Why Would Any College Player or Free Agent Want to Play in Dallas?

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I can’t help if you haven’t followed me for the last 15+ years on these forums. I can’t imagine any Cowboys fan who’d still be in support of his ways this era.

But I should have known you’d end up with a personal insult when the discussion deadens.

You either believe Jethro is part of the solution or he’s part of the problem. There’s no middle ground.
When did I insult you? Besides just the exposing the fact you seemingly can give one example, that's a reach at best, of how Jones (not Jethro, that doesn't even make sense) has hurt the team. And yeah, no, I'm not following your post history for 15+ years, I have a life.

In any case, why keep up this crusade? Jones will never sell the team, his son will never sell the team, his son's son will never sell the team. The Cowboys will be owned by a Jones long after we are all dead and gone. So it's just pointless.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
When did I insult you? Besides just the exposing the fact you seemingly can give one example, that's a reach at best, of how Jones (not Jethro, that doesn't even make sense) has hurt the team. And yeah, no, I'm not following your post history for 15+ years, I have a life.

In any case, why keep up this crusade? Jones will never sell the team, his son will never sell the team, his son's son will never sell the team. The Cowboys will be owned by a Jones long after we are all dead and gone. So it's just pointless.
So is coming on here every year and pretending we have a ligidament chance to win a Sb and pretending that everything is wonderful with this organization but plenty do. It's just the way it is.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
So is coming on here every year and pretending we have a ligidament chance to win a Sb and pretending that everything is wonderful with this organization but plenty do. It's just the way it is.
Some people feel we legitimately do have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday. You have no idea what will happen during the season. The chances of us winning the Super Bowl are infinitely higher than the chance of Jones selling the team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Some people feel we legitimately do have a chance to win a Super Bowl. Anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday. You have no idea what will happen during the season. The chances of us winning the Super Bowl are infinitely higher than the chance of Jones selling the team.
If one is realistic, why should Jerry sell? He is a very strong owner and on par in running his team with Kraft. New England's top success is more recent as to final results.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Other than playing in a lot of prime time games, why would any college player or free agent want to sign here other than money?
  1. The Jones boys know nothing about building a roster that can mk noise in the playoffs
  2. The Jones boys have put together a 29-year, no div playoff win draught
  3. No one should expect to win a ring to come to this dysfunctional franchise
So to me, players are excited for the $$ and the exposure to prime time games and the microscope our team is always under. But to a player who wants to win a ring, I don't see Dallas as a valid franchise to expect that.
I am not a fan of the Jerry and Stephen Jones executive management tag team but the Cowboys do have a high regular season winning percentage during the Jones era. However, they also are responsible for crafting one of the most pathetic post season team winning percentages after the 1990s to date. This franchise squandered so many game winning opportunities after getting into post seasons and worse yet embarrassed itself with shockingly poor performances no matter who head coached. I don't think it is just about the money for players who have chosen to play football and made it into the NFL let alone the Cowboys. Those players love the recognition or notoriety particularly playing for a highly visible team. However, I am sick of hearing in the eyes of fans or media that the Cowboys are still America's team. That title has set us up for mockery and is undeserving - not that I care about that silly description to begin with.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I didn’t use your youth as a criteria or the fact my age, experience and wisdom is an advantage.

If you need specific examples of the issues our owner presents then you obviously are more supportive of him than anyone Ive heard from.

It doesn’t matter that Jethro isn’t going away as fans we should keep the pressure on not letting up on the criticism. My greatest hope is someday his heirs will not operate in the same fashion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If one is realistic, why should Jerry sell? He is a very strong owner and on par in running his team with Kraft. New England's top success is more recent as to final results.
He could sell once he reaches an age he’s physically no longer able to actively be running football operations.

Remember this was his dream to be a celebrity football guy not his children . And it’s not likely any of his heirs will operate in the same fashion as they’d have to be held accountable to the other siblings, something their Dad didn’t have to face.

Jethro always believed it was his efforts remaining the face of the franchise driving the exposure in the media ( positive or negative) that has maintained the competitive nature and popularity spurring interest in the iconic label despite the frustrations and disappointments on the field.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I didn’t use your youth as a criteria or the fact my age, experience and wisdom is an advantage.

If you need specific examples of the issues our owner presents then you obviously are more supportive of him than anyone Ive heard from.

It doesn’t matter that Jethro isn’t going away as fans we should keep the pressure on not letting up on the criticism. My greatest hope is someday his heirs will not operate in the same fashion.
I have no idea your specific age, nor do you know mine. I just inferred it based off your unwillingness to listen to any kind of reason or have an open mind on issues, which is a hallmark of being older.

I do need specific examples. If Jerry is the obvious reason why we haven't won a Super Bowl it should be easy to list them. But no one ever does, they just continue to complain endlessly.

You might want to give up that hope. It's not going to happen in either of our lifetimes, regardless of our current ages.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the Jerry and Stephen Jones executive management tag team but the Cowboys do have a high regular season winning percentage during the Jones era. However, they also are responsible for crafting one of the most pathetic post season team winning percentages after the 1990s to date. This franchise squandered so many game winning opportunities after getting into post seasons and worse yet embarrassed itself with shockingly poor performances no matter who head coached. I don't think it is just about the money for players who have chosen to play football and made it into the NFL let alone the Cowboys. Those players love the recognition or notoriety particularly playing for a highly visible team. However, I am sick of hearing in the eyes of fans or media that the Cowboys are still America's team. That title has set us up for mockery and is undeserving - not that I care about that silly description to begin with.
Agreed. "America's Team" is embarrassing since America loves a winner.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I have no idea your specific age, nor do you know mine. I just inferred it based off your unwillingness to listen to any kind of reason or have an open mind on issues, which is a hallmark of being older.

I do need specific examples. If Jerry is the obvious reason why we haven't won a Super Bowl it should be easy to list them. But no one ever does, they just continue to complain endlessly.

You might want to give up that hope. It's not going to happen in either of our lifetimes, regardless of our current ages.
  1. Only GM to dedicate an entire draft to special teams (2008)
  2. Only GM to still have their job after failing to advance to the NCF championship games 29 seasons in a row
  3. Only GM who never watches game film
Which of these facts are you disputing?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Money...money and more money. You don't seriously think that any of these guys care about actually winning a SB? To them earning millions and securing generational wealth is the super bowl. Personally, I can't say I blame them. It's a dangerous sport with life long effects on your health.
If anything winning a SB is merely viewed as an opportunity to hit some bonus and make more money be it in the form of contractual agreement with the team or endorsements.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
$ and fame. This is an age where you build your own brand and you can't get bigger than being on the cowboys. On almost every other team you have to be a top 10 QB to even start getting the recognition a decent player gets just by being a cowboy..

CCBoy

Reaction score
He could sell once he reaches an age he’s physically no longer able to actively be running football operations.

Remember this was his dream to be a celebrity football guy not his children . And it’s not likely any of his heirs will operate in the same fashion as they’d have to be held accountable to the other siblings, something their Dad didn’t have to face.

Jethro always believed it was his efforts remaining the face of the franchise driving the exposure in the media ( positive or negative) that has maintained the competitive nature and popularity spurring interest in the iconic label despite the frustrations and disappointments on the field.
Jerry loved the sport and at this point, so does his family as well. They are pretty good at successful execution of the business also. Top in the world...

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Our ages are on our profile pages.

I could say the same about your unwillingness to offer criticism.

And Jethro( a nickname given to him by local writers in early days ) doesn’t have to be obviously or directly responsible for our lack of more success to be held responsible. He’s often said he takes full responsibility. I admire that of him. He doesn’t pass the Buck to anyone. And appears to be honest to a default often exposing football decisions and intentions publicly.

It’s his intent to wear all hats as owner and GM which creates our greatest obstacle to overcome. I’d argue it’s a conflict of interest often placing the exposure of our brand ahead of football , undermining HC’s, the country club and toxic atmosphere is most damaging .

But the fact his priorities of remaining the face of our franchise and continuing running Cowboys Football as GM with his Son hasn’t been a recipe for success this era nor a model for other franchises to follow.

He even admitted he’d of fired a GM with his record. He’s also admitted his priority is “ remaining relative and interesting”. I’d argue his ambition of being a celebrity football guy has placed his personal passions ahead of what’s in the best interest of Cowboys Football.

IMO the priorities have been out of whack since Jimmy’s departure. It became obvious then that winning championships wasn’t the utmost priority as he was unwilling for someone else to become the face of his franchise receiving more fame and credit for the success. Yes, he wants to win badly but not enough to get out of the way taking credit for hiring the right person

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry loved the sport and at this point, so does his family as well. They are pretty good at successful execution of the business also. Top in the world...
Yes but without that media exposure their dad provides does their iconic brand stay at the forefront without more success on the field.

While they are capable of executing the business side are they capable of the hype of each season their daddy provides.

Despite whatever criticism I have of him he has no equal when it comes to self promotion , brand exposure and hype of his team.

Will the media and sponsors line up in the same fashion without their greatest salesman.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Yes but without that media exposure their dad provides does their iconic brand stay at the forefront without more success on the field.

While they are capable of executing the business side are they capable of the hype of each season their daddy provides.

Despite whatever criticism I have of him he has no equal when it comes to self promotion , brand exposure and hype of his team.

Will the media and sponsors line up in the same fashion without their greatest salesman.
This is great! I can't remember what success on the field means since it's been so long ...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is great! I can't remember what success on the field means since it's been so long ...
Well, some fans have argued we have had some level of success like 3 consecutive 12 win seasons and multiple playoff appearances and division titles this era . But unfortunately it hasn’t led to any playoff success.

As a matter of fact the Cowboys have set historically futility marks in the NFL this era in the playoffs which most would argue isn’t the level of success which has not only made the Cowboys an Iconic brand from previous eras with championship appearances and titles but created our fan following and popularity.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Well, some fans have argued we have had some level of success like 3 consecutive 12 win seasons and multiple playoff appearances and division titles this era . But unfortunately it hasn’t led to any playoff success.

As a matter of fact the Cowboys have set historically futility marks in the NFL this era in the playoffs which most would argue isn’t the level of success which has not only made the Cowboys an Iconic brand from previous eras with championship appearances and titles but created our fan following and popularity.
Agreed 100%