Why were WR's running open?

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep seeing this as an excuse for Dak's great game.

For the first time in forever, I saw an O scheme that took advantage of NYG's scheme of stopping the run. Why do you think Zeke only had, what was it, 11 carries? Easy, because Moore saw what they were doing and took advantage of it. As opposed to Linny simply running into the teeth of their D.

Will this keep up? I'm pretty sure it will. Moore may or not be a lot of things, but one thing he definitely is, a football brain. Dude had his own playbook "IN COLLEGE". He understands the game like no other on this staff. He gets it. You cannot teach what this kid has.

Is this premature gushing on my part? I don't think so. I saw exactly what I expected from this kid. Taking advantage of mismatches, taking advantage of opponents schemes, and hugely taking advantage of NYG's scheme to stop our running game. No longer are we going to see Zeke repeatedly running into stack boxes, no longer are we going to see our receivers running at the DB and just turning around. And now, suddenly WR's are running open, getting open as many of us thought was possible, creating the separation that is key for any QB. NO exceptions.

Welcome to the NFL coaching world, Kellen. And we look forward to when you become the HC as Garret is moved up to GM. Or whatever title he's given up top.

Jerry got this one right. I know I've bagged on Jerry many many times over the years, but I've also been ready to give him his kudos when he gets it. This is his boy, and this one couldn't have been any more in the center of the target.

Looking forward to some great football!!!! Itsa comin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I've always been optimistic about Moore because I followed him in Boise, where he was pretty much an offensive genius. His playing talent didn't translate into the NFL, but his knowledge and creativity of disguising tendencies certainly have.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For the first time in forever, I saw an O scheme that took advantage of NYG's scheme of stopping the run. Why do you think Zeke only had, what was it, 11 carries? Easy, because Moore saw what they were doing and took advantage of it. As opposed to Linny simply running into the teeth of their D.

Will this keep up? I'm pretty sure it will. Moore may or not be a lot of things, but one thing he definitely is, a football brain. Dude had his own playbook "IN COLLEGE". He understands the game like no other on this staff. He gets it. You cannot teach what this kid has.

Is this premature gushing on my part? I don't think so. I saw exactly what I expected from this kid. Taking advantage of mismatches, taking advantage of opponents schemes, and hugely taking advantage of NYG's scheme to stop our running game. No longer are we going to see Zeke repeated running into stack boxes, no longer are we going to see our receivers running at the DB and just turning around. And now, suddenly WR's are running open, getting open as many of us thought was possible, creating the separation that is key for any QB. NO exceptions.

Welcome to the NFL coaching world, Kellen. And we look forward to when you become the HC as Garret is moved up to GM. Or whatever title he's given up top.

Jerry got this one right. I know I've bagged on Jerry many many times over the years, but I've also been ready to give him his kudos when he gets it. This is his boy, and this one couldn't have been any more in the center of the target.

He the son of a coach and actually had his own plays as a junior and senior in high school and was his own OC.

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought it was a great game by Moore.

However, WR's were running wide open last year against the Rams in the playoffs as well. Probably more open than yesterday.
Then ask yourself, why did Dak suddenly become able to hit them? Do you think it might be because a vastly improved scheme/playcalling put his eyes in a different spot, where the WR was going to be? Think, man. It's the OC's job to put his QB in the best position to succeed. Think you might have seen some of that?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Is this premature gushing on my part? I don't think so. I saw exactly what I expected from this kid. Taking advantage of mismatches, taking advantage of opponents schemes, and hugely taking advantage of NYG's scheme to stop our running game. No longer are we going to see Zeke repeated running into stack boxes, no longer are we going to see our receivers running at the DB and just turning around. And now, suddenly WR's are running open, getting open as many of us thought was possible, creating the separation that is key for any QB. NO exceptions.

In a league where the talent differential between teams is pretty thin, scheme and coaching creativity has never been at a greater premium. And we saw that yesterday here for the first time in a while.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Then ask yourself, why did Dak suddenly become able to hit them? Do you think it might be because a vastly improved scheme/playcalling put his eyes in a different spot, where the WR was going to be? Think, man. It's the OC's job to put his QB in the best position to succeed. Think you might have seen some of that?
John Kitna?

waldoputty

Reaction score
well there were a lot of new wrinkles that would confuse most defenders.
dc's would be studying film to figure out what these mean.
adjustments would be made and a lot would depend on how many options can be done from each formation.
also will moore show tendencies?
if he designed his scheme well, then defenses would just have to decide on what to focus on.

i wonder how much of this was because jerry and stephen saw what the rams did to us with all the motion that totally confused our defense.
looks like they gave the power to moore over garrett, and lets hope it stays this way even through bad games.

CB61

Reaction score
I think after all the criticism last year he decided that he needed to get better? Only time will tell if that is it or if it was an anomaly? It's only been one game let's see what happens when adversity hits

kskboys

Reaction score
I think after all the criticism last year he decided that he needed to get better? Only time will tell if that is it or if it was an anomaly? It's only been one game let's see what happens when adversity hits
That would be a very thin reason!!!!

You don't see any effect from the Kitmo coaching tree here? Really?

And of course, there is much much more to see before the final anointing, that's so obvious no need to even say it!!!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
According to next gen stats, Prescott had ONE QB pressure, lol.

DFWJC

Reaction score
One thing that seems be overlooked is that Dak had time when needed. Moore and the oline coaches had these guys ready for a lot of the blitzes.
It was impressive.

Either way, make no mistake; Dak was in a comfort zone and was hitting both the easy and difficult throws.
Just a really strong performance all-around by the offense.