Why would McCarthy choose Dallas?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The alternative was Cleveland. I mean, it's a no brainer if you are McCarthy.

McCarthy specifically said his #1 priority was to find a team that was a good fit and had a good young QB.

No opening fits that bill better than Dallas.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Man...I dunno, I was never impressed with him in GB and think Rodgers carried him. We’ll find out soon enough when he doesn’t have a HOF’er taking snaps. The only positive I can think of is that he has allegedly been studying film and reanalyzing his own coaching methods during the off season.

I’m also very skeptical of coaches who call their own plays, it seems like they inevitably screw up game management during the most crucial moments and that includes Payton and Reid. I wasn’t big on Lincoln Riley and don’t like Urban as a person but I would have been more excited about either one of them.

Watch a lot of GB games did you? Werent impressed with a SB and making the playoffs 9 out of 13 years? 3 championship games?

Yah...…….horrible resume. Did you watch the two games that they sent our Cowboys home crying in the playoffs? One of them Rogers was limping around on one leg.

In both games Garrett got horribly out coached. If you recall, Dallas was the obvious better team in both games. One game was in Dallas.

Garrett made the same horrible game management gaff in both games. Both at the end of the first half and the 2nd half. SAME MISTAKE as he did the first game.

Gave the ball back to Rogers with too much time left on the clock.

Do yourself a favor a read a little bit on McCarthy and also the view point of former players of McCarthy. You will feel much better about it.

First gut reaction is to think he is a has been and his scheme was outdated and got fired. Another gut reaction is to assume that Rogers carried him. Although you cant argue how good he is, most of those team around Rogers were not very good. McCarthy's teams routinely outperformed their talent. And no doubt Rogers was a huge part of that.

FYI...…...McCarthy was not building those teams.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
They guy was so desperate for a job and Dallas is a better choice. so it is about ego and money.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He interviewed with every team that had a job opening except the Commanders. He had two interviews with the Panthers. I'm just guessing but I think the Panthers would have picked him up or he already had an offer.

I think the fact he was in hot demand is why Dallas jumped on him quick.
Could be. I’m just suspect no one else made him an offer. Might not mean anything.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not very good at this are you? LOL

Your Garrett love biased is so obvious. Always pushing the negative agenda with McCarthy, always assuming the worst. According to you McCarthy needs to win a SB in two years or gets fired and nobody was interested in him. And don't continue to lie, you had NO idea about the interviews.

Could be any number of reasons. Maybe both decided it wasn't the right fit. I'm sure on some he wasn't interested and on others they thought going in another direction was the way to go.
Everyone knew of the other interviews. Any idea why he wasn’t offered a job? I’m suspect .

And I’m going to continue to put pressure on Mike cause this was a hire to win now not 3-5 years from now.

We made a coaching change because we believed our coaching was holding us back. A team touted by Jerry and Stephen as talented as we’ve had since the 90’s. And the fans and media took that Hype an raised expectations with an Ultimatum.

Surely we can have at least the same expectations with a SB caliber HC?

Shane612

Reaction score
Why did the great Bill Parcells choose to coach the cowboys?
When asked, he mentioned the storied history of THE DALLAS COWBOYS. Of course when said this, he was thinking about Tom Landry teams, and Jimmy Johnson teams.

Now after about 25 years.....who knows?

aria

Reaction score
Watch a lot of GB games did you? Werent impressed with a SB and making the playoffs 9 out of 13 years? 3 championship games?

Yah...…….horrible resume. Did you watch the two games that they sent our Cowboys home crying in the playoffs? One of them Rogers was limping around on one leg.

In both games Garrett got horribly out coached. If you recall, Dallas was the obvious better team in both games. One game was in Dallas.

Garrett made the same horrible game management gaff in both games. Both at the end of the first half and the 2nd half. SAME MISTAKE as he did the first game.

Gave the ball back to Rogers with too much time left on the clock.

Do yourself a favor a read a little bit on McCarthy and also the view point of former players of McCarthy. You will feel much better about it.

First gut reaction is to think he is a has been and his scheme was outdated and got fired. Another gut reaction is to assume that Rogers carried him. Although you cant argue how good he is, most of those team around Rogers were not very good. McCarthy's teams routinely outperformed their talent. And no doubt Rogers was a huge part of that.

FYI...…...McCarthy was not building those teams.
Did I ever complain about Green Bays resume? Try again.

In the 2016 playoff game you reference perhaps you don’t recall that Green Bay was up by 15 points going into the 4th quarter but McCarthy’s conservative play calling/game management let the Cowboys back into it and GB was lucky to escape with a 3 point win. Any other QB would have most likely lost that game. Perhaps you should do some reading yourself or do you not recall the 3rd and 20 play with about 15 seconds left in the game that Rodgers literally came up with himself in the huddle? Remember the incredible pass to Cook, followed by the 56 yard FG by Crosby to win the game? McCarthy didn’t even have anything to do with that play and AR came up with it on his own because he knew they were on the verge of losing.

You also have the typical homer view. You think we were that much more talented in 2016, huh? Is that why we were 5th in overall offense and Green Bay was 8th? What about defense, Green Bay was 11th and Dallas was a lowly 19th but I guess you’ll give me the same excuse of how much more “talent” our roster had :rolleyes: According to some around here we should have been in the Super Bowl just about every year for the past 20 years and every other team’s roster is inferior to ours.

NotForLong

Reaction score
They guy was so desperate for a job and Dallas is a better choice. so it is about ego and money.
A true pessimist, He may have been the top candidate available with NFL coaching experience. Teams were lining up. Browns, Giants Cowboys. This label of desperate is a fallacy.

"So its about his ego" because he accepted the best opportunity of the many offers being thrown at him. Wow. If his Ego was so Big, why not take the worse situation and prove your greatness by making that team successful.

If truth be told Cleveland and its offense may have been a better fit and winning a Super Bowl in Cleveland would make him just as much a legend

NotForLong

Reaction score

In the 2016 playoff game you reference perhaps you don’t recall that Green Bay was up by 15 points going into the 4th quarter but McCarthy’s conservative play calling/game management let the Cowboys back into it and GB was lucky to escape with a 3 point win. Any other QB would have most likely lost that game. Perhaps you should do some reading yourself or do you not recall the 3rd and 20 play with about 15 seconds left in the game that Rodgers literally came up with himself in the huddle? Remember the incredible pass to Cook, followed by the 56 yard FG by Crosby to win the game? McCarthy didn’t even have anything to do with that play and AR came up with it on his own because he knew they were on the verge of losing.

You also have the typical homer view. You think we were that much more talented in 2016, huh? Is that why we were 5th in overall offense and Green Bay was 8th? What about defense, Green Bay was 11th and Dallas was a lowly 19th but I guess you’ll give me the same excuse of how much more “talent” our roster had :rolleyes: According to some around here we should have been in the Super Bowl just about every year for the past 20 years and every other team’s roster is inferior to ours.
Greenbay's secondary was decimated. They were having open auditions. Kinda hard for a coach to stop a comeback with the talent they had in that secondary.

If truth be told we should have run up the score. But Mike was able to fool the rookie QB early which led to the early deficit. The health of that secondary was the reason many claim, even to this very day, that Romo should have started that day. And if he did he would have feasted in that situation.

I wonder, what would Mike have done? Start the rookie. Or go with one of the top QB minds in the business. . . . hmmmmm

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Everyone knew of the other interviews. Any idea why he wasn’t offered a job? I’m suspect .

And I’m going to continue to put pressure on Mike cause this was a hire to win now not 3-5 years from now.

We made a coaching change because we believed our coaching was holding us back. A team touted by Jerry and Stephen as talented as we’ve had since the 90’s. And the fans and media took that Hype an raised expectations with an Ultimatum.

Glad to hear you have finally come to a place where you think that a HC should do his job properly or be fired.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You outright complained about McCarthys history with the packers. Which was exemplary.

LOL...….and to call me a homer is laughable.

Im definitely not one of those clowns that thinks we are going to the SB every year.

Dallas defense has rarely been great. Not hard to outperform our defense.

Do you remember the last game when Rogers was limping around on one leg? You must have forgotten that one.

Seems rather silly to complain about a coach that was up by 15 in the 4th quarter and then won the game.

Took Garrett 3 quarters to abandon his pathetic game plan get aggressive.

To my point, other than Rogers, they didn't have much. Run game was not so good and running out the clock and the game was difficult for that team.

leeblair

Reaction score
$$$$$$$$,
And prestige.
And, Cowboys-Packers history.
The real question is- why wouldn't he?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we take Jerry at his word, he had no interest in college coaches. Rivera was gone. He interviewed Lewis and McCarthy. I would have expected him to interview McDaniels, but he’s not a proven HC, and they say McCarthy blew everyone away. Maybe those days with Garrett in meetings made McCarthy shine even brighter.
Right

This was a safe hire for Jerry to silence his critics for now much like when he hired Bill.

If it doesn’t bring us the success we’d hope for expect the next HC to be another Puppet like Moore or maybe a Jason Witten.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
History has illustrated experienced HC more desperate out of work, retired, etc are attractive to Jerry because they’re willing not to ask for as much control.

That said, I’m excited about bringing a proven SB HC aboard. No more excuses for this highly touted talented roster.

I expect championship appearances and Super Bowls.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score

Put pressure on Mike, but you never put pressure on you’re son Jason Garrett.

aria

Reaction score
You outright complained about McCarthys history with the packers. Which was exemplary.

LOL...….and to call me a homer is laughable.

Im definitely not one of those clowns that thinks we are going to the SB every year.

Dallas defense has rarely been great. Not hard to outperform our defense.

Do you remember the last game when Rogers was limping around on one leg? You must have forgotten that one.

Seems rather silly to complain about a coach that was up by 15 in the 4th quarter and then won the game.

Took Garrett 3 quarters to abandon his pathetic game plan get aggressive.

To my point, other than Rogers, they didn't have much. Run game was not so good and running out the clock and the game was difficult for that team.
I said I think Rodgers and Favre carried him, if you call that complaining about his history than so be it.

Not hard to outperform our defense? Yet you said “Dallas was the obvious better team in both games”. So which is it, contradict yourself much?

It’s not silly at all to complain about a coach almost giving up that big of a lead in a playoff game. Had that been Garrett all hell would break loose. If you’re ok with a coach who starts playing conservatively in playoff games, and almost loses, because his team has a 2+ TD lead than McCarthy sounds perfect for you!

I disagree that it took 3 quarters for Garrett to get aggressive, I think McCarthy played the entire second half conservatively which is what allowed us back in the game.

I don’t know why you continue to bring up Rodgers hobbling around, of course I remember that. Rodgers on one leg was almost as good as Dak on two, plain and simple.

“Other than Rodgers they didn’t have much”? So I guess GB was 7th overall in passing and the Cowboys were 23rd because AR was passing and catching the ball to himself? GB was also 6th in receiving and the Cowboys were 23rd. Not to mention you already said the Cowboys were the better team and then back tracked on that when I pointed out the difference in the defensive stats.

It sure doesn’t seem like Dallas was clearly the better team, they were in the top 3 rushing and barely above GB in total offense. In almost every other category on both sides of the ball they were inferior to GB. And please don’t even try to say the Cowboys had a superior roster. Nelson was 5th in the league in receiving, we didn’t even have a receiver in the top 20. Rodgers was 4th in passing, Dak was 23rd. Dallas had a great O line and the Ewok, that’s about it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I said I think Rodgers and Favre carried him, if you call that complaining about his history than so be it.

Not hard to outperform our defense? Yet you said “Dallas was the obvious better team in both games”. So which is it, contradict yourself much?

It’s not silly at all to complain about a coach almost giving up that big of a lead in a playoff game. Had that been Garrett all hell would break loose. If you’re ok with a coach who starts playing conservatively in playoff games, and almost loses, because his team has a 2+ TD lead than McCarthy sounds perfect for you!

I disagree that it took 3 quarters for Garrett to get aggressive, I think McCarthy played the entire second half conservatively which is what allowed us back in the game.

I don’t know why you continue to bring up Rodgers hobbling around, of course I remember that. Rodgers on one leg was almost as good as Dak on two, plain and simple.

“Other than Rodgers they didn’t have much”? So I guess GB was 7th overall in passing and the Cowboys were 23rd because AR was passing and catching the ball to himself? GB was also 6th in receiving and the Cowboys were 23rd. Not to mention you already said the Cowboys were the better team and then back tracked on that when I pointed out the difference in the defensive stats.

It sure doesn’t seem like Dallas was clearly the better team, they were in the top 3 rushing and barely above GB in total offense. In almost every other category on both sides of the ball they were inferior to GB. And please don’t even try to say the Cowboys had a superior roster. Nelson was 5th in the league in receiving, we didn’t even have a receiver in the top 20. Rodgers was 4th in passing, Dak was 23rd. Dallas had a great O line and the Ewok, that’s about it.

You clearly complained about McCarthys and his time with GB. Which was way off base. And whether the Dallas was better or the teams were closely matched, Garrett got out coached and McCarthy beat Dallas both times when it counted most. Including the game where Rogers was limping on one leg and they still beat us.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
4) And the most important one is that Jerry has given MM full reign over on the field operations including getting rid of or adding players of his choice, hiring or firing of coaches without input, deciding who starts and who doesn't, etc.
Where did you hear this? Awesome if true.