CFZ Why Tyler Smith should play LT all year

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As this year’s first round pick, Tyler Smith was drafted as “the replacement for Tyron Smith”. And although it would have been better to give him time to develop and adjust to the NFL game as a LG, circumstances as they are now make that plan mute.

He has had very little actual prep at LT this pre-season, so we should be prepared for some major growing pains, especially at first as he adjusts to the NFL speed and talent. The difference between playing at Tulsa and playing in the NFL is quite an adjustment. But he does have a lot of raw talent. Emphasis on raw.

But if Tyler Smith is the long term answer, we might as well get started finding out. If he isn’t the answer, this organization will have to move LT back to the top of team needs in the draft. The LT position is second only to QB in importance and not an easy one to find plug and play talent.

One other thought- playing Tyler at LT is probably what should be done for long term purposes. But in the short term, be prepared for a lesser level of team performance. It will be tougher to win the East and make the playoffs. Not impossible but much tougher.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I feel like this is where we see the coaches influence. Do we have the staff to help the rookie learn. It’s a heck of a situation for the rookie but if he’s game I hope he succeeds. It’s just a lot to ask right away. Guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think you are right. I think he has the tools but he needs to work on his technique. It could be a struggle for him. I can see him getting called for a lot of penalties. He is still loose with his hands. Quick pass rushers care going to give him trouble. Having the ankle injury for the last game was a bummer. It would have been good to see him play out there at least in one game to get an idea of how ready he is to play LT.

Big_D

Reaction score
He was drafted as a little bit of a project. I think people are going way too hard with “the future is now”. Mickey already wrote this very sentiment. This Oline was having problems even with Tyron. The overall unit is a problem. This learning curve won’t help matters. Young player who is very green. You finally have a D ready to take off and on offense they’re going to throw a guy who isn’t close to ready to the wolves! Let’s hope Zach Martin will be enough. lol I know defenses will be coming hard at that blind side. From Biadiscz on down it’s a huge gamble.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I agree, and I think the next two weeks are fundamental to Tyler’s career.

If he moves to LT, it’s because he’s now your LT and you keep him there unless he faceplants. If a black hole of talent at LT isn’t enough to get him the job and ye stays at LG, then that’s that and he is a career LG. Let him do what Martin has done, not what you did with Collins. Collins was a guard and a good one. Continuity has so much impact on an offensive lineman. Not only Tyler, but Tyler’s relationship with Biadasz and whoever player X is at LT

JBS

Reaction score
At this point it’s probably going to be a surprise if he isn’t the LT all year..

I meant Tyron isn’t coming back. So Tyler would have to suck to the point where they bench him.

75boyz

Reaction score
In my opinion it's a balancing act of knowing what benefits your team most this year.

By moving him out, this will reveal IF he is the long term solution at LT but will also create a weakness at LG again.

To pick up a one year vet FA while keeping him at LG should be equally weighed against the replace from within philosophy as to what will yield the most benefit this year.

Something a vet GM who truly knows his roster would have no problem with but in the case of this team's GM and all the past bad roster decision making that makes me skeptical.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was drafted as a little bit of a project. I think people are going way too hard with “the future is now”. Mickey already wrote this very sentiment. This Oline was having problems even with Tyron. The overall unit is a problem. This learning curve won’t help matters. Young player who is very green. You finally have a D ready to take off and on offense they’re going to throw a guy who isn’t close to ready to the wolves! Let’s hope Zach Martin will be enough. lol I know defenses will be coming hard at that blind side. From Biadiscz on down it’s a huge gamble.
This is a good perspective too.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion it's a balancing act of knowing what benefits your team most this year.

By moving him out, this will reveal IF he is the long term solution at LT but will also create a weakness at LG again.

To pick up a one year vet FA while keeping him at LG should be equally weighed against the replace from within philosophy as to what will yield the most benefit this year.

Something a vet GM who truly knows his roster would have no problem with but in the case of this team's GM, I it's bad roster decision making that makes me skeptical.
The left side of our line has to be considered a target for Defensive Coordinators early this season. Tyler and Connor McGovern gonna have big targets on their backs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am mixed on this. Yes if he is the LT of the future, then let him play and learn. But to the expense of the season if they really struggle? That is the risk.

I really rather they bring in a vet for LT, and go from there. Yes Tyler placed LT at Tulsa, but he was drafted to be a OG first, is I prefer to leave him there for now.

quickccc

Reaction score
As this year’s first round pick, Tyler Smith was drafted as “the replacement for Tyron Smith”. And although it would have been better to give him time to develop and adjust to the NFL game as a LG, circumstances as they are now make that plan mute.

He has had very little actual prep at LT this pre-season, so we should be prepared for some major growing pains, especially at first as he adjusts to the NFL speed and talent. The difference between playing at Tulsa and playing in the NFL is quite an adjustment. But he does have a lot of raw talent. Emphasis on raw.

But if Tyler Smith is the long term answer, we might as well get started finding out. If he isn’t the answer, this organization will have to move LT back to the top of team needs in the draft. The LT position is second only to QB in importance and not an easy one to find plug and play talent.

One other thought- playing Tyler at LT is probably what should be done for long term purposes. But in the short term, be prepared for a lesser level of team performance. It will be tougher to win the East and make the playoffs. Not impossible but much tougher.

- i think Hall of Fame guys such as Jonathan Odgen started out at OG before moving out to OT ... and Tyler has already said he think hes' more of a natural at OT.
More so i think it was the plan for Tyler to " eventually " move out to LT , as a permanent replacement for the future HOF'er Tyron Smith.

- Which also means the eventual search for a long term LG would still be ongoing once Tyler moved out.

- I have no problem at all with Tyler moving to LT,.. like i've always said.. Best Man up next. .. if he is a better OT than a Josh Ball or Matt Wally, lets do that.

The big problems were:
1) Joe Philibin did not prepare him well to be such a sudden move.
2) Cowboys thought they had adequate time for the young bucks Wally and Ball to develop and emerge as sound backups
3) they wanted Tyler to learn exclusively at LG his rookie year , and nuthin more.
4) They never showed interest in getting an experienced vet swing guy while training the young guys - and it's came back to haunt us.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I think you are right. I think he has the tools but he needs to work on his technique. It could be a struggle for him. I can see him getting called for a lot of penalties. He is still loose with his hands. Quick pass rushers care going to give him trouble. Having the ankle injury for the last game was a bummer. It would have been good to see him play out there at least in one game to get an idea of how ready he is to play LT.
Question: How do we know he's gonna be ready with that ankle. Oh nevermind we'll just ask Dr. Jerry.:muttley:

quickccc

Reaction score
I am mixed on this. Yes if he is the LT of the future, then let him play and learn. But to the expense of the season if they really struggle? That is the risk.

I really rather they bring in a vet for LT, and go from there. Yes Tyler placed LT at Tulsa, but he was drafted to be a OG first, is I prefer to leave him there for now.

Tyler is a 1st round pick, he had to play somewhere on the starting line, ..and there was huge opening at LG (still will be when McGovern has to start)

Makes since to start him out at OG, then eventually ease him into training even more at OT ..until Tyron call it quits,.. or Cowboys calls it quits on Tyron .

quickccc

Reaction score
I worry about Tyler at LT when you have a weaker lineman, like McGovern next to him. I don't feel this is an ideal situation for him. I wish the kid the best of luck this season, wherever they see fit to putting him on the line.

frankly i don't care for either the LG ....... or the center ..or the OL line coach for that matter .... :(

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Playing Tyler S at LT is a huge risk. Many of you are making great points in this thread about his readinesses, his raw, undeveloped talent and other great points. This will be another fascinating test for this FO’s ability to make applesauce out rotten apples right now.

Put it more succinctly- this OL mess this team is in will make or break this season. If the FO and coaching staff can cobble together at least a serviceable OL, develop Tyler Smith and keep him from being overwhelmed and discouraged the team may have enough elsewhere to make the playoffs. Or it could be another “even year” non-playoff season. We will see.