Why you don't need to tank

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What games are the supposed to win? They MIGHT beat san fran but new york and philly are better
As I have said before, the Cowboys need to win the games they are supposed to win.
Unless you can do that, it doesn't matter who they pick.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Not miserable at all. Everyone has their own personal way of being a fan. Not evaluating and assessing is your way, and I respect that.
I agree. I am kind of enjoying watching teams like San Diego winning. I won’t enjoy watching us lose to SF, but I will be hoping it happens.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
All of that is true, however the fact remains. Closer you pick toward the front, the more good players will be available. That is the fact that cannot be refuted.

Good players being selected elsewhere does not negate this fact.
Why does this need to be repeated over and over again. Even fanatics should understand this fact.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
And that does not negate the FACT..that if you draft well...you can find good players anywhere.

Or that you can EASILY screw up those high picks.

And that is surely worth losing for. o_O
Yes. Losing games at the end of the season when you know your team has almost no chance to win a Super Bowl.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Why does this need to be repeated over and over again. Even fanatics should understand this fact.

I understand.. I just don't care. This team exists for my entertainment.. Period. I am more entertained by my team winning than I am by my team losing. I don't give a rat's arse about next year's draft position. It simply matters not to me. I want my team to win.. Then I want them to pick good players in the draft no matter where they pick and then I want them to coach 'em up. If they do a good job of coaching they will get good play from the good players they draft and I will be entertained. The notion that draft position determines anything except the size of the kid's paycheck for his first 5 years is nonsense. If I look at the #1 overall picks over the last 20 years I can all but guarantee you NONE of them.. NOT ONE has been the best player in the league. I dare any of you to prove me wrong.. The closest would be Cam Newton who had one MVP season then fell off a cliff. Even in his MVP season no one thought he was the best player in the game.. But he did have a couple of amazing seasons. The last 1-1 to be considered the actual best player in the game was Manning.. Peyton not Eli.. and even he sorta shared that distinction with Favre and then Brady. A 2nd rounder and 6th rounder. And he wasn't drafted in the last 20 years anyway. The rest were pretty much just guys who got paid a lot coming out of college. Easily a third of them are outright busts.. I get more than a little tired of people acting as if the draft is some sort of exact science. So many of these guys never turn into ANYTHING it aint even funny. The best QB of this generation was a 6th round pick. The current best running back was a 2nd rounder. It's a tossup between Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers for the title of current best QB in the game.. Mahomes is the only one who was drafted in the top 10.. and even he had two or three other QBs drafted before him. Yall need to accept it.. it's a crapshoot.. So I'd rather my team win the damn games and do their homework to find the best football players.. not salivate over the chance to draft the guys who light it up at the combine..

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I understand.. I just don't care. This team exists for my entertainment.. Period. I am more entertained by my team winning than I am by my team losing. I don't give a rat's arse about next year's draft position. It simply matters not to me. I want my team to win.. Then I want them to pick good players in the draft no matter where they pick and then I want them to coach 'em up. If they do a good job of coaching they will get good play from the good players they draft and I will be entertained. The notion that draft position determines anything except the size of the kid's paycheck for his first 5 years is nonsense. If I look at the #1 overall picks over the last 20 years I can all but guarantee you NONE of them.. NOT ONE has been the best player in the league. I dare any of you to prove me wrong.. The closest would be Cam Newton who had one MVP season then fell off a cliff. Even in his MVP season no one thought he was the best player in the game.. But he did have a couple of amazing seasons. The last 1-1 to be considered the actual best player in the game was Manning.. Peyton not Eli.. and even he sorta shared that distinction with Favre and then Brady. A 2nd rounder and 6th rounder. And he wasn't drafted in the last 20 years anyway. The rest were pretty much just guys who got paid a lot coming out of college. Easily a third of them are outright busts.. I get more than a little tired of people acting as if the draft is some sort of exact science. So many of these guys never turn into ANYTHING it aint even funny. The best QB of this generation was a 6th round pick. The current best running back was a 2nd rounder. It's a tossup between Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers for the title of current best QB in the game.. Mahomes is the only one who was drafted in the top 10.. and even he had two or three other QBs drafted before him. Yall need to accept it.. it's a crapshoot.. So I'd rather my team win the damn games and do their homework to find the best football players.. not salivate over the chance to draft the guys who light it up at the combine..

paine-nfldraftefficientmarket-01.png

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't know very many in my circle who hopes their team loses to get a earlier pick. And can promise you players and coaches with their jobs on the line aren't looking that far ahead. As crazy and impossible as it may seem, the division is still up for grabs and playing experience is very valuable. Even if we're one and done. Why would you watch your favorite team play and hope they lose? Just seems so foreign.

Proof

Reaction score
People kill me coming up with all these scenarios as to why the Cowboys need to play to lose so they can get a better draft pick.. If you watched the special on the top 60 players in franchise history ask yourself how many of them were top 10 picks?

Emmitt? - Nope 17th
Roger? - Not even a first rounder
Witten? - second rounder
Zack Martin - Nope 16th
Dez Bryant - Nope 24th
Larry Allen - Nope - second round
Mark Tuinei - Undrafted
Nate Newton - Undrafted
Erik Williams? - Nope 3rd round
Bob Hayes - Nope 7th round
Drew Pearson - Nope undrafted
Harvey Martin - Nope 3rd round
Demarcus Ware - 11th close..
Michael Irvin? - 11th .
Bob Lilly? - 13th
Romo? - Undrafted
Flozell? - Second rounder.

Yeah.. that list is getting long .. so let's go to the shorter list..

Of the all time 60 greatest Cowboys here are your top 10 picks:

Troy Aikman 1-1
Too-Tall Jones - 1-1
Tony Dorsett - 2nd overall
Randy White - 2nd overall
Zeke - 4th overall
Tyron Smith - 9th overall
Deion - 5 th overall (by the Falcons)

Unless I have missed someone that is the entire list of top 10 overall picks who have turned into great players for the Cowboys. 7 out of 60. In fact there are almost as many undrafted guys on the list as top 10 picks. Point being, there is plenty of talent to be had throughout the draft. You simply need good scouting to find them and good coaching to develop them. I think the Cowboys scouting department has done a pretty good job finding good players.. I'm not sure I can say the same about our ability to coach and develop them over the past two decades. Here's hoping this coaching staff gets better at it. If they don't then it really doesn't matter where or who we draft, this team is going to suck. And we will continue to watch guys go elsewhere and win Super Bowls.. and look good doing it.

Solid post, but would need to correlate it to how many times they picked in the top ten to really make a conclusion.

kskboys

Reaction score
All of this rant, and it's still better to pick more toward the top. The "best player in the NFL" argument is dammmm entertaining, though, gotta say!!!!!!!!!

I am curious, though. What does being the #1 pick(as opposed to a top 5 pick, say) have to do w/ this? I'm not getting your point on that one.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know very many in my circle who hopes their team loses to get a earlier pick. And can promise you players and coaches with their jobs on the line aren't looking that far ahead. As crazy and impossible as it may seem, the division is still up for grabs and playing experience is very valuable. Even if we're one and done. Why would you watch your favorite team play and hope they lose? Just seems so foreign.
In hopes to eventually win a super bowl. That generally takes a few dominant players. Top of the draft is a good place to find them.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
In hopes to eventually win a super bowl. That generally takes a few dominant players. Top of the draft is a good place to find them.
I'm not trying to change your mind from hoping we lose.

Adreme

Reaction score
People keep failing to understand statistics when they say you dont HAVE to tank. Just because its possible to do something one way does not make that the optimal choice. Think of it like a game of blackjack: just because something works does not make it correct. On average the best players are at the top and there is a massive drop off in average talent as you go down.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How many has Jerry drafted since Jimmy left? He's had a quarter of a century.

Cowboys pick 11th, Cowboys pick 4th...some of you have chosen a comfortable delusion. The Cowboys' problem is NOT draft position.
I'll have to dig a little and see how other teams have done, but in general and after Johnson our "GM" has blown pick after pick on jags, reaching for jags or gambling on players that slipped from injuries or drug addictions.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
People kill me coming up with all these scenarios as to why the Cowboys need to play to lose so they can get a better draft pick.. If you watched the special on the top 60 players in franchise history ask yourself how many of them were top 10 picks?

Emmitt? - Nope 17th
Roger? - Not even a first rounder
Witten? - second rounder
Zack Martin - Nope 16th
Dez Bryant - Nope 24th
Larry Allen - Nope - second round
Mark Tuinei - Undrafted
Nate Newton - Undrafted
Erik Williams? - Nope 3rd round
Bob Hayes - Nope 7th round
Drew Pearson - Nope undrafted
Harvey Martin - Nope 3rd round
Demarcus Ware - 11th close..
Michael Irvin? - 11th .
Bob Lilly? - 13th
Romo? - Undrafted
Flozell? - Second rounder.

Yeah.. that list is getting long .. so let's go to the shorter list..

Of the all time 60 greatest Cowboys here are your top 10 picks:

Troy Aikman 1-1
Too-Tall Jones - 1-1
Tony Dorsett - 2nd overall
Randy White - 2nd overall
Zeke - 4th overall
Tyron Smith - 9th overall
Deion - 5 th overall (by the Falcons)

Unless I have missed someone that is the entire list of top 10 overall picks who have turned into great players for the Cowboys. 7 out of 60. In fact there are almost as many undrafted guys on the list as top 10 picks. Point being, there is plenty of talent to be had throughout the draft. You simply need good scouting to find them and good coaching to develop them. I think the Cowboys scouting department has done a pretty good job finding good players.. I'm not sure I can say the same about our ability to coach and develop them over the past two decades. Here's hoping this coaching staff gets better at it. If they don't then it really doesn't matter where or who we draft, this team is going to suck. And we will continue to watch guys go elsewhere and win Super Bowls.. and look good doing it.
Belichick, Parcells, know how to coach their players. A sharp contrast to how the Cowboys coach.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
All of that is true, however the fact remains. Closer you pick toward the front, the more good players will be available. That is the fact that cannot be refuted.
Good players being selected elsewhere does not negate this fact.

It's a simple fact and it's not rocket science.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There will be more cap casualties this year than other seasons and there will be solid players available for less than would have been expected in previous seasons. News Flash, I never once posted how the Cowboys would be able to take advantage of this off season. I simply posted that it will be an interesting off-season because there will be solid players for less than expected. It's silly that you got so bent out of shape over a general comment. o_O

It is true you didn't say those exact words but it was clear what team you were hinting at to go after those mid tier vets.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
All of this rant, and it's still better to pick more toward the top. The "best player in the NFL" argument is dammmm entertaining, though, gotta say!!!!!!!!!

I am curious, though. What does being the #1 pick(as opposed to a top 5 pick, say) have to do w/ this? I'm not getting your point on that one.

It's really simple .. Too many people are going on as though higher draft pick automatically = better player. So by that logic the #1 overall pick should win at least one MVP in his career and spend some portion of it being the best player in the game. Yet it almost never happens. Not enough is being made of coaching and system and environment in which a guy lands. Put Mahomes with Garrett and he's not doing anywhere near what he is now. Put Dak with Andy Reid and he might be putting up MVP numbers.. and might have himself a ring. And before anybody scoffs at that notion remember Andy Reid got Donovan McNabb to the Super Bowl.. nuff said. We should be WAAAY more focused on the system and culture McCarthy puts into place than where he gets to draft next year. And I would strongly contend that "tanking" would do far more damage to that culture than pretty much anything .. A team meeting: "Hey guys, I need you to play like crap, put bad tape out there on yourselves, possibly get yourselves drummed out of the league, just so we can be better positioned to draft your replacements! So let's get out there and SUCK!!!" Good luck getting the team to listen to a damn thing you say after that.