CFZ Why Tyler Smith should play LT all year

TwentyOne

Reaction score
As this year’s first round pick, Tyler Smith was drafted as “the replacement for Tyron Smith”. And although it would have been better to give him time to develop and adjust to the NFL game as a LG, circumstances as they are now make that plan mute.

He has had very little actual prep at LT this pre-season, so we should be prepared for some major growing pains, especially at first as he adjusts to the NFL speed and talent. The difference between playing at Tulsa and playing in the NFL is quite an adjustment. But he does have a lot of raw talent. Emphasis on raw.

But if Tyler Smith is the long term answer, we might as well get started finding out. If he isn’t the answer, this organization will have to move LT back to the top of team needs in the draft. The LT position is second only to QB in importance and not an easy one to find plug and play talent.

One other thought- playing Tyler at LT is probably what should be done for long term purposes. But in the short term, be prepared for a lesser level of team performance. It will be tougher to win the East and make the playoffs. Not impossible but much tougher.

Maybe you are right.

For me this comes way to early for Smith. The guy looks so raw. All he does is using his phenomenal power. That made him look good against lesser oponents. But his feet and his upright stand wont do it longterm. He needs way more time to develop.

I also think Smith was drafted to be our future LT. Everything else (like using him as an guard) would make this pick a bust even if he goes to 6 Pro Bowls as a guard.
The guy was drafted with a top OC for us to have. And we have a big need there too. He is considered a project. For a first round pick that is a lot risk our FO again refused to aknowledge. After all those missed picks they still seem to be stubborn when it comes to learn how to draft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That sounds like a solid idea. :)

That does sound like a pretty good idea. Would put a whole new perspective on the mile high club. Too bad Jerry and Stephen don’t have Twitter accounts I would send them a tweet.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That does sound like a pretty good idea. Would put a whole new perspective on the mile high club. Too bad Jerry and Stephen don’t have Twitter accounts I would send them a tweet.
Hang a note in the VIP lounge of his local strip club.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Pretty easy choice. He was drafted as the replacement and like it or not the time is here. You decided to play him at guard which in hindsight I’m sure all the coaches wish he had been playing LT, but if he’s not ready yet, then easy choice - you trade or sign a FA. Won’t get a franchise LT, in a trade you will obviously have to give up more value than you would like, but won’t flop the season either. Big Mac, your decision probably makes or breaks your Cowboys Career - I hope the Jones Boys are giving you some say in this.

75boyz

Reaction score
IMO you go get a veteran presence with some game experience and keep Smith at guard. The line would be stronger and better off. It's not like they didn't have opportunities to do that.

Exactly. I feel the same. The rest of your previous post was spot on as well.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
we may have wanted to initiate tyler smith at guard...but we didn't draft him to be a og.
we drafted him to be our next franchise tackle.
i hate losing his power inside...but let the dog hunt.

Cebrin

Reaction score
As this year’s first round pick, Tyler Smith was drafted as “the replacement for Tyron Smith”. And although it would have been better to give him time to develop and adjust to the NFL game as a LG, circumstances as they are now make that plan mute.

He has had very little actual prep at LT this pre-season, so we should be prepared for some major growing pains, especially at first as he adjusts to the NFL speed and talent. The difference between playing at Tulsa and playing in the NFL is quite an adjustment. But he does have a lot of raw talent. Emphasis on raw.

But if Tyler Smith is the long term answer, we might as well get started finding out. If he isn’t the answer, this organization will have to move LT back to the top of team needs in the draft. The LT position is second only to QB in importance and not an easy one to find plug and play talent.

One other thought- playing Tyler at LT is probably what should be done for long term purposes. But in the short term, be prepared for a lesser level of team performance. It will be tougher to win the East and make the playoffs. Not impossible but much tougher.
If he learns to use those big hands with technique he'll be a monster.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
A rookie is our savior. The Rams savior was a former super bowl mvp vet. Comical

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm going to go on record and say it is mistake to start Tyler Smith at left tackle.

You are putting a child with no NFL experience into a man's job going against the absolute best the NFL has to offer every week. And we are counting on philbin to have him prepared to accomplish this task in a week please

I agree with Nate Newton's thoughts on the subject because if anyone is an expert on it he is.
Worse yet The guy has an injured ankle and isn't even 100% healthy I mean how can this be a good idea

I could almost be coerced to buy into this if we still had some other quality offensive line players other than Zack Martin.

Martin is not going to be there to help him.

Ball ,McGovern ,Biadasz . It's the blind leading the blind. Teams will smell the inexperienced like blood in the water and be on them young guys like a pack of hounds it's going to be ugly Mark my words

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
IMO you go get a veteran presence with some game experience and keep Smith at guard. The line would be stronger and better off. It's not like they didn't have opportunities to do that.
Now this is a sensible solution

plymkr

Reaction score

I don't feel we'll win the super bowl this year so if the plan is for Tyler to be the next long term LT then put him there now and lets get the growing pains out of the way in a rebuilding year. I would still like a backup OT in case Tyler gets dinged up cuz Ball is not giving me confidence if he has to play at all. I think Ball would shorten Dak's career. No sense in putting our 160 million, franchise QB is a more hazardous situation then he already is in. So yeah if Tyler is the future at LT then the future is now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd rather have Tyler Smith play LT and sit when/if Tyron comes back than have Tyler play G the year through.

Better yet just play the guy at LT while Tyron is out, and LG if Tyron comes back.

Tyler is the future of the oline. Just play him.

75boyz

Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned the possibility IF Tyler Smith shows he is NOT a starting LT but should have been left at LG.

Is that a part of this whole think tank as well?
And what is the Plan B in that scenario?

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
I don't feel we'll win the super bowl this year so if the plan is for Tyler to be the next long term LT then put him there now and lets get the growing pains out of the way in a rebuilding year. I would still like a backup OT in case Tyler gets dinged up cuz Ball is not giving me confidence if he has to play at all. I think Ball would shorten Dak's career. No sense in putting our 160 million, franchise QB is a more hazardous situation then he already is in. So yeah if Tyler is the future at LT then the future is now.

Hey I don't think we'll win a super bowl any year but it would be still nice if Tyler would get the opportunity to develop and not be thrown into a situation that will destroy his confidence before his NFL career even gets started

plymkr

Reaction score
Hey I don't think we'll win a super bowl any year but it would be still nice if Tyler would get the opportunity to develop and not be thrown into a situation that will destroy his confidence before his NFL career even gets started
I agree but Jerry planned/hoped Tyron would play and he was wrong and here we are

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No doubt he was drafted as heir apparent to Tyron. And that’s probably what we’ll do. He could grow into it and after the early embarrassment hopefully he can overcome if the talent is there.

The more logical move would probably be moving Steele over. He didn’t do too bad last year with Tyron out. Leave Tyler at LG. Move McGovern to RG and Martin to RT. Larry Allen was All Pro at 2 positions.

And if Steele struggles we can always move Tyler over there while giving him more time to practice and establish himself on OL at LG. It sets Tyler up more for success . Similar to what we did with Tyron his rookie season not starting him on Day 1 at LT.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

At this point he's are only in house option. There will be growing pains, but if he can wind up even being an average starting LT this season that will be a win.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wherever Tyler Smith ends up being used, it’s still clear as of this moment, the Cowboys need some immediate help at OL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wherever Tyler Smith ends up being used, it’s still clear as of this moment, the Cowboys need some immediate help at OL.
Yea,imagine if we have anymore injuries which is very likely at some point during the season without much depth at all.

OL could become a crisis center for us. Call 911 :)