Why the extreme points of view on Dak?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
I agree. Opinions on Dak should not be so binary. He is a fine QB against average and weak defenses. He can be a world beater at times. He is prone to mistakes. Can get rattled. Absolutely sucks in big games. He is ok. Not terrible. Not great. I also don’t understand the hate. He seems like a good guy. Not a championship QB but that’s not his fault. He doesn’t have the emotional toughness to win it all.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I agree. Opinions on Dak should not be so binary. He is a fine QB against average and weak defenses. He can be a world beater at times. He is prone to mistakes. Can get rattled. Absolutely sucks in big games. He is ok. Not terrible. Not great. I also don’t understand the hate. He seems like a good guy. Not a championship QB but that’s not his fault. He doesn’t have the emotional toughness to win it all.
:lmao: you don't hate him but instead just come to a monolithic conclusion of he is destined to fail.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Unbelievable.

Is it a coincidence that our defense is fine against average or weak offenses?

Championship QB's play on Championship Teams.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Unbelievable.

Is it a coincidence that our defense is fine against average or weak offenses?

Championship QB's play on Championship Teams.
come on man the Horrible QB play on this team been killing them for 28 years..why can we never have a championship QB??????

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Because we can't do anything about Jerry.

So gripe about the most important player on the field.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So you must believe Championship
QB's don't play in Championship teams?
500 coaches could coach this team to a SB man..500....ooh wait that was Jimmy's team, Championship teams are Championchip teams..the Cowboys starting with the GM and ending with the GM are not a championship team...

Chasing6

Reaction score
500 coaches could coach this team to a SB man..500....ooh wait that was Jimmy's team, Championship teams are Championchip teams..the Cowboys starting with the GM and ending with the GM are not a championship team...
What people fail to understand is Jimmy Johnson was the architect(GM) when that dynasty was built in the 90's.

That is what caused the drift between Jerry and Jimmy and even though they have reconciled, we are still living through the nightmare.

stinkface

Reaction score
It's the current world we live in. You absolutely love someone or hate someone it seems. No one ever thinks things out before they pull the trigger on a post. Ready fire aim seems to be the norm. Kinda sad. I still like the idea of thinking for 10 seconds before posting.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What people fail to understand is Jimmy Johnson was the architect(GM) when that dynasty was built in the 90's.

That is what caused the drift between Jerry and Jimmy and even though they have reconciled, we are still living through the nightmare.
Jimmy sure wants people to believe he did it all by himself.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's the current world we live in. You absolutely love someone or hate someone it seems. No one ever thinks things out before they pull the trigger on a post. Ready fire aim seems to be the norm. Kinda sad. I still like the idea of thinking for 10 seconds before posting.
In sports you can't love or hate anyone. It is a business. Emotions should be a none factor.

Decisions should be made on what is best for the team overall period.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
When you get your final grade back and it's not what you want it might seem extreme: 50% of my grade is ONE exam? What if I have a bad day? What if I get sick? What if...

Dak has a grade and overall assessment attached to him now. It's not "extreme"...he was tested and he failed. Not once. Not twice. Not just three times. EVERY TIME HE WETS THE BED. The only time he did not do that was against GB the first go-round...and even then...we have to be honest now and say he was playing conservatively, did throw an INT on a freaking screen pass and even though he was clutch in the end...it was too little too late. As usual.

Not extreme...FAIR.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cap crap.
Why keep a guy who has proven no matter how much talent you surround him with he's not a accurate passer under pressure?
Why?
It's not up for interpretation, it's fact.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The cap keeps going up.

I dont see how 20% of the cap is unfair for a producing QB.

If you break down a team as:

15% - Special Teams

42.5% - Defense

42.5% - Offense

And a QB's arm and decision making are roughly 50% of the offense(21.25%) assuming coaches do the 50/50 run/pass to keep defenses honest. A lot of teams are passing even more due to the league incentivizing passing.

I just dont get how 20-22% of an increasing cap for decent passing QB's is unfair.

Call me stupid.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
When you get your final grade back and it's not what you want it might seem extreme: 50% of my grade is ONE exam? What if I have a bad day? What if I get sick? What if...

Dak has a grade and overall assessment attached to him now. It's not "extreme"...he was tested and he failed. Not once. Not twice. Not just three times. EVERY TIME HE WETS THE BED. The only time he did not do that was against GB the first go-round...and even then...we have to be honest now and say he was playing conservatively, did throw an INT on a freaking screen pass and even though he was clutch in the end...it was too little too late. As usual.

Not extreme...FAIR.
If you are insisting on comparing it to school then the grades would represent the regular season and the playoffs the SAT/ACT. It would be like getting A's and then scoring in the the third quartile on the SAT. Harvard is not letting you in.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The cap keeps going up.

I dont see how 20% of the cap is unfair for a producing QB.

If you break down a team as:

15% - Special Teams

42.5% - Defense

42.5% - Offense

And a QB's arm and decision making are roughly 50% of the offense assuming coaches do the 50/50 run/pass to keep defenses honest. A lot of teams are passing even more due to the league incentivizing passing.

I just dont get how 20-22% of an increasing cap for decent passing QB's unfair.

Call me stupid.
I won't call you stupid but you are essentially saying the QB is worth almost as much as the rest of the offense combined.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I won't call you stupid but you are essentially saying the QB is worth almost as much as the rest of the offense combined.
Im saying its the most important position in sports and his decision making and arm make the offense go.

I get that there are 10 other guys on the field helping the QB with blocking and catching the ball.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Im saying its the most important position in sports and his decision making and arm make the offense go.

I get that there are 10 other guys on the field helping the QB with blocking and catching the ball.
If 25% of the cap is to the QB and the offense gets 48% it is what it is. 48 - 25 = 23% of the cap for the rest of the offense.

You do not see how that is inefficient?