Why Would Any College Player or Free Agent Want to Play in Dallas?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other than playing in a lot of prime time games, why would any college player or free agent want to sign here other than money?
  1. The Jones boys know nothing about building a roster that can mk noise in the playoffs
  2. The Jones boys have put together a 29-year, no div playoff win draught
  3. No one should expect to win a ring to come to this dysfunctional franchise
So to me, players are excited for the $$ and the exposure to prime time games and the microscope our team is always under. But to a player who wants to win a ring, I don't see Dallas as a valid franchise to expect that.
Who wouldn't want to play for an owner that has 3 Super Bowl Rings?

Hopefully players are too young to remember Landry's failures to win multiple SBs with Randy White, Tony Dorsett, etc. Greatest waste.of talent by an organization in the history of sports.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Money. Football players can easily lose their livelihood before age 30... they have a high earning potential but a very short window to realize it. If any team puts market-rate money on the table, they should at least consider the offer, because it may not be there next season.

Opportunity is probably second - would you take $5M to ride the bench, or $5M for a chance to start, where maybe you could show out. Connections would be third.

Very few teams are toxic enough to where players won't sign for market rate. And now after the death of the Belichick Patriots, I don't think there are any teams attractive enough to where a player would sign for cheaper just to join them.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Who wouldn't want to play for an owner that has 3 Super Bowl Rings?

Hopefully players are too young to remember Landry's failures to win multiple SBs with Randy White, Tony Dorsett, etc. Greatest waste.of talent by an organization in the history of sports.
There’s 29 years of rust on those three rings. Landry had 20 consecutive winning seasons so show a little respect. Just because you weren’t alive when Landry was the coach, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great period in Cowboys history. Anyone who talks about Landry like this is really showing their IQ.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Other than playing in a lot of prime time games, why would any college player or free agent want to sign here other than money?
  1. The Jones boys know nothing about building a roster that can mk noise in the playoffs
So to me, players are excited for the $$ and the exposure to prime time games and the microscope our team is always under. But to a player who wants to win a ring, I don't see Dallas as a valid franchise to expect that.
Positions in the NFL are rare, and most players just want a chance, any chance, to prove they can be productive players at the Pro level. They aren’t nearly as picky as judgmental fans.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Positions in the NFL are rare, and most players just want a chance, any chance, to prove they can be productive players at the Pro level. They aren’t nearly as picky as judgmental fans.
I guess we're all judgmental fans lol. My point is if a player really wants to win a ring, they can cross Dallas off their lists of preferred landing spots.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s 29 years of rust on those three rings. Landry had 20 consecutive winning seasons so show a little respect. Just because you weren’t alive when Landry was the coach, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great period in Cowboys history. Anyone who talks about Landry like this is really showing their IQ.
I was born before the Cowboys had their 1st winning season...

Watched all of Staubach's career.

Randy White is tied at #1 on my short list of all-time favorite players.

Fans would love Jerry if he had:
- Traded Jimmy and all the good players after the 92 season Super Bowl for draft picks in 2002.
- Then won another SB in about 95, then trade all the playerrs again for picks in 2012.
- Then win another SB in about 2015, repeat.

Jerry: 1 Super Bowl Win per 12 year period.
Landry: 1 Super Bowl Win per 14.5 year period.

Note: 3 x 14.5 = 43.4
- Jerry's has to win another SB before 2032 to keep his average above Landry's average.

I only care about Super Bowl Wins.
- Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I was born before the Cowboys had their 1st winning season...

Watched all of Staubach's career.

Randy White is tied at #1 on my short list of all-time favorite players.

Fans would love Jerry if he had:
- Traded Jimmy and all the good players after the 92 season Super Bowl for draft picks in 2002.
- Then won another SB in about 95, then trade all the playerrs again for picks in 2012.
- Then win another SB in about 2015, repeat.

Jerry: 1 Super Bowl Win per 12 year period.
Landry: 1 Super Bowl Win per 14.5 year period.

Note: 3 x 14.5 = 43.4
- Jerry's has to win another SB before 2032 to keep his average above Landry's average.

I only care about Super Bowl Wins.
- Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Correction: Jimmy won not Jerry. Jimmy was the architect of that dynasty. Jerry signed checks and had no veto power in football decisions. It’s fools gold to think Jerry had anything to do with that dynasty other than hiring Jimmy.

Jerry is an excellent businessman and he’s made himself extremely wealthy, but at the expense of actually winning when it counts.

Ask yourself if Jerry had been the co-architect of that 90s dynasty, why are are we still trying to reach nfc championship game almost 30 years later.

Landry was a winner and still hold many records as a head coach. He was a classy guy, ww2 vet. Conversely, Jerry hangs out w hookers, has god knows how many illegitimate kids, and puts his ego above winning.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If ur posting this about players. Why would you want to be a fan of the cowboys for the same reasons?

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Money, but to be honest that is all players, or owners, care about.

Yep...This forum must be filled with 16 year olds. The older I get the easier it is for me to understand that MOST NFL players don't care about SB wins at all. They care about their families and their future. The answer to the OPs question is actually very simple. The Cowboys are THE best team in all of sports to be drafted by simply because of the future you can provide your family. Sorry folks. A majority of athletes aren't in it for the reasons you think.

ArtClink

Reaction score
If ur posting this about players. Why would you want to be a fan of the cowboys for the same reasons?
You’re likely not old enough to enjoy the Landry years followed by the dynasty Jimmy built, followed by 29 years of playoff futility. Just because I’m critical of the idiot in charge for the worst 29 year playoff stretch in Cowboys history, doesn’t mk me less a fan. I’m just holding the idiot in charge to the same gold standard of excellence I’ve always used. Remember for most Cowboys fans, nothing matters except deep playoff runs and 29 years will mk the most ardent fan sceptical.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If one is realistic, why should Jerry sell? He is a very strong owner and on par in running his team with Kraft. New England's top success is more recent as to final results.
Kraft 10 Super Bowls in the salary cap era, Jones one Super Bowl in the salary cap era. Jones is not “on par” with Kraft in any way as an NFL franchise owner. Jerry got his team into one more Super Bowl than his buddy Daniel Snyder got Washington into, and neither got his team into a Super Bowl since Snyder bought the Washington NFL franchise. Jerry Jones is “on par” with Daniel Snyder as an NFL owner. Fortunately for Washington fans Snyder no longer owns the team. They must be excited.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Jimmy 3 last regime 2 easy mathe

Rangers 1970-2023 1 title that 52 years
Stars 1 title last one 1999
Mavs one title last one 2011

So Jery 3 DFW other 3 teams 3 hmm

odd thinking 28 years is horrible.. 49ers last sb 1994 washington longer
Chiefs 52 years between rings.

And that's barely touching the surface on going through all the major pro sports teams here in other places and looking at their droughts and how many championships they don't have literally Jerry's waiting on #4 the Cowboys are waiting on number six and I know it hurts we haven't been to a championship game in a very long time and no Super Bowls for a very long time but it is not as big a deal when you look at the big picture there are far other sports teams have had longer droughts some of them don't even have a single Super Bowl some of them have no championships when there are baseball team that had 100 years that the curse of the bambino or some nonsense like that they were something and you know what when they finally came they were pretty happy so 28 years doesn't seem like a really long time when you look at the grand scheme of things like are the Dallas Cowboys still number three all time in Super Bowls I mean how do you remain #3 if a 28 year drought is so ridiculously odd because it sounds like it's not...
You spelled Jimmy wrong.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You’re likely not old enough to enjoy the Landry years followed by the dynasty Jimmy built, followed by 29 years of playoff futility. Just because I’m critical of the idiot in charge for the worst 29 year playoff stretch in Cowboys history, doesn’t mk me less a fan. I’m just holding the idiot in charge to the same gold standard of excellence I’ve always used. Remember for most Cowboys fans, nothing matters except deep playoff runs and 29 years will mk the most ardent fan sceptical.
Of course I am. I'm a cowboy fan because of hershal walker. I've seen bad times. These aren't bad times' they're disappointing times. Because this team has had plenty of yrs recently that they could've and in some of those yrs should've been.playing for the superbowl. Even with dak. But the players choked. I don't see how fans can blame Jerry. He's given his players and coaches everything to win. There's a reason why this team is always a contender in media and player Circles. He's not the reason this team hasn't won it. This organizations good moves far outweigh their bad. Except passing on moss for ellis.