Why the extreme points of view on Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So what's your point, it appears you're saying it's time to move on, as you say what about paying him $50m + (20% CAP) makes you think he'll be able to achieve when he couldn't achieve anything on his Rookie deal.
The bigger point is if we couldn’t get it done on his Rookie contract like Purdy and Hurts did reaching a SB on their Rookie contracts which have been used as comparisons then why would we expect after he’s paid.

QB’s like Purdy and Hurts you don’t mind over paying cause you know you can have some success with them.

But we can’t use these QB’s on their Rookie contracts as a comparison to those on their second contracts. Compare what they did on their Rookie deals.

The fact we didn’t have anymore success on Prescotts rookie deal nor the two years in Franchise Tag should have told us all we needed to know.

But our ownerships agendas aren’t always aligned with ours as remaining relevant is the utmost priority of Jethro . It’s an easier product he can hype and promote hope which keeps the revenue train rolling and more pressure off of him to change his ways.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The bigger point is if we couldn’t get it done on his Rookie contract like Purdy and Hurts did reaching a SB on their Rookie contracts which have been used as comparisons then why would we expect after he’s paid.

QB’s like Purdy and Hurts you don’t mind over paying cause you know you can have some success with them.

But we can’t use these QB’s on their Rookie contracts as a comparison to those on their second contracts. Compare what they did on their Rookie deals.

The fact we didn’t have anymore success on Prescotts rookie deal nor the two years in Franchise Tag should have told us all we needed to know.

But our ownerships agendas aren’t always aligned with ours as remaining relevant is the utmost priority of Jethro . It’s an easier product he can hype and promote hope which keeps the revenue train rolling and more pressure off of him to change his ways.
Totally agree, however, the thread is about extremes, your post (to some) would be considered extreme....I'd see that as reasonable.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think some forget or lose sight what an agents job is. To optimize their players contract. Not make friendly team deals . That’s up to players to concede not their agent .
Of course. I would be ruthless if I were an agent. I’m a trial lawyer. But you can’t miss the forest due to all the trees.

Being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys is basically a license to print money. When a QB (like Brady) realizes that maximizing salary is not necessarily maximizing income they might make much more money in the long run for the client and themselves.

Verdict

Reaction score

The fallacy turned out to be that Dak didn’t improve as much over time with the mental part of the game like everyone expected him to improve. A few years into his rookie deal that expectation was probably reasonable. Currently, that same view would be more of a pipe dream.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course. I would be ruthless if I were an agent. I’m a trial lawyer. But you can’t miss the forest due to all the trees.

Being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys is basically a license to print money. When a QB (like Brady) realizes that maximizing salary is not necessarily maximizing income they might make much more money in the long run for the client and themselves.
Yea but Brady isn’t the rule and more the exception. When you play for 20 years you can afford to take a little less in order to make history.

In the end though Bill wasn’t going to pay him. Brady knew his time left in career was limited and why he left. And probably had as much to do with him taking less for years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fallacy turned out to be that Dak didn’t improve as much over time with the mental part of the game like everyone expected him to improve. A few years into his rookie deal that expectation was probably reasonable. Currently, that same view would be more of a pipe dream.
I agree. The weaknesses and concerns we begin seeing near the end of Rookie season stayed true his following seasons against better defenses, teams and on the bigger stages in playoffs.

Flamma

Reaction score

You're talking totally different operating procedures. Then blaming the QB. Purdy and Hurts got to super bowls because their GMs took advantage of the rookie contracts. Dak could be 1 cent against the cap and Dallas would not change their SOP.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is the only Qb I've heard needing the scheme more simplified for him.
True as Dak is dumb....................
dam-dak.gif

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand the various schools of thought on Dak (pro and con) but what I can’t quite wrap my mind around is that people ignore the cap implications of a Dak extension.

I would say that MOST intelligent people realize that most people would want Dak to stick around for a low enough cap hit and most would want Dak to go away at a high enough cap number. The rubber meeting the road with Dak is mostly his cap impact going forward.

The worst situation with Dak isn’t keeping Dak or trading Dak away, or letting Dak walk away in free agency. The worst situation is wrecking the cap with a Dak signing so badly that the team has no chance of competing for a SB with Dak’s cap number.

You can argue at what point the cap number gets too prohibitive to keep Dak but based on the evidence we have in front of us (no Dak extension) that Dak’s demands exceed what the organization thinks that number is.
Blah blah blah. I just want to move on without Dak Prescott. We've wasted enough years.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak is the only Qb I've heard needing the scheme more simplified for him.
From people that have no idea about football. It was Dak's first year in a WCO system. It already was pared down.

Another school of thought is that people in that circumstance need more experience and practice with things that they have just started to implement.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
From people that have no idea about football. It was Dak's first year in a WCO system. It already was pared down.

Another school of thought is that people in that circumstance need more experience and practice with things that they have just started to implement.
So why did we revert to a WCO?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Go ahead sign Dak to 60 mil a season. I'll be able to enjoy the playoffs even more now that I'm on the other side. Dak is trash and so are his followers

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The league needs to stand firm and not pay second tier QBs top tier prices. That is the reality now for the past 8 years or so. At that point it is not a point about giving a discount but the buyers of the market pulling their head out of their backsides and bringing sanity to the market.
Supply was outweighed by demand, but I agree with you that there needs to be a ceiling on QB cap.
At what point does the entire ship start to sink with cap increase vs franchise QB increase hit that point is the question.
Will we see 100 million per contracts in the near future?

kskboys

Reaction score
Supply was outweighed by demand, but I agree with you that there needs to be a ceiling on QB cap.
At what point does the entire ship start to sink with cap increase vs franchise QB increase hit that point is the question.
Only way out at present is to do a Mahomes-like contract, w/ enough years in it to navigate the cap. Problem is, that model is only good if you have a QB who will be good for 10 years. Which knocks out running QB's, as their shelf life is generally 1-5 years. I actually can't think of one who was effective longer. Lamaar? There ya go, so if you want a running QB to last longer, better get one w/ 4.3 speed!!!! They're all over the place, just growing on trees!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The owners can always place a Cap or forced discipline. But they won’t because a Franchise QB is the benchmark of their team and brand.

Franchise QB’s (who aren’t necessarily Elite) have more value to a team, their owner , the brand and the fans than just the results on the field.

A Franchise QB provides stability for a playoff contender . There’s basically two types of teams. One with a Franchise QB and ones looking for one.

It’s why owners and FO will continue offering multiple picks and or players to move up in a draft or over pay at Market Price.

We must always remember the NFL is a business first. And in this era has become entertainment sports not just a football game.

A teams Franchise QB in most cases is like their leading actor. He draws the fans in, helps promote sponsors and selling merchandise becoming one of if not the face of the franchise.

kskboys

Reaction score
The owners can always place a Cap or forced discipline. But they won’t because a Franchise QB is the benchmark of their team and brand.

Franchise QB’s (who aren’t necessarily Elite) have more value to a team, their owner , the brand and the fans than just the results on the field.

A Franchise QB provides stability for a playoff contender . There’s basically two types of teams. One with a Franchise QB and ones looking for one.

It’s why owners and FO will continue offering multiple picks and or players to move up in a draft or over pay at Market Price.

We must always remember the NFL is a business first. And in this era has become entertainment sports not just a football game.

A teams Franchise QB in most cases is like their leading actor. He draws the fans in, helps promote sponsors and selling merchandise becoming one of if not the face of the franchise.
Sure, but the problem w/ that is: the term "franchise QB" is a grey area term that really doesn't mean anything. Aside from Mahomes, the QBs who are being paid huge are not making super bowls. Purdy, Burrow, Hurts, Goff, think about it. Most of the QBs getting there are on their rook contracts.

Problem is, people are assigning "market price" to assets that are clearly different. It's like paying the same price for Salmon as for a mudcat or hardhead just because they're both fish.