Kwyn
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 19,925
- Reaction score
- 26,842
This is long so apologies up front. I’m a read/write learner so when I am trying to understand something new or complicated, it helps me to write it down. I figured if I’m doing that, I might as well post in case someone else had been curious about the same topic.
Why the Steelers and Joey Porter Jr. couldn’t come to terms
To answer this question for myself, I spent a bunch of time on several Steelers websites, fan forums, Overthecap, and Spotrac, and even listened to an insider podcast.
First off, there was never any indication (or even leaks from the team) that JPJ was demanding top of market. The $28m AAV the Steelers offered was not the issue.
It was about guaranteed money and the franchise tag.
How Guarantees are Structured
"Total Guaranteed" is a phrase I had heard often, but it turns out I didn’t really have a handle on it.
I’ll use Gonzalez in the chart below as an example of how guarantees work for big stars.
Gonzalez signed a deal with over $100M in total potential guarantees. His absolute, 100% “fully guaranteed cash at signing” is actually much lower ($54M). The rest of that $102m ends up being guaranteed through "rolling roster triggers" each March for years 2+. If he’s on the roster, he gets the full year.
“Rolling roster trigger” guarantees are highly coveted and separates elite players from the rest.
Why the Steelers and Joey Porter Jr. couldn’t come to terms
To answer this question for myself, I spent a bunch of time on several Steelers websites, fan forums, Overthecap, and Spotrac, and even listened to an insider podcast.
First off, there was never any indication (or even leaks from the team) that JPJ was demanding top of market. The $28m AAV the Steelers offered was not the issue.
It was about guaranteed money and the franchise tag.
How Guarantees are Structured
"Total Guaranteed" is a phrase I had heard often, but it turns out I didn’t really have a handle on it.
I’ll use Gonzalez in the chart below as an example of how guarantees work for big stars.
Gonzalez signed a deal with over $100M in total potential guarantees. His absolute, 100% “fully guaranteed cash at signing” is actually much lower ($54M). The rest of that $102m ends up being guaranteed through "rolling roster triggers" each March for years 2+. If he’s on the roster, he gets the full year.
“Rolling roster trigger” guarantees are highly coveted and separates elite players from the rest.
| Player | Day1 (M) | Total Guar(M) | Yr 2+ Guar |
| C. Gonzalez | 55 | 102 | Full Rolling |
| D. Witherspoon | 53 | 101 | Full Rolling |
| S. Gardner | 48 | 85 | Full Rolling |
| D. Ward | 40 | 50 | Full Rolling |
| T. McDuffie | 38 | 50 | Full Rolling |
| J. Porter Jr. (Offer) | 33 | Unknown | Injury-Only (No Rolling) |
