn't make me any less of a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Ya'll easily confuse Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys and make it as if Dak is just as big as the team.

You need to be better about that. We all don't share that mindset.