Why the extreme points of view on Dak?

Verdict

Reaction score
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.

John813

Reaction score
I don't venture into every Dak thread but I think the cap hit/new contract setup including term and guarantees is the sticking point for most sane posters.

Even AC wants Dak to take a slight "discount".

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They should create a Dak Contract Zone dedicated to those who are obsessed with his contract and cap hit. Even if he’s extended the complaints about his contract will never end. Fans are still complaining about his last extension even though he’s well down the list of highest paid QBs. This fan base won’t be happy until we have a young QB on their rookie deal or a cheap veteran castoff as our starter. Some will care less if they can play as long as they’re not taking up a big percentage of our cap.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
Dak can play for free or Dak can play for 500 mil a game and he still is not going to win a meaningful game for the team, much less a SB. Dak's time is slowly ticking away as it should, it's time to trade in the old car for a new one.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I would say most INT posters understand that if you dont change the FO way of working it really doesnt matter who is on the sidelines...They have had cap space and didnt round out the roster in years before...why does everyone assume they would do it now? I'm for a rebuild....I am also very aware of the people who will be doing the rebuild and its not gonna work because they wont change the way they run this Franchise.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
I suspect there is a significant number of tweeners on this topic.

Basic tweener outlook:

1. Dallas will field a team in 2024 and in 2025
2. There will be somebody at the QB position in both of those seasons
3. I will root for the Cowboys and the current QB in both of those seasons.
4. I will continue to watch Eagles games and root against them all season long in both of those seasons. Same for San Fran. Same for GB.
5. If NYG and Wash ever get any better, I may watch those games as well, but probably not gonna happen.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Other than being the QB of the Cowboys (always a hot seat) Dak is polarizing ironically cuz he’s middle of the road.

Can he win games - yes, has he shown he can lead on a deep playoff run - no. Is he top 10 - yes, is he top 5 - probably not, and that’s not changing. Some say put more players around him, but when it’s convenient, the counter is that the team put the 2nd to the most representatives in the ProBowl, so an argument can be made that the roster was good.

While debates continue from either side of the fence, we’re now 8 years into a potentially very expensive extension with nothing to show but regular season wins. And some are o.k.with that.

When there’s so much ammo to use from either side you’re always going to have spirited opinions.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Basic tweener outlook:

4. I will continue to watch Eagles games and root against them all season long in both of those seasons. Same for San Fran. Same for GB.
5. If NYG and Wash ever get any better, I may watch those games as well, but probably not gonna happen.
I would add this to #1 that the Jones built so my expectations are low...

and thats me pretty much on all 5

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ITs simple....daks performance is extreme...pendulum.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dak can play for free or Dak can play for 500 mil a game and he still is not going to win a meaningful game for the team, much less a SB. Dak's time is slowly ticking away as it should, it's time to trade in the old car for a new one.
Ive stated this before. Tyreek Lamb and Adams could be the Wr's with the 85 Bears D and still lose in round 1. Hes not that guy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the neverending extreme viewpoints were either Prescott being the worst quarterback to ever start in the NFL or Prescott is already a Pro Football Hall of Fame worthy as a quarterback. Approximately how many members have been taking extreme viewpoints on Prescott's salary cap implications..? :huh:

youngjerryjones

Reaction score

Basic tweener outlook:

simple for a fan like me...i will watch pre-season and wait patiently for Trey to light it up

JBS

Reaction score
There is literally nothing right about anything you wrote

The people that want Dak gone, want him gone at basically all costs

It’s also pure ignorance to think that Dak is going to give this team some sort of team friendly deal

Dak is getting a minimum of 50M a year and that’s conservative.

This idea that you can’t win with a qb on a big contract is also dumb and flawed. If you have the right qb , you win no matter what he costs. If you have the wrong qb, you don’t win, no matter what he costs.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the oversimplification is what gets to me. No matter what Dallas does, there will be consequences. If they give Dak $60 million there will be CAP consequences that will effect the rest of the team. It probably means they will never be any better than a little above average.

If they don't sign Dak, they have no QB. There will be consequences for that too. The "just go draft a QB in the first round" crowd amuse me with their belief that whoever Dallas drafts will automatically be as good as or better than Dak. Sure, I get it, a rookie making a few million gives the Cowboys a lot of CAP room to sign other players like CeeDee and Micah. But QB is a lot more important that those guys. Maybe they get lucky and get a Brock Purdy who just plays the system and let's the rest of the team win games for him. Maybe not.

The Big problem with the second option is we all know no matter how much CAP room Jerry has, Stephen will not let him sign top free agents to make the team good enough for the cheap QB they will put on the field. This is the frustration I think we all feel. Either we draft better than any team in history has year after year, or we will be also-rans.

I don't get the idea that we are somehow going to be more satisfied losing behind a young cheap QB than we are with Dak. Losing is losing.

Dak is a good enough QB. The problem is the owner will never go all in to field a Super Bowl team. This year he is doing bare minimum. So tell me, which QB do you foresee carrying a team built only on draft picks to the Super Bowl?

At the same time, I would never give Dak $60 million. If that is what he wants, it would force me to go in another direction. He is a good QB, but not $60 million good.