FEATURED Why this season is going to be great!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As down as the fan base was after the playoff debacle, you just knew once summer starts to approach the optimum would return for some. A good start to the regular season and the SB predictions will start up. :flagwave:

TheCritic

Reaction score
As down as the fan base was after the playoff debacle, you just knew once summer starts to approach the optimum would return for some. A good start to the regular season and the SB predictions will start up. :flagwave:
Yep! While I'm a fan of hiring Zimmer and bolstering the OL, I'm not optimistic about returning to the playoffs. That schedule is too brutal and the Cowboys would have to hit on 80-90% of their offseason decisions plus having last year's draft class turn thins around. I don't like those odds.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s very shortsighted for fans who follow our owners hype and eternal optimism feel in some way they are greater fans anymore than a hardened diehard critic who still roots on the team not missing game for 60 years.

I was a season ticket holder for most of 4 decades at Texas Stadium and traveled with the Dallas Cowboys Travel Club for its inaugural season in 1989 up until Jimmy's departure . That didn’t make me any better or greater a fan. Just more invested of my time and money.

In 1989 I attended 12 games , all losses as we went 1-15. But we had hope because of Jimmy running football operations while still being suspect of Jethro’s involvement. We took him by his word that he would run the business side while Jimmy took care of the football side .

But that all changed when the Cowboys begun having more success . Jimmy was getting more credit and becoming the face of the franchise . It wasn’t enough to get credit for hiring the right guy. He had to be a celebrity football guy too which begun the problems with Jimmy.

It went against their initial agreement and his attempted meddling became a bothersome and outright nuisance. What owner wouldn’t be content winning championships.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to carry a half full cup. There’s always hope until there’s not. Anything can happen in a 60 minute game. But not seeing and holding our owner directly responsible for the historic futility in the playoffs this era is a gross oversight.

There’s a reason 30 other NFL teams are not following the model set forth. It’s not successful to the level we are accustomed without naming someone outside this family to hold accountable. We really believe this is what’s best for Cowboys Football.
Other than the one horse Dak haters, I haven’t seen anyone here defend Jerry for the playoff futility.

shabazz

Reaction score
Other than the one horse Dak haters, I haven’t seen anyone here defend Jerry for the playoff futility.
....but a few "winners" here still defend the players that lost those playoff games.

Flamma

Reaction score
I played sports my entire life. Sports consumed me growing up. At age 8, I could name the Cowboys entire roster with their number. Football season turned into Basketball which turned into Baseball, and the cycle repeated. I watched sports on tv probably 4 days week or more. Over the years, time spent watching baseball and basketball has dwindled. Time spent on the NFL has increased.

In today's world, EVERY NFL game can be watched on TV and I do my very best to watch them all...lol. The day the schedule is released, my daughter and I start mapping out the games wed like to attend. Then we look at work schedules to see which is best suited to our schedules. We then look to cities we have not been in. Then we consider price. Id like to go to the Steelers game, but right now, I can do 2 games for the price of that game, so like the last time we played in Pittsburgh, we will probably skip that stadium, again. As of today, we are attending the opener against the Saints, the home game in Nov against the Eagles, and the road game against the Niners. At that point, depending on how the season is going, we will consider if we want to do any others. The last game against Washington is in my sights.

The internet has allowed all of us to live the NFL basically all year. Season ends and the combine is in the window, then free agency (short lived for us this year) then the draft, then rookie minicamp, OTA's Training camp, season, super bowl and the process starts again. We come to this forum and talk Cowboys 12 months of the year. That was only 10 for me this year as I needed two months away after the GB playoff loss.

My love for the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys is not dictated by wins and losses. It is not determined by whether or not I like what the owner does or doesnt do. Being a fan of this team reminds me of a game my daughter had as a soph playing on the Varsity and playing shortstop.... the most difficult position to play on the field. She mad e a critical error late in the game that directly led to a loss in a game that decided the league title. The next day, the local picture had a picture of her making the error on the front page of the sports section. While the paper was BLASTED for doing that, I told her if she couldnt handle the pressure of playing that position on one of the best teams in the area, stop playing.

Thats how I feel as a fan of the Cowboys. We get needled by EVERYONE when things go poorly. Our team is in the spotlight all year. Jerry Jones gets a flat tire and it will be discussed on the sports shows for 30 minutes the next day. Every signing or free agent that leaves is put under a magnifying glass. How many times have we been hearing about the fact CeeDee Lamb doesnt have a new contract? Id guess Ive heard about it in about a 20:1 ratio compared to Jefferson. Why no talk about the vikings not locking Jefferson up yet? We dont know because nobody cares.

You can not change the fact that the Cowboys are a CASH COW. You can not get angry at Jerry Jones for making money off the most lucrative team in pro sports. Im already hearing the moaning and groaning about the netflix show coming up.

We are fans of the Dallas Cowboys, and there is nothing better than getting ready for the NFL season to start. This year, im getting a video processor that will allow me to put 4 games on my 135"projector screen at once, exactly like you would see in a sports bar.

I kow this is a rambling mess. Im all over the place... because I am like a kid waiting for Christmas. I actually enjoy all that comes with the season. The ups, the downs, the unknowns, the drama, the heartbreaking losses, the exhilerating wins. It is all a part of what has become my year long infatuation with the NFL.

So as we prepare for the upcoming season, slow down and smell the flowers. Weare lucky to be fans of the Dallas Cowboys. The rams and Iggles have both won a SB in the last few seasons. But just think how boring life would be if you were a fan of either of those teams. No thank you.

Now, Im off to have a drink and stare at my Jerry Jones poster for a few hours.....lol
Be careful with that Washington game. It might be meaningless.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Nobody here is angry at Jerry for making money.....we are just frustrated at his refusal to admit his mistake of not hiring an experienced football man at the GM position.

Like you, we all love quality football but unfortunately our team is never in it when the best teams play it....late January
Sadly, you are 100% correct.
Until Jerry steps down, we are stuck in mediocrity....:(

Chasing6

Reaction score
defense and offense dont play in a vacuum. Three and out, three and out..... defense is connected to that, just like a 10 minute drive helps the defense.
Very very difficult to go 3 and out, when they are averaging 7.5 yards per play. It does not take a mathematician genius to figure that out.

shabazz

Reaction score
Sadly, you are 100% correct.
Until Jerry steps down, we are stuck in mediocrity....:(
Is there at least a 1% chance that Jerry is utilizing a consultant?

The reason I think he may, is that the release of starters AND the refusal to resign our franchise Qb is completely OPPOSITE his usual MO.

Add to that the lame duck HC and numerous 1 year contracts tell me that he's sharpening the blade of the ax that he will use after the 2024 season.....Jerry has seldom been that wise and emotionally detached

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Is there at least a 1% chance that Jerry is utilizing a consultant?

The reason I think he may, is that the release of starters AND the refusal to resign our franchise Qb is completely OPPOSITE his usual MO.

Add to that the lame duck HC and numerous 1 year contracts tell me that he's sharpening the blade of the ax that he will use after the 2024 season.....Jerry has seldom been that wise and emotionally detached
Jimmy Johnson and the others(not sure who they all are) are supposedly giving input.

shabazz

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson and the others(not sure who they all are) are supposedly giving input.
"From your lips to God's ears"

We should all agree that we need meaningful change toward the positive and that would be a great start

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I could care less how much money Jerry makes or what the franchise is worth. Him getting filthy rich should translate to the field but it hasn't.

What I care about is the fact over the last 5 years he has paid out the second fewest dollars in the league on player salaries. I care that he cares more about sales and marketing than doing what it takes to win. 30 years of failures and no moves this offseason coming off 3 twelve win seasons in a row and saying we are going all-in is a hard pill to swallow.

The front office appears to lack a vision and is always overeating to things as opposed to having a plan or identity.