Why We Lost

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm telling you. If you have 8 cbs, then the dline will have time to get home within 10 seconds

It's the true way football should be played
I think he was being sarcastic. Great defenses usually begin up front.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They destroyed our corners on man coverage. What game were you watching? The only player that was really good covering his receiver was Diggs.
They would have destroyed them in press man too. Brown and Lewis weren't going to push Brown and Goodwin off their route one bit. Probably would have been even worse if we presses them. Diggs is the only good press CB we had on the field

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh, and they destroyed them anyway. Might as well try something else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brown, Anthony's probably had a better chance playing off man. He actually didn't pretty well keep Antonio in front of him as a rookie. Playing press, once Antonio beats his jam he is flying right by him for a long gain. Anthony wont be able to reroute him enough to help pressure anyways

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not w/ consistent pressure.
You jam WR's to disrupt timing and help your rushing by rerouting the WR , giving your rushers more time to rush. Playing press however would have made it an even bigger mismatch for our defense, and wouldn't have helped the pass rush a bit

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Can't say we outplayed them. If not for some really bad TO's and drops on their part, they score a lot more. Our D really didn't stop them all night. Brady was drinking coffee and eating doughnuts in the pocket. Could've performed surgery in the pocket, it was so clean.

That goes both ways. If Lamb catches the deep pass from Dak, how does the game turn out?

Three of the turnovers we caused: Lawrence punching out the fumble, the interception on the Hail Mary and the fumble forced by Kazee.

The other turnover, the pass off Fournette's hands was practically the same as our turnover off CeeDee's hands. Their defense stopped us on that possession the same way we stopped them.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Hopefully, the pass rush will improve once gallimore returns and the cowboys will bring pressure up the middle

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Brown, Anthony's probably had a better chance playing off man. He actually didn't pretty well keep Antonio in front of him as a rookie. Playing press, once Antonio beats his jam he is flying right by him for a long gain. Anthony wont be able to reroute him enough to help pressure anyways

This is partly true because one thing that became clear to me last night is that Anthony Brown is not very strong up top. He does a terrible job on jams.. He also seems to have terrible footwork like on the long TD .. he reacted to the hesitation move by completely shifting his weight back toward the line of scrimmage without even being touched. Antonio Brown is fast but he is nowhere near as fast as Anthony Brown and without the stupid body shift would never have been able to get that separation on the dead run. It was poor technique which he displays all the time. He's a good #4 or #5 corner but has no business starting.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They lost because McCarthy played it "conservative" at the end of the game and went for an early FG, instead of trying to still get first downs and keep Brady off the field. The Cowboys were in perfect position to salt the game away and run out the clock, especially since the Boys had matchup advantages all over the field at the WR position (even at TE). Couple of easy throws on 1st or 2nd down when the game was under 2:00 minutes, force Tampa then to use all their TOs, and the advantage goes to the Cowboys, leaving Brady with little time and no TOs. Nope, instead, they ran the ball on 2nd and 10, an obvious running play too, with Dak yelling out "kill, kill!" at the LOS.
:facepalm: ...so EVERYone knew that was a running play. Made it too easy.

The Cowboys could have easily won that game at the end, but they let Brady and the Bucs off the hook by playing conservatively.

Yet again, the Cowboys played well enough to win, obviously, but got outcoached. :mad:

And if anything, the Cowboys lost the game because they still get outcoached in the Red Zone on both sides of the ball...the other team scoring TDs and the Cowboys settling FGs. Again, more coaching (and execution) issues...which has been the issue for 10+ years now. Still not fixed.

:thumbdown:
no we lost because of bad clock management at the end...it wasn't the conservativeness of the calls.....Moore and MC should have told everyone to stay in bounds and run the clock. that's contingency planning. goal is to get a TD...if not, then a field goal and all the while make sure you don't leave time for the other team...you still had three timeouts if necessary.... the players kept going out of bounds...CD made a great catch, got us close to field goal range, but instead of going down 2 yards early and being smart, he ran out of bounds and stopped the clock for them...that was stupid. that's bad coaching and meaning the offense is not on the same page...

this team and its coaches aren't that smart.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady picked TB for a reason because he's the textbook pocket passer and the OL wasn't the reason Winston threw so many picks while throwing for the most yards., which they were the reason for and he knew Arians would provide protection.

The Cowboys are going to have to manufacture a pass rush with Parsons or Smith because their front 4 can't get that done against a decent OL, let alone a good one.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is partly true because one thing that became clear to me last night is that Anthony Brown is not very strong up top. He does a terrible job on jams.. He also seems to have terrible footwork like on the long TD .. he reacted to the hesitation move by completely shifting his weight back toward the line of scrimmage without even being touched. Antonio Brown is fast but he is nowhere near as fast as Anthony Brown and without the stupid body shift would never have been able to get that separation on the dead run. It was poor technique which he displays all the time. He's a good #4 or #5 corner but has no business starting.
I think he is a decent #3. He is somewhat diverse in where you can play him. He will hold up well against your more run of the mill guys. AB looks like he is close to his Pittsburgh form. Definitely now run of the mill.

Funny thing is Brown has actually had some success against AB. His rookie year he gave up alot of catches playing off man, but really limited AB's impact meeting him at the catch. I think he had 10 for 100, but alot of those catches where 5, 6 yards

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I don't get the desire to try and pin the loss on one thing whether it be a play, bad call, unit, player, coaching decision, etc. These losses are always an accumulation of mistakes that, if one or more weren't made, could have changed the outcome of the game.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
no we lost because of bad clock management at the end...it wasn't the conservativeness of the calls.....Moore and MC should have told everyone to stay in bounds and run the clock. that's contingency planning. goal is to get a TD...if not, then a field goal and all the while make sure you don't leave time for the other team...you still had three timeouts if necessary.... the players kept going out of bounds...CD made a great catch, got us close to field goal range, but instead of going down 2 yards early and being smart, he ran out of bounds and stopped the clock for them...that was stupid. that's bad coaching and meaning the offense is not on the same page...

this team and its coaches aren't that smart.

We're on the same page, CFH. What you call "bad clock management", I simply call "bad coaching". I agree, they should have managed the clock much better, AND they should have been still actively trying to get first downs like they got all the rest of their first downs all game...by passing. When Tampa has 3 TOs and there's just under 2 minutes on the clock, that's not the time to run the ball on 2nd and 10 to try to kill the clock. At that point, you do what's best to get the next first down. They ran the ball on 2nd and 10, an obvious running play. At that point, when they did that, they bailed Tampa out. Now it's 3rd and long.

Bad clock management + bad play calls = bad coaching

It's looking like Garrett 2.0 to me. Bad coaching, late in games, losses still mounting. The Cowboys could have won this game if they just kept running their efficient offense...hec, they should have been trying to score a TD the way The Leg was kicking, not settling for a long-ish FG. That was just stupid. Settling for a long-ish FG AND left Tampa with too much time and TOs, knowing they'd only need a FG to win. WHO DOES THAT? A bad coach.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Is that right . . . then my theory about selective Penalty Calls in order to manipulate the Out Come of Games stands true

Because its entertainment not Sport and the Mafia writes the Scripts

I'm not sure if I'll go all the way to the NFL being scripted with you, however, sometimes I wonder. haha The selective penalties are so blatant sometimes. We are driving the field and magically the holding penalties start getting called on us. Brady starts driving the field and I see massive holding happening and a non-call OPI happen. Zero penalties. All to set up their wonder boy Brady!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We're on the same page, CFH. What you call "bad clock management", I simply call "bad coaching". I agree, they should have managed the clock much better, AND they should have been still actively trying to get first downs like they got all the rest of their first downs all game...by passing. When Tampa has 3 TOs and there's just under 2 minutes on the clock, that's not the time to run the ball on 2nd and 10 to try to kill the clock. At that point, you do what's best to get the next first down. They ran the ball on 2nd and 10, an obvious running play. At that point, when they did that, they bailed Tampa out. Now it's 3rd and long.

Bad clock management + bad play calls = bad coaching

It's looking like Garrett 2.0 to me. Bad coaching, late in games, losses still mounting. The Cowboys could have won this game if they just kept running their efficient offense...hec, they should have been trying to score a TD the way The Leg was kicking, not settling for a long-ish FG. That was just stupid. Settling for a long-ish FG AND left Tampa with too much time and TOs, knowing they'd only need a FG to win. WHO DOES THAT? A bad coach.
:hammer:

I have often said, there is not much difference between schemes and plays in the NFL. its how you call them, when you call them and managing the game. most games go into the 4th quarter within a score, its how you manage the game from 1st quarter to last and when you play good teams, good coaches, its how you manage the game in the last few minutes against them that sets you apart.