Why the extreme points of view on Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Supply was outweighed by demand, but I agree with you that there needs to be a ceiling on QB cap.
At what point does the entire ship start to sink with cap increase vs franchise QB increase hit that point is the question.
Will we see 100 million per contracts in the near future?
As long as the Cap continues increasing which it’s expected to at about 10% a year which is at this time about 25 million a year , we can expect QB’s contract to increase as well.

I’d expect in the upcoming years we’ll see a Billion $$ QB’s which will be close to 100 million a year. We are over halfway there now. And it’s growing at about 10 million a year.

At that rate we’re looking at about 2030 assuming the TV revenue and ticket sales continue increasing which is basis of players share.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure, but the problem w/ that is: the term "franchise QB" is a grey area term that really doesn't mean anything. Aside from Mahomes, the QBs who are being paid huge are not making super bowls. Purdy, Burrow, Hurts, Goff, think about it. Most of the QBs getting there are on their rook contracts.

Problem is, people are assigning "market price" to assets that are clearly different. It's like paying the same price for Salmon as for a mudcat or hardhead just because they're both fish.
Of course but the point is winning SB’s isn’t the primary goal anymore.

Sure , it’s the ultimate goal but as Jethro has proven remaining relevant draws fans in and easier to market if have a consistent playoff contender.

There’s only a handful of Elite or HOF caliber QB’s at any given time. So not enough to go around and why teams are content in finding the next best thing in Franchise QB. And more than willing to pay for it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure, but the problem w/ that is: the term "franchise QB" is a grey area term that really doesn't mean anything. Aside from Mahomes, the QBs who are being paid huge are not making super bowls. Purdy, Burrow, Hurts, Goff, think about it. Most of the QBs getting there are on their rook contracts.

Problem is, people are assigning "market price" to assets that are clearly different. It's like paying the same price for Salmon as for a mudcat or hardhead just because they're both fish.
I just wanted to add that I agree it is a problem. A huge problem when trying to build a SB team. I get it .

I’m just not sure based on the fact teams are willing to overpay Market Price illustrates how difficult it is to find a QB good enough to build around.

And when they find something close to it they basically have to make a choice. Do we go all in on this guy and try to build around him or start over looking for another one which any lull in finding one cost the team revenue and fan interest, etc.

I’d argue is why these “ franchise QB’s” have become such an expensive commodity in Cap era.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Because there are those who feel he is the best QB in Cowboys history....play on the field in the biggest games say otherwise. But hey, everyone has an opinion and you have a right to be wrong. Dak has had some above average teams that could have been led over the hump with superior QB play.. but he in medical terms,...crapped the bed. His contact has now over ran his performance and you just cannot get his arse out of here fast enough. The diabolical duo is finally appearing to make a stand, but will they stay with it or wimp out like the other time. Time will tell.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Well, the usual bad boys show up to be sullen and pouty.
Listen, chaps, you are under no obligation to us or the TriLateral Commission to hang around.
And, I trust, you will not clutter up the place with your tissues and issues.
I am more anti Dak than most... 'my tissues' and 'issues' is another thread of people justifying how lucky we are to have him and should give him anything he wants or our franchise is over.

And I like hanging around here .... so I won't be going anywhere big guy.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Other than being the QB of the Cowboys (always a hot seat) Dak is polarizing ironically cuz he’s middle of the road.

Can he win games - yes, has he shown he can lead on a deep playoff run - no. Is he top 10 - yes, is he top 5 - probably not, and that’s not changing. Some say put more players around him, but when it’s convenient, the counter is that the team put the 2nd to the most representatives in the ProBowl, so an argument can be made that the roster was good.

While debates continue from either side of the fence, we’re now 8 years into a potentially very expensive extension with nothing to show but regular season wins. And some are o.k.with that.

When there’s so much ammo to use from either side you’re always going to have spirited opinions.
He is not polarizing by being a middle of road QB. Come on. Not in the real world. Let's be honest. There is a segment that will never accept Dak. He is not the type of QB they prefer based on personal biases. They will never admit it. There are also those who support Dak based on past practices of not even allowing someone like Dak to field that position. And they give Dak more slack than others would. And there are some who do not feel Dak is going to get us to the Superbowl based on his performance. However, I think that is used as an excuse sometimes to hid biases. I will root for Tony Romo or Dak or whoever wears the Cowboy uniform. I hope majority of the fans feel that way. I am more concerned with how Jerry runs the team more then anything else.
r biases.

Last edited:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
There were extreme opinions on Romo too, the OP has simply forgotten.

Hec, not all Cowboys fans truly respect Aikman either. Many argue he was a "system" QB, and was simply blessed with an outstanding team around him, on both sides of the ball. Many don't believe Aikman would have lifted Romo-led teams, or even today's Dak-led teams.

We're fans, so our opinions on Cowboys QBs are as diverse and contradictory as musical tastes.