Why were WR's running open?

kskboys

Reaction score
stubbornness.
I have to think so.

People have forgotten that early on, those two numnuts were refusing to run the ball, same as they did before Murray had his breakout season. They quite simply just don't get the running game.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
I guess the fact this board routinely has been on Dak's nuggs about his ability to pass. Or the fact most defensive coordinators game plan to take away the running game and force Dak to beat them is just a mirage.

Those facts, and they are facts, indicates he hasn't been as special in the past as he was last night. He has grown into this position. If he keeps this up, the team will be a tough game for any other team this season.

I am not knocking his play. I am saying he has improved.

Dallas went 10 and 2 last year once they got Coop. That was entirely Dak figuring it out and without the kind of guidance he now has. 10-2 ain't bad. Zeke had not given them such a dominate record. Dak getting the ball to Coop gave them that dominant record. So yea Dak has shown he has the skills. Combine his skills with expert guidance and the best running back in football and the team starts to look unstoppable. It is best to base your opinion on what is happening on the field, not the opinions of this forum.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dallas went 10 and 2 last year once they got Coop. That was entirely Dak figuring it out and without the kind of guidance he now has. 10-2 ain't bad. Zeke had not given them such a dominate record. Dak getting the ball to Coop gave them that dominant record. So yea Dak has shown he has the skills. Combine his skills with expert guidance and the best running back in football and the team starts to look unstoppable. It is best to base your opinion on what is happening on the field, not the opinions of this forum.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Dak was still facing teams who game planned to take Zeke out of the game. Dak was still struggling with the long ball. Maybe some of it was Gallup's rookie season. But they worked together this off season to get that right. Last night suggests that work paid off. But his deep throws were on target for all receivers. And that has changed.

Kitna was not instructing about foot placement and getting the front shoulder aiming at the target like they spent the entire off season perfecting. Nor did Dak have an OC who watched the game and understood what the defense was doing and utilized a much better receiver corp to exploit that.

Maybe you should read my post again. I am not disagreeing with your position.

Nor am I basing my opinion on what this board thinks. Conversely I am suggesting the portion of the board that continually lambastes Dak has been wrong.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Noone is truly insinuating this was an easy game and dak was lucky it was a poor opponent with nearly no pass rush and bad converge skills that were overplaying the run and bit on a lot of PA passes etc..

but its true

however id say 1/3 was Dak being in nice zone this game 1/3 = moore ie his scheme had our WRs were open more and with extra time because of the oline Dak hit the deeper routes more often and finally 1/3 it was bad defense..

all the kneejerk reaction that this is the new dak the new offense and now we are going to be looking like this weekly , is living on the moon..

Sure all 3 WR plus Tes helped and maybe with Moore we have this ability but not all teams play defense this way nor do they have that bad of players lol so expect a lot of balance hopefully we can win some low scoring Run based defensive games and when Zeke is running wild they have to either let him or come back down in the box and then boom we can make them pay..

if this lasts and this is truly a better offense, time will tell..you have to win in any way you can, ie adjust to whatever the defense gives you and take advantage of it.. NE does this weekly they are strictly a game plan team that changes their identity to match best against the defense they are playing etc..the ability's to play anyway that called for and have plan for it , is what we've been lacking..

we will know by December , who we really are..i wan to see how this team reacts when they are down or have bad first half and cant pass or cant run or whatever it is that they are failing at, and storm out looking like different team with an adjustment to come and look like different team..

thats the key.... Dak and this team even with SL and garett have had similarly great games but its been inconsistent.. this is simply one great passing game..The rams game we never saw them figure out how to get the rams truly off their original game plan..

Batman1980

Reaction score
I keep seeing this as an excuse for Dak's great game.

For the first time in forever, I saw an O scheme that took advantage of NYG's scheme of stopping the run. Why do you think Zeke only had, what was it, 11 carries? Easy, because Moore saw what they were doing and took advantage of it. As opposed to Linny simply running into the teeth of their D.

Will this keep up? I'm pretty sure it will. Moore may or not be a lot of things, but one thing he definitely is, a football brain. Dude had his own playbook "IN COLLEGE". He understands the game like no other on this staff. He gets it. You cannot teach what this kid has.

Is this premature gushing on my part? I don't think so. I saw exactly what I expected from this kid. Taking advantage of mismatches, taking advantage of opponents schemes, and hugely taking advantage of NYG's scheme to stop our running game. No longer are we going to see Zeke repeatedly running into stack boxes, no longer are we going to see our receivers running at the DB and just turning around. And now, suddenly WR's are running open, getting open as many of us thought was possible, creating the separation that is key for any QB. NO exceptions.

Welcome to the NFL coaching world, Kellen. And we look forward to when you become the HC as Garret is moved up to GM. Or whatever title he's given up top.

Jerry got this one right. I know I've bagged on Jerry many many times over the years, but I've also been ready to give him his kudos when he gets it. This is his boy, and this one couldn't have been any more in the center of the target.

Looking forward to some great football!!!! Itsa comin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truly pick your poison. HOF TE and 3 speedy WRs beating you deep or a top 3 RB gashing you out of the backfield. I do think it will take Zeke awhile to get going, 13 for 53 just isn't $90 million quality.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For the first time in forever, I saw an O scheme that took advantage of NYG's scheme of stopping the run. Why do you think Zeke only had, what was it, 11 carries? Easy, because Moore saw what they were doing and took advantage of it. As opposed to Linny simply running into the teeth of their D.

Will this keep up? I'm pretty sure it will. Moore may or not be a lot of things, but one thing he definitely is, a football brain. Dude had his own playbook "IN COLLEGE". He understands the game like no other on this staff. He gets it. You cannot teach what this kid has.

Is this premature gushing on my part? I don't think so. I saw exactly what I expected from this kid. Taking advantage of mismatches, taking advantage of opponents schemes, and hugely taking advantage of NYG's scheme to stop our running game. No longer are we going to see Zeke repeatedly running into stack boxes, no longer are we going to see our receivers running at the DB and just turning around. And now, suddenly WR's are running open, getting open as many of us thought was possible, creating the separation that is key for any QB. NO exceptions.

Welcome to the NFL coaching world, Kellen. And we look forward to when you become the HC as Garret is moved up to GM. Or whatever title he's given up top.

Jerry got this one right. I know I've bagged on Jerry many many times over the years, but I've also been ready to give him his kudos when he gets it. This is his boy, and this one couldn't have been any more in the center of the target.

Kellen Moore created his own playbook in elementary school. Seriously.

aria

Reaction score
One good game against one of the worst teams in the league keeps me neutral on Moore and Dak. The next two games will keep me neutral on Moore and Dak unless we lose. Let’s see how both pan out against the better teams in the league, not 3 of the 4 worst.

This isn’t a knock on anyone but it’s almost like some of you know nothing about the Giants, Skins or Miami. This shouldn’t have been a shock to those who do keep up with our competition. We just schooled a team that has won a total of 8 games over the past two years and are arguably worse on both sides of the ball then they were last year, especially defense and that’s hard to do considering they were at the bottom of most defensive stats. Outside of Miami and maybe the Jets, the Giants were probably the worst team we’ll play all year.

Kudos to Dak, Moore and the rest of the offense for making it look easy but just as 90% of the people in the live first half were on the ledge after the first five minutes, this was one game against a piss poor team so it’s hard for me to start slamming the kool aid. Hopefully we can circle back to this in 8 weeks and I’ll put a lot more stock into what’s going on depending on the results.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I thought it was a great game by Moore.

However, WR's were running wide open last year against the Rams in the playoffs as well. Probably more open than yesterday.

Because Linny and his birdsize brain kept running Zeke up the middle and decided not to take what the Rams were giving.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Did you you see comeback routes or talented WRs just running to the db and turning around? I sure didn’t see much off those tried and true Garrett routes. I saw WRs using their talents to run routes designed to get them open and catch the ball on the run and try and score. Then you ask yourself what the hell has Garrett been thinking all these years and why has everyone gone along with it?

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
I saw Dak stepping up and moving around in the pocket some and not panicking and feeling pressure that wasn't there or not feeling pressure that was, like he tended to do a lot the last couple of years. That is huge for him. So yeah I think Kitna is helping Dak a ton.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
8-3

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This was a career day from Dak. Only the 3rd perfect passing rating In Cowboy history.

But we knew coming in Elliott was only going to see about a dozen carries. And NY had one of the worst passing defenses last year. 24th in NFL.

It was one of our best opening games in years. If we put up 30+ points this season we’ll be tough to beat. We can build confidence and momentum from this game moving forward. This could be fun.

But I’m not ready to anoint we’ve turned the corner just yet. We have a stretch in October which should be a better gauge for us. And ultimately when we have the more Elite defenses and teams in playoffs.

Last edited:

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

If we keep this up, and the defense comes together in the next few weeks, look out NFL!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This was a career day from Dak. Only the 3rd perfect passing rating In Cowboy history.

But we knew coming in Elliott was only going to see about a dozen carries. And NY had one of the worst passing defenses last year. 24th in NFL.

It was one of our best opening games in years. If we put up 30+ points this season we’ll be tough to beat. We can build confidence and momentum from this game moving forward. This could be fun.

But I’m not ready to anoint we’ve turned the corner just yet. We have a stretch in October which should be a better gauge for us. And ultimately when we have the more Elite defenses and teams in playoffs.

I’d just add Moore’s play calling was good but we’ve also added talent in Cobb, Witten return , Freddy back at center and Cooper from Day 1.

The more talent surrounding Dak the better the results should be . But we will see more rushing attempts from Elliott moving forward. Limited carries was part of the plan yesterday with Zekes limited practice and no action in Camp.