Why the extreme points of view on Dak?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think the oversimplification is what gets to me. No matter what Dallas does, there will be consequences. If they give Dak $60 million there will be CAP consequences that will effect the rest of the team. It probably means they will never be any better than a little above average.

If they don't sign Dak, they have no QB. There will be consequences for that too. The "just go draft a QB in the first round" crowd amuse me with their belief that whoever Dallas drafts will automatically be as good as or better than Dak. Sure, I get it, a rookie making a few million gives the Cowboys a lot of CAP room to sign other players like CeeDee and Micah. But QB is a lot more important that those guys. Maybe they get lucky and get a Brock Purdy who just plays the system and let's the rest of the team win games for him. Maybe not.

The Big problem with the second option is we all know no matter how much CAP room Jerry has, Stephen will not let him sign top free agents to make the team good enough for the cheap QB they will put on the field. This is the frustration I think we all feel. Either we draft better than any team in history has year after year, or we will be also-rans.

I don't get the idea that we are somehow going to be more satisfied losing behind a young cheap QB than we are with Dak. Losing is losing.

Dak is a good enough QB. The problem is the owner will never go all in to field a Super Bowl team. This year he is doing bare minimum. So tell me, which QB do you foresee carrying a team built only on draft picks to the Super Bowl?

At the same time, I would never give Dak $60 million. If that is what he wants, it would force me to go in another direction. He is a good QB, but not $60 million good.
100%

Chasing6

Reaction score
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
The idea that anyone knows what Dak's demands are is ridiculous.

The idea that we will get to a SB with no QB is ridiculous.

The idea that GM Jethro has it in him for a quick tear down and rebuild is ridiculous.

That is why GM Jethro is waiting, because no matter what he does at this point he is screwed. That is what happens to GM's that have no idea what they are doing and should have been fired a long time again

GM Jethro has done absolutely nothing to improve this team so far.

His plan in the following.

1. Draft - we have a past middle 1,2 and 3 pick. No 4th. A conditional 5th which is basically a 6th round pick. A conditional 6th which is basically a 7th and 2 more 7ths. To summarize a 1,2,3,6,7,7,7. Good luck with that.

2. He will add FA after the draft that nobody wanted.

3. He will then market we got the best UDFA in the NFL and some of our fans will get excited about that.

4. He will then try to trade some future picks, to teams that will be making veteran cuts after the draft.

Does that sound like how you build a SB team?

I know, I get it, it is Dak's fault.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
it makes me mad that jerry hates dak , since he made old Jer cry. dak can't help it he chokes.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
QB of America's team is the most coveted position in Sports!.
P.S. It also brings heat galore and if you're a Deer in the Headlights type of guy I highly recommend you don't take the job!

Chasing6

Reaction score
QB of America's team is the most coveted position in Sports!.
P.S. It also brings heat galore and if you're a Deer in the Headlights type of guy I highly recommend you don't take the job!
Not an easy thing to do, especially a QB from a small college.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

We are not allowed to talk about this kind of stuff around here.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think the oversimplification is what gets to me. No matter what Dallas does, there will be consequences. If they give Dak $60 million there will be CAP consequences that will effect the rest of the team. It probably means they will never be any better than a little above average.

If they don't sign Dak, they have no QB. There will be consequences for that too. The "just go draft a QB in the first round" crowd amuse me with their belief that whoever Dallas drafts will automatically be as good as or better than Dak. Sure, I get it, a rookie making a few million gives the Cowboys a lot of CAP room to sign other players like CeeDee and Micah. But QB is a lot more important that those guys. Maybe they get lucky and get a Brock Purdy who just plays the system and let's the rest of the team win games for him. Maybe not.

The Big problem with the second option is we all know no matter how much CAP room Jerry has, Stephen will not let him sign top free agents to make the team good enough for the cheap QB they will put on the field. This is the frustration I think we all feel. Either we draft better than any team in history has year after year, or we will be also-rans.

I don't get the idea that we are somehow going to be more satisfied losing behind a young cheap QB than we are with Dak. Losing is losing.

Dak is a good enough QB. The problem is the owner will never go all in to field a Super Bowl team. This year he is doing bare minimum. So tell me, which QB do you foresee carrying a team built only on draft picks to the Super Bowl?

At the same time, I would never give Dak $60 million. If that is what he wants, it would force me to go in another direction. He is a good QB, but not $60 million good.
Very well said my good man.
Jerry has really painted himself into a corner.
No options are really good, all have significant downsides.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
There is literally nothing right about anything you wrote

The people that want Dak gone, want him gone at basically all costs

It’s also pure ignorance to think that Dak is going to give this team some sort of team friendly deal

Dak is getting a minimum of 50M a year and that’s conservative.

This idea that you can’t win with a qb on a big contract is also dumb and flawed. If you have the right qb , you win no matter what he costs. If you have the wrong qb, you don’t win, no matter what he costs.
That's an oversimplification. A lot of us are stating you can't win a SB (or even get to one) with Dak whether it's a team friendly or bank busting contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score

So if they give Dak $50M we win the SB?

Seriously doubt that.

We have some very talented players. We do not have a functional complementary football team.

Is it Parson's fault he gets doubled and triple teamed? Did GM Jethro do anything to fix that this offseason?

What good is a pass rush and a dominate secodary, if you can not stop the run?

Come on people.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak can play for free or Dak can play for 500 mil a game and he still is not going to win a meaningful game for the team, much less a SB. Dak's time is slowly ticking away as it should, it's time to trade in the old car for a new one.
This is goofy and grossly oversimplified. Dak may not be able to carry a team on is own like a top quarterback but you do not need a top QB. There is some point at which his salary is commensurate to his production and anything cheaper than that is a competitive advantage.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This is goofy and grossly oversimplified. Dak may not be able to carry a team on is own like a top quarterback but you do not need a top QB. There is some point at which his salary is commensurate to his production and anything cheaper than that is a competitive advantage.
Got it. So, pay Dak his salary, 55-60 mil, because the Cowboys don't need a top QB. Yeah, that is some fuzzy logic, even for you!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agee 100%. Parting ways from a top
10 QB with no viable replacement is a rebuild.

That is the conundrum Jerry has put himself in at almost 82 years old.

I am completely fine with a tear down and rebuild, however I am not 82 years old.

shabazz

Reaction score
Tribalism. You either think this, or think that. Believe this, or that. Black and white. Yes or no.

Sometimes us humans get too wrapped up in our own ideas and biases to maintain nuanced viewpoints.
This tribal elder doesn't like a 2-5 playoff record and the failure to perform well against top defenses..........

GMO415

Reaction score
Let's keep flogging the dead Dak horse. It must be dust by now.

VACowboy

Reaction score

This is exactly how I feel about the matter.

Chasing6

Reaction score
1. We do not have a current SB team and most likely will not even if Dak is extended.

2. Jerry does not want to rebuild. He thinks we have a lot of good pieces.

3. Without rebuilding we will be stuck in never never land.

4. If Jerry decides to rebuild he will screw up anyway.

At what point does Jerry recognize it is time to sell and yacht off into the horizon?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
1. We do not have a current SB team and most likely will not even if Dak is extended.

2. Jerry does not want to rebuild. He thinks we have a lot of good pieces.

3. Without rebuilding we will be stuck in never never land.

4. If Jerry decides to rebuild he will screw up anyway.

At what point does Jerry recognize it is time to sell and yacht off into the horizon?
or just Hire a GM and sit back and rack in Cash...his ego is the only threat his money will ever know..

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Got it. So, pay Dak his salary, 55-60 mil, because the Cowboys don't need a top QB. Yeah, that is some fuzzy logic, even for you!
You need to work on reading and critical thinking skills. I said at some point not some gratuitously small ostensibly nonexistent reduction. Try again.