Why We Lost

garyv

Reaction score
Brady had a clean pocket all night. I only remember us even hitting him one time.

Yes, there were other reasons, there are always several, but that was the biggie. If you don't pressure Brady, he wins almost every time. Find a way.

Brady gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds very difficult to get to him

kskboys

Reaction score
no we lost because of bad clock management at the end...it wasn't the conservativeness of the calls.....Moore and MC should have told everyone to stay in bounds and run the clock. that's contingency planning. goal is to get a TD...if not, then a field goal and all the while make sure you don't leave time for the other team...you still had three timeouts if necessary.... the players kept going out of bounds...CD made a great catch, got us close to field goal range, but instead of going down 2 yards early and being smart, he ran out of bounds and stopped the clock for them...that was stupid. that's bad coaching and meaning the offense is not on the same page...

this team and its coaches aren't that smart.
That is one of the reasons.

kskboys

Reaction score
That goes both ways. If Lamb catches the deep pass from Dak, how does the game turn out?

Three of the turnovers we caused: Lawrence punching out the fumble, the interception on the Hail Mary and the fumble forced by Kazee.

The other turnover, the pass off Fournette's hands was practically the same as our turnover off CeeDee's hands. Their defense stopped us on that possession the same way we stopped them.
Of course. But those are details. In the big pic, we did not do a good job collapsing the pocket, and it allowed Brady to walk up and down the field on us.

kskboys

Reaction score
You jam WR's to disrupt timing and help your rushing by rerouting the WR , giving your rushers more time to rush. Playing press however would have made it an even bigger mismatch for our defense, and wouldn't have helped the pass rush a bit
Absolutely. If the pressure is not there, nothing much matters when playing Brady. And to get consistent pressure you need talent all across your DLine. Get that memo to Jerry!!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
He gets rid of the ball so fast. The long TD passes against us haven’t gone away, or poor red zone play on both sides of the ball. If we make the short FG and extra point, do we win or does TB still score a winning TD.

Tampa Bay is a consistent football team. We are not. We outplayed them and also made more mistakes. We clean up the mistakes and players continue to improve we could do something.
This defense is going to improve quickly over time if we have health.

kskboys

Reaction score
This defense is going to improve quickly over time if we have health.
Agree completely.

What's missing now is our Fletcher Cox, our Grady Jarret, Chris Jones, Cam Heyward, Jeffrey Simmons or Cameron Jordon. We desperately need the guy who requires a double in the middle every play.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Brady had a clean pocket all night. I only remember us even hitting him one time.

Yes, there were other reasons, there are always several, but that was the biggie. If you don't pressure Brady, he wins almost every time. Find a way.
K, this is why I was so upset when the Alabama monster DT, Christian Barmore, dropped into the 2nd round and was still available come the 40th pick, only 4 picks before the Cowboys were set to pick in the 2nd round, yet the Cowboys did absolutely nothing to bundle up their 44th pick with a late 4th rounder to move up 4 spots to get him!

Instead, the Patriots made the move up to get Barmore, which is not surprising since Belichick is a defensive genius and totally understands what helps win championships.

Jerry, McCarthy, Quinn and the rest of the front office dropped the ball BIG TIME, and here are the Cowboys paying the price for such incompetence and negligence once again.

Unbelievable. :facepalm:

kskboys

Reaction score
K, this is why I was so upset when the Alabama monster DT, Christian Barmore, dropped into the 2nd round and was still available come the 40th pick, only 4 picks before the Cowboys were set to pick in the 2nd round, yet the Cowboys did absolutely nothing to bundle up their 44th pick with a late 4th rounder to move up 4 spots to get him!

Instead, the Patriots made the move up to get Barmore, which is not surprising since Belichick is a defensive genius and totally understands what helps win championships.

Jerry, McCarthy, Quinn and the rest of the front office dropped the ball BIG TIME, and here are the Cowboys paying the price for such incompetence and negligence once again.

And we've ignored the Grady Jarret types over the years way too many times.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Could've performed surgery in the pocket, it was so clean.
thats funny lol.
But they didnt pressure dak much either, only 1 sack in the game.
both teams went with coverage over pressure. thats why it turned into a shootout.

kskboys

Reaction score
thats funny lol.
But they didnt pressure dak much either, only 1 sack in the game.
both teams went with coverage over pressure. thats why it turned into a shootout.
Dak was pressured some and made several throws w/ pressure in his face. He was phenomenal.

Going w/ coverage over pressure against frickin' Brady is what's funny, lol, very sadly funny and dumber'n dirt.

"Hey, I have an idea. Let's go w/ a D plan against Brady that has never worked!! Yessss, great idea!!!!"

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

He's one of the best at getting rid of the dang ball, too.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

I would have to agree, they didnt do any moving , except maybe one down?
and even if he had been there would they have picked him?? I doubt it. they wanted the rapper guy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I would have to agree, they didnt do any moving , except maybe one down?
and even if he had been there would they have picked him?? I doubt it. they wanted the rapper guy.
True. Once again, Cowboys made the wrong move. They could have had CB Kelvin Joseph early in the 3rd...possibly...in my opinion. Just gets me upset how the Cowboys REFUSE to draft any BIG DTs to immediately help fix our interior D-line.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dak was pressured some and made several throws w/ pressure in his face. He was phenomenal.

Going w/ coverage over pressure against frickin' Brady is what's funny, lol, very sadly funny and dumber'n dirt.

"Hey, I have an idea. Let's go w/ a D plan against Brady that has never worked!! Yessss, great idea!!!!"
Well thats why I keep saying game plans are where dallas is weak, they dont come up with great game plans.
The right game plan will help your players win the game, the wrong one will make it harder to win the game.
I think we saw that last night.
That being said I didnt like tampa's game plan either.
Tampa should have run the ball more especially against dallas who has been weak against the run.

I think they saw our secondary as the weak spot, so went for more passing, and dallas because tampa has been tough against the run at end of last year,
they just decided they had to go all pass.
pollard only had 3 carries, but had a 4.7 avg, so who knows what happens if they ran him 25 times.

terra

Reaction score
Well thats why I keep saying game plans are where dallas is weak, they dont come up with great game plans.
The right game plan will help your players win the game, the wrong one will make it harder to win the game.
I think we saw that last night.
That being said I didnt like tampa's game plan either.
Tampa should have run the ball more especially against dallas who has been weak against the run.

I think they saw our secondary as the weak spot, so went for more passing, and dallas because tampa has been tough against the run at end of last year,
they just decided they had to go all pass.
pollard only had 3 carries, but had a 4.7 avg, so who knows what happens if they ran him 25 times.
Pollard is this generations Troy Hambrick

Adreme

Reaction score
Unless you jam his receivers and pressure him. That's what it's all about. No excuses.

Jamming on every play is a recipe to get beaten deep. There is a reason people have known the way to beat Brady for 15 years but yet not been able to pull it off and that is because he gets the ball out so fast.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Creative can only go so far when your DLine is being owned at the LOS. What we really need is upfront disruption, period. That would solve most of our problems on D.
You and I have agreed about this for years…for whatever reason, this front office does not value the DT and S positions enough to invest first round talent. You have been saying for years, and I strongly agree. Until we get a better DL, our defense will never be better than mediocre.