Why Wouldn't You Start DiNucci?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The guy just happens to be on the roster right now due to being a recent draft pick. The odds are he'll be washed out the league in less than a year. Let's not kid ourselves.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give the kid a chance to learn and grow and get some much needed experience. At this point in the season and with your record at 2-6 why not see what DiNucci can do, actually he should start until Dalton is able to come back. Put it this way I've see a lot worse at quarterback for the Cowboys in their first start than DiNucci i.e. Quincy Carter who threw for all of 34 yards in his first start in the NFL against Tampa Bay. I would also keep Terence Steele at right tackle (yes I know he bad) and see what he can do for the rest of the season no reason to go fishing at this point as start moving Zack Martin to right tackle plus Steele is learning and gaining a ton of experience out there, now if the Cowboys were decent and still in the hunt then yes I would have benched Steele weeks ago but since it's a lost cause keep his but out there for the remainder of the season.
Parcell's belief was that if you force a QB in before he is ready you are likely to do more harm to him than good. That's why he waited on Romo.

And given how bad things went last week, who can argue with this? More of that would seem to do nothing but destroy DiNucci's confidence.

The other thing is, even if the team doesn't win you want others to develop, and some level of competence at QB is needed for others to have an opportunity to be involved and gain experience.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
for the same reason Parcells kept Romo on the bench for 3 years. saw something in him, didn't want to throw him out there until he was ready.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
giphy.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You must be very young. Because I feel like I've seen plenty of worse first starts by QBs with stars on their helmet. Especially after Troy was lost in 2000.

DiNucci had a bad game, sure. A passer rating of 64.6. A completion percentage of only 52.5%. 0 touchdown passes (but, to his credit, 0 interceptions either). 2 turnovers. Only 180 passing yards (plus 22 more yards rushing). 3 scoring drives. Definitely bad.

But the worst?

Anthony Wright's first start in 2000 was worse.

In 2001, we had a couple of dreadful first performanes. Quincy Carter and Clint Stoerner were both much worse passers in their debuts. Both had completion percentages in the 40's. Neither threw any touchdowns, but they threw interceptions and each lost a fumble. Passer ratings of 14 and 40. Neither could even crack 100 yards passing on the day.

In 2004, Drew Henson made his first start and he was a nightmare. Got himself benched during the game. Completed only 33% of his passes. Averaged 2.95 yards per passing attempt. 0 touchdown passes, 1 interception. Passer rating of 7.6. To be fair, it's a small sample size because he didn't play the entire game. Maybe he'd have had a great 2nd half and turned it around. (And I managed to keep a straight face while I said that last part.)

true....Quincy carter was worse

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
We franchised our expected started QB and signed a QB in FA that was considered one of the best on the market (as far as back-ups go). You can't carry 10 QB's on the team with starting experience who are proven winners in the NFL and you can't spend a high-pick on one every year in today's NFL. Most teams don't expect to be starting a 3rd QB and if you are, they don't expect to win.

I agree with most of this. I was encouraged by the signing of Dalton (a credible backup), and the decision to keep 3 QBs on the roster. I do maintain though, that Dallas has underinvested in the position. I'm not asking for a "high pick every year"- but when was the last time Dallas did this? 1989? The total amount of draft capital devoted to the most important position on the team is a late 4th rounder, and a 7th. Very little. Instead, we have a first round RB and 2 first round WR.

A 7th round QB has an exceptionally low probability of developing. Why not select a developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th round, one that statistically has a far higher chance of developing into a potential starter?

Dallas got lucky with Dak and Romo. They are both rare exceptions. Historically, the probability of a QB drafted after the 3rd round becoming a pro-bowl player is very very low.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Give the kid a chance to learn and grow and get some much needed experience. At this point in the season and with your record at 2-6 why not see what DiNucci can do, actually he should start until Dalton is able to come back. Put it this way I've see a lot worse at quarterback for the Cowboys in their first start than DiNucci i.e. Quincy Carter who threw for all of 34 yards in his first start in the NFL against Tampa Bay. I would also keep Terence Steele at right tackle (yes I know he bad) and see what he can do for the rest of the season no reason to go fishing at this point as start moving Zack Martin to right tackle plus Steele is learning and gaining a ton of experience out there, now if the Cowboys were decent and still in the hunt then yes I would have benched Steele weeks ago but since it's a lost cause keep his but out there for the remainder of the season.

He needs practice.
Lots of practice.

Flamma

Reaction score

I agree with you, I just think this case is a bit different. Ben isn't ready and we don't want to ruin him. Post #2 said it all. It would be akin to putting an amateur boxer against a pro. When he does poorly you keep putting him against pros. Ben needs more development before going into the fire again. Give him a chance.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DiNucci isn't starting here anytime soon.
What they saw was that he can;t be a #2 next year so they can find a #2 right now in Gilbert or Rush and reserve the 3rd slot for DiNucci next year.

Maybe they'll go back to DiNucci in a few weeks as part of the all out tanking plan but they aren't doing it this early.
Can't preach to other players they must play hard while rolling out a QB playing at that level.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because this kid is not NFL material. You can see right away if he has a future and to me he doesn't. I know it is only 1 game but when you have a future qb when he gets a chance he shows something.
It wasn't much of a chance. The O-line barely even got in the way of the defense. Also, it was pretty windy out there, which made any longer passes very difficult. I'd like to see him get another shot...though not necessarily against the Steelers.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not only do you risk injury to this kid if you keep throwing him out there but you risk losing what's left of your veterans if you run a QB out there who simply cannot play at this level. You HAVE to try to see if someone else can give you a better chance of succeeding or at least not failing as miserably. Everybody on the team knows they're up against it and probably won't win another game.. but continuing to play a QB who is afraid to throw the ball more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage is affront to every man on the roster.

CWR

Reaction score
Do we have hope for Nooch? He has one strange throwing motion and he didn't display much accuracy when he did throw the ball forward. Its not fair to judge him on that performance, but do we see potential?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
put super stat prescott in with an ankle brace, let's see what super stats can do behind this line.