FEATURED Why this season is going to be great!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
My "relationship" with the Cowboys is like they are one of my children. I love and support them no matter what. However, as with my own children, I get disappointed when they do bad things as I have taught them to do better. And I always have hope that they will overcome obstacles, just as I have hope for my kids. I hope this doesn't make me sound insane! LOL
Well said! :bow:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Good post Reid.

Good description of how you enjoy a season. Support you and any fan on how they choose to be a fan. As long as we allow all fans to express how they feel and think about our favorite team, this forum gets better and better.

The thing is, fans enjoy the Cowboys in different ways. You said, “My love for the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys is not dictated by wins and losses.” My joy as a fan isn’t dictated by that either. But my desire to see us do better is also a strong part of my fandom. I enjoy every season, win or lose. But that doesn’t mean I’m not frustrated by some of the same things happening again and and again without much if any change at the top.

I can only speak for me, but in my book loving my favorite team means I want the best for it and I’m not averse to expressing my frustration when the team does not perform as well as it could or if I feel the leadership is not doing all they can to win. That to me is not “hate” or miserable as I’ve been accused of being just for stating my opinion on what I think the team’s deepest problems are. Doesn’t mean I’m right or wrong. Just an opinion like yours.

For the record, I believe Jerry is a great business man who has every right to earn all he legally can. I suppot that. But IMO, he’s not a very good GM. My problem with JJ is neither personal or about money. It’s about results and his stubborn refusal to do whatever it takes to win a championship.

I 100% appreciate your well thought out post and your expression of your opinions here. My hope is we can all accept and appreciate the many shades of fandom and each other - even when we disagree.
Thank you, Bob. Reid deserves every ounce of appreciation he is receiving for his post.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
D gave up 222 rushing yards in Cardinals loss this year and 266 yards agains the Bills. That is hard to.
and Dak played like crap in both gaes.... throwing a HORRIBKE pick in the end zone against the cards. I was at the game.

The Bills game we got worked in every aspect..... our run defense was terrible, and Dak was nothing to write home about.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
D gave up 222 rushing yards in Cardinals loss this year and 266 yards agains the Bills. That is hard to.
Not only was Dak atrocious in the game against the Cards, the coaches thought we could run on 1st and 2nd and then pass a short pass for a first down and dominate. It was after that terrible game that the coaches actually decided to let the qb play the qb position.

The coaches were as pathetic as Dak was in that game.

But I thought you were gonna let me do my own research? lol

plasticman

Reaction score
I dont agree with everything we do. I would have definitely grabbed a RB, some way, some how. Maybe not even drafted our defensive player in Rd 2 and took one. BUt I can not deny the FACT, that the Cowboys have been one of the better drafting teams in the league for some time now. So I am trusting.

Fir me, most of the roster is good enough, it all comes down to one position. You think the Chiefs had a better roster than we did last year, minus QB? I dont.
This situation hasn't been going on for 8 years. It has been 28 years since the Cowboys played in a championship game. Dak was two and a half years old when this began.

For 28 years the position of GM has been a part time job for someone that never spent a day in his life as an NFL scout, a director of personnel, or football related strategist of any kind.

We should probably start there.

And it doesn't matter if the Cowboys draft well if they don't know how to build a team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not only was Dak atrocious in the game against the Cards, the coaches thought we could run on 1st and 2nd and then pass a short pass for a first down and dominate. It was after that terrible game that the coaches actually decided to let the qb play the qb position.

The coaches were as pathetic as Dak was in that game.

But I thought you were gonna let me do my own research? lol
Not sure I would call 25 for 40, 249 yards 1 TD and 1 int atrocious.

However giving up 7.5 yards per play on defense is definitely atrocious.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547437#away

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This situation hasn't been going on for 8 years. It has been 28 years since the Cowboys played in a championship game. Dak was two and a half years old when this began.

For 28 years the position of GM has been a part time job for someone that never spent a day in his life as an NFL scout, a director of personnel, or football related strategist of any kind.

We should probably start there.

And it doesn't matter if the Cowboys draft well if they don't know how to build a team.
So your answer is to give up? I choose differently.

plasticman

Reaction score
So your answer is to give up? I choose differently.
Is that what you interpreted from my post?

I sat through every game in 1988, Landry's last season. The Cowboys went 3-13. I sat through every game in 1989 when they went 1-15.

I sat through the Campo years, the 2010 disaster and every season the starting QB has an early end to the year.

I never gave up on a game until it was mathematically impossible to win. The same goes for entire seasons. I did 't give up on them until they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

The Cowboys can win despite Jerry Jones but the probability will increase when the Cowboys begin work on the Jerry Jones memorial statue that will, no doubt, be twice the size of Landry's.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I sat through every game in 1988, Landry's last season. The Cowboys went 3-13. I sat through every game in 1989 when they went 1-15.

I sat through the Campo years, the 2010 disaster and every season the starting QB has an early end to the year.

I never gave up on a game until it was mathematically impossible to win. The same goes for entire seasons. I did 't give up on them until they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

The Cowboys can win despite Jerry Jones but the probability will increase when the Cowboys begin work on the Jerry Jones memorial statue that will, no doubt, be twice the size of Landry's.
Yes that’s what I got from your post. And I sat through all those games all the way back to Staubach.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Depends where you live.
my niece lives in the bay area and has told me that it is cheaper for her to fly to dallas and watch a game than the price of 9rs tix. i never priced them but, she goes to dallas a couple times a year

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I played sports my entire life. Sports consumed me growing up. At age 8, I could name the Cowboys entire roster with their number. Football season turned into Basketball which turned into Baseball, and the cycle repeated. I watched sports on tv probably 4 days week or more. Over the years, time spent watching baseball and basketball has dwindled. Time spent on the NFL has increased.

In today's world, EVERY NFL game can be watched on TV and I do my very best to watch them all...lol. The day the schedule is released, my daughter and I start mapping out the games wed like to attend. Then we look at work schedules to see which is best suited to our schedules. We then look to cities we have not been in. Then we consider price. Id like to go to the Steelers game, but right now, I can do 2 games for the price of that game, so like the last time we played in Pittsburgh, we will probably skip that stadium, again. As of today, we are attending the opener against the Saints, the home game in Nov against the Eagles, and the road game against the Niners. At that point, depending on how the season is going, we will consider if we want to do any others. The last game against Washington is in my sights.

The internet has allowed all of us to live the NFL basically all year. Season ends and the combine is in the window, then free agency (short lived for us this year) then the draft, then rookie minicamp, OTA's Training camp, season, super bowl and the process starts again. We come to this forum and talk Cowboys 12 months of the year. That was only 10 for me this year as I needed two months away after the GB playoff loss.

My love for the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys is not dictated by wins and losses. It is not determined by whether or not I like what the owner does or doesnt do. Being a fan of this team reminds me of a game my daughter had as a soph playing on the Varsity and playing shortstop.... the most difficult position to play on the field. She mad e a critical error late in the game that directly led to a loss in a game that decided the league title. The next day, the local picture had a picture of her making the error on the front page of the sports section. While the paper was BLASTED for doing that, I told her if she couldnt handle the pressure of playing that position on one of the best teams in the area, stop playing.

Thats how I feel as a fan of the Cowboys. We get needled by EVERYONE when things go poorly. Our team is in the spotlight all year. Jerry Jones gets a flat tire and it will be discussed on the sports shows for 30 minutes the next day. Every signing or free agent that leaves is put under a magnifying glass. How many times have we been hearing about the fact CeeDee Lamb doesnt have a new contract? Id guess Ive heard about it in about a 20:1 ratio compared to Jefferson. Why no talk about the vikings not locking Jefferson up yet? We dont know because nobody cares.

You can not change the fact that the Cowboys are a CASH COW. You can not get angry at Jerry Jones for making money off the most lucrative team in pro sports. Im already hearing the moaning and groaning about the netflix show coming up.

We are fans of the Dallas Cowboys, and there is nothing better than getting ready for the NFL season to start. This year, im getting a video processor that will allow me to put 4 games on my 135"projector screen at once, exactly like you would see in a sports bar.

I kow this is a rambling mess. Im all over the place... because I am like a kid waiting for Christmas. I actually enjoy all that comes with the season. The ups, the downs, the unknowns, the drama, the heartbreaking losses, the exhilerating wins. It is all a part of what has become my year long infatuation with the NFL.

So as we prepare for the upcoming season, slow down and smell the flowers. Weare lucky to be fans of the Dallas Cowboys. The rams and Iggles have both won a SB in the last few seasons. But just think how boring life would be if you were a fan of either of those teams. No thank you.

Now, Im off to have a drink and stare at my Jerry Jones poster for a few hours.....lol
Why would it be "boring" to be fans of a team that has won a SB in the modern Era?

All OF THOSE teams fans are just as passionate as you are about their team. In fact, one stereotype of Cowboy fans is that they are NOT as hard-core as northern teams or teams from older cities.

The fact is, those fans/cities are just as passionate, AND have modern success to boot. Let's not lie to ourselves and say it's not that big of a deal that we haven't had ANY real success in the modern Era, because as Cowboy fans we intrinsically have something other fans don't even during a 3 decade long stretch of incompetence. We don't.....other than being the brunt of jokes more often

Good that ur able to still enjoy the seasons though, even though the team has failed. That seems like a very happy-go-lucky way to live life, not needing success. I think Jerruh might actually be the same way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea , it’s amazing we still have fans , who otherwise appear to be reasonable fans, that still believe our owner who also wears our GM hat at 82 years old is still what’s in the best interest for Cowboys Football.

Even as he’s delegated more to his son, Jethro insist on remaining the face of the franchise overlooking and making all final decisions . He has to be the man. Can’t entrust his son to officially take over. Typical narcissist behavior.

As long as we refuse to follow the rest of the league in a normally ran Front Office expect our historic futility in the playoffs to continue especially with an owner and GM who seem content with this level of success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why would it be "boring" to be fans of a team that has won a SB in the modern Era?

All OF THOSE teams fans are just as passionate as you are about their team. In fact, one stereotype of Cowboy fans is that they are NOT as hard-core as northern teams or teams from older cities.

The fact is, those fans/cities are just as passionate, AND have modern success to boot. Let's not lie to ourselves and say it's not that big of a deal that we haven't had ANY real success in the modern Era, because as Cowboy fans we intrinsically have something other fans don't even during a 3 decade long stretch of incompetence. We don't.....other than being the brunt of jokes more often

Good that ur able to still enjoy the seasons though, even though the team has failed. That seems like a very happy-go-lucky way to live life, not needing success. I think Jerruh might actually be the same way.
It’s very shortsighted for fans who follow our owners hype and eternal optimism feel in some way they are greater fans anymore than a hardened diehard critic who still roots on the team not missing game for 60 years.

I was a season ticket holder for most of 4 decades at Texas Stadium and traveled with the Dallas Cowboys Travel Club for its inaugural season in 1989 up until Jimmy's departure . That didn’t make me any better or greater a fan. Just more invested of my time and money.

In 1989 I attended 12 games , all losses as we went 1-15. But we had hope because of Jimmy running football operations while still being suspect of Jethro’s involvement. We took him by his word that he would run the business side while Jimmy took care of the football side .

But that all changed when the Cowboys begun having more success . Jimmy was getting more credit and becoming the face of the franchise . It wasn’t enough to get credit for hiring the right guy. He had to be a celebrity football guy too which begun the problems with Jimmy.

It went against their initial agreement and his attempted meddling became a bothersome and outright nuisance. What owner wouldn’t be content winning championships.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to carry a half full cup. There’s always hope until there’s not. Anything can happen in a 60 minute game. But not seeing and holding our owner directly responsible for the historic futility in the playoffs this era is a gross oversight.

There’s a reason 30 other NFL teams are not following the model set forth. It’s not successful to the level we are accustomed without naming someone outside this family to hold accountable. We really believe this is what’s best for Cowboys Football.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score

The Rams won a SB... then immediately sucked.... sounds like a great time.

I can promise you I want a SB as bad as anyone on this forum, but if we win another, I am not going to Disneyland, Im not getting a cut of the SB check, and on Monday Ill still go to work. It will be great for a week, of talking smack, and life goes on. It wont change my life or my outlook on life on ebit. Those people struggling in life, struggling financially, struggling in their jobs and relationships will still be struggling the next day.

That is why I can enjoy the season, be totally disappointed after the GB game and move on.

Maybe being prior military has a little to do with that outlook.... im not sure.

Creeper

Reaction score
I used to be a homer. I was sure the Cowboys were going to win the Super Bowl every year. Every draft pick was going to be a home run, and every game was going to be a Cowboys blowout. I had no shame what-so-ever!

But there was a time when the Cowboys went to the playoffs and won Super Bowls. They seemed to know what was needed and at least tried to improve year over year. When I see the Cowboys today trying to tell us Zeke is the answer at a weak RB position, or that Mazi Smith will improve enough to shut down the run on defense, or Jalen Tolbert will make a leap to stardom this year because there is no one else I feel like I just got conned by a slick used car salesman. Now I am more cynical than realistic.

I can't be as fanatical about this team anymore. They are still my team and I will watch them every Sunday if I can, but the hope has been replaced by something else. I am refusing to by the Joneses BS anymore.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not sure I would call 25 for 40, 249 yards 1 TD and 1 int atrocious.

However giving up 7.5 yards per play on defense is definitely atrocious.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547437#away
Watch the game, dont look at stats. Dak was Atrocious, but i dont even blame him. Dak was coimng off the season with the picks and big Mike was going to save him by not letting him play. Play calling was also atrocious.... but make no mistake, Dak was atrocious.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Watch the game, dont look at stats. Dak was Atrocious, but i dont even blame him. Dak was coimng off the season with the picks and big Mike was going to save him by not letting him play. Play calling was also atrocious.... but make no mistake, Dak was atrocious.
So if ignore the 7.5 yards per play on Defense?

visionary

Reaction score
couldn't have said it better myself... :thumbup: :clap: :yourock:

for me, literally that's how I think about football to me it's a year-to-year league, its week to week anyway, just a long off season long wait to watch a very short season with A 1 and done playoffs this isn't The Mavericks or the stars this isn't baseball where you get multiple opportunities you literally have 17 to 20 games to watch and then like 7-8 months of waiting on next season..enjoy it while you can..
Yes you could have said it better
This one is only 5 pages, im sure you can create a new thread with a more blind homeristic nonsensical OP over at least 10 pages

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The Rams won a SB... then immediately sucked.... sounds like a great time.

I can promise you I want a SB as bad as anyone on this forum, but if we win another, I am not going to Disneyland, Im not getting a cut of the SB check, and on Monday Ill still go to work. It will be great for a week, of talking smack, and life goes on. It wont change my life or my outlook on life on ebit. Those people struggling in life, struggling financially, struggling in their jobs and relationships will still be struggling the next day.

That is why I can enjoy the season, be totally disappointed after the GB game and move on.

Maybe being prior military has a little to do with that outlook.... im not sure.
Cool...I wasn't being sarcastic when I said that was a good way to view things. Wish I could