News: Wide agreement Cowboys made a $40M mistake by not extending Dak Prescott

cern

Reaction score
Cam has looked good. Haskins improving as game progresses. Eagles o-line getting manhandled. Wentz taking a whupping. Interesting.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Conversations with general managers, agents and team contract negotiators revealed a consensus about both the magnitude of the Cowboys' mistake with this negotiation -- several sources independently suggested it will cost owner Jerry Jones roughly $40M -- and general agreement about how it will impact the team in years to come.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...cott-plus-why-the-deal-really-fell-apart/amp/

I do think it was gross negligence for the Cowboys not to get this deal done while he was on his rookie deal. The front office over played its hand this time and it will cost them more in the long run.
Could’ve had him for Derek Carr money 2 seasons ago.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Easy to criticize after the fact, but many of these same media forces also argued against 35 million a season that he wasn't worth it.

I don't know exactly where the final contract offer ended up and what the final sticking point was, but Dak is playing the season on a prove it deal. If he balls out it's great for the franchise, if not they don't have to worry about taking on a crippling contract. If there was any doubt about Dak as a franchise QB the cost to get out would be much greater than 40 million proposed. In reality, a 4 year contract extension will likely cost 20 million more if he balls out.
*Many were saying this long ago.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Conversations with general managers, agents and team contract negotiators revealed a consensus about both the magnitude of the Cowboys' mistake with this negotiation -- several sources independently suggested it will cost owner Jerry Jones roughly $40M -- and general agreement about how it will impact the team in years to come.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...cott-plus-why-the-deal-really-fell-apart/amp/

I do think it was gross negligence for the Cowboys not to get this deal done while he was on his rookie deal. The front office over played its hand this time and it will cost them more in the long run.
NO
Not "wide agreement"

Jeez. Just let it go.

We will eventually find out what they did or did not lose.
One thing we DO know for is that they saved at least about 30 million last year and another 5-6 million this year.
Once the deal comes thru, we can add it up and figure out how it falls.

plasticman

Reaction score
We wouldn't even be having this conversation if the defense had been capable of holding Aaron Rodgers for 35 seconds in the playoffs. that was the opportunity and Dak was on fire. I'm not even going to go into his accomplishments, I'm tired of writing that thesis long explanation.

You want to blame Dak for not getting to the Super Bowl? He brought that team back from an 18 point defect that game. Was he supposed to go out there in the last 35 seconds of regulation and play freakin' cornerback? Dak didn't lose that game.

And then when everybody else in that draft class is getting suspended when we needed them the most or recovering from an injury, Dak is supposed to go out there and make up the difference? And then they get paid before him? In fact, they get paid and Dak doesn't? What is wrong with this picture?

Not to mention, these guys were already getting paid more than Dak who was a 4th round choice compared to Zeke, Jaylon, and T-Law who were one, two and three.

And the crazy thing is, and you have to believe this is true, it's not even about the money in Dak's mind. It's the total and blatant disrespect for what he has accomplished and how he has behaved on and off the field.

But the most mind boggling thing of all is if Tony Romo had remained healthy for a year or two then we would have been perfectly happy if Dak had just made the team and turned into a reliable backup. That was the expectation. Now that he's done so much more he's a bum when he doesn't do it all the time or, for a million dollars a year, carry this team on his back and win a Super Bowl. It's all on him and he's been such a disappointment to a lot of you.

It's the disrespect and this isn't the first time the Jones's has alienated the one guy that is doing all the right things and rewarding the guy we are just waiting to find trouble somewhere.

"When we reach a certain percentage with a contract, blah, blah, blah...."

Well, you know what? When you draft a quarterback in a certain round, you typically get.....

Dak was all about doing things on the field that had never been done before, too bad Stephen didn't think about that.

Do I really have to explain that?, Again, I'm tired of having to regurgitate his resume, I'm not going to do it. What do some of you guys want? You want the Cowboys to trade away three years worth of picks to get the #1 or #2 overall pick? We just finished watching the #2 overall pick in the same year Dak was drafted. Is that what you wanted? When we see the #1 overall pick play tonight, is that what you wanted?

Disrespect.....at this point I can assure you, it's not even about the money, Dak knows he will get paid at some point. But to have Jerry and Stephen play with his contract, his of all people! And to use the media to discredit and attempt to shame him? Then again, what did you expect?

"Emmitt Smith is a luxury, not a necessity"

Emmitt Smith has always been a proud man. What if this quote had been uttered the following season, the very first that utilized the free agency system and salary cap used today?

Jerry has never been a builder, he has always found ways to be a destroyer. Now, Stephen is following in his footsteps.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We wouldn't even be having this conversation if the defense had been capable of holding Aaron Rodgers for 35 seconds in the playoffs. that was the opportunity and Dak was on fire. I'm not even going to go into his accomplishments, I'm tired of writing that thesis long explanation.

You want to blame Dak for not getting to the Super Bowl? He brought that team back from an 18 point defect that game. Was he supposed to go out there in the last 35 seconds of regulation and play freakin' cornerback? Dak didn't lose that game.

And then when everybody else in that draft class is getting suspended when we needed them the most or recovering from an injury, Dak is supposed to go out there and make up the difference? And then they get paid before him? In fact, they get paid and Dak doesn't? What is wrong with this picture?

Not to mention, these guys were already getting paid more than Dak who was a 4th round choice compared to Zeke, Jaylon, and T-Law who were one, two and three.

And the crazy thing is, and you have to believe this is true, it's not even about the money in Dak's mind. It's the total and blatant disrespect for what he has accomplished and how he has behaved on and off the field.

But the most mind boggling thing of all is if Tony Romo had remained healthy for a year or two then we would have been perfectly happy if Dak had just made the team and turned into a reliable backup. That was the expectation. Now that he's done so much more he's a bum when he doesn't do it all the time or, for a million dollars a year, carry this team on his back and win a Super Bowl. It's all on him and he's been such a disappointment to a lot of you.

It's the disrespect and this isn't the first time the Jones's has alienated the one guy that is doing all the right things and rewarding the guy we are just waiting to find trouble somewhere.

"When we reach a certain percentage with a contract, blah, blah, blah...."

Well, you know what? When you draft a quarterback in a certain round, you typically get.....

Dak was all about doing things on the field that had never been done before, too bad Stephen didn't think about that.

Do I really have to explain that?, Again, I'm tired of having to regurgitate his resume, I'm not going to do it. What do some of you guys want? You want the Cowboys to trade away three years worth of picks to get the #1 or #2 overall pick? We just finished watching the #2 overall pick in the same year Dak was drafted. Is that what you wanted? When we see the #1 overall pick play tonight, is that what you wanted?

Disrespect.....at this point I can assure you, it's not even about the money, Dak knows he will get paid at some point. But to have Jerry and Stephen play with his contract, his of all people! And to use the media to discredit and attempt to shame him? Then again, what did you expect?

"Emmitt Smith is a luxury, not a necessity"

Emmitt Smith has always been a proud man. What if this quote had been uttered the following season, the very first that utilized the free agency system and salary cap used today?

Jerry has never been a builder, he has always found ways to be a destroyer. Now, Stephen is following in his footsteps.

That was a HUGE "dony't ever say anything bad about Dak" rant.

You think Dak has NO responsibility for ANY loses? ASSine

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Or they saved 100 million plus if Dak proves to be average again this season

Or saved themselves by figuring out in the next year that Dalton or Dinucci at a cheaper cap hit will be a much better deal.

Or saved themselves from getting screwed by signing Dak to a huge contract the year before the cap dropped and the market for QBs dropped in tandem, or more. If the cap drops, now teams will be *doubly* cash strapped for new contracts next year, already locked into a lot of contracts that assumed the cap would increase forever.

The big advantage next year is to be a contrarian to the cap expectations of the league and be *right*. Sounds like they're assuming the cap goes up forever. Lots of reasons that might not hapen.

kskboys

Reaction score
How much is Cam making cause he is dominating right now
Cam Newton looks mighty good for what he cost the patriots . A 30+ mil saving if the cowboys had signed him , plus he lead his team to a super bowl .

Let’s see what dak can do after the last excuse is gone ( jason Garrett ) and the offense is buzzing with talent .
You guys are way too easily impressed. 21 points won't win all that many games in today's NFL. And that's against a sucky MIA Defense. 30th last season.

aria

Reaction score
Cam Newton looks mighty good for what he cost the patriots . A 30+ mil saving if the cowboys had signed him , plus he lead his team to a super bowl .

Let’s see what dak can do after the last excuse is gone ( jason Garrett ) and the offense is buzzing with talent .
Has any QB NOT looked good under BB in the worst division in the league? Garoppolo looked mighty good.

GenoT

Reaction score
No doubt this is now something of a “prove it“ season for Dak. But according to most knowledgeable observers, the contract issue wasn’t the $ amounts.

Best guesses were DP woulda took $34-$35mil per / $105-$110mil guaranteed. The sticking point was the number of years. Dak wanted a 4yr deal and Jerry wouldn’t budge off 5yrs.

Jerry got what he wanted and now he’s gotta live with it.

basel90

Reaction score
You guys are way too easily impressed. 21 points won't win all that many games in today's NFL. And that's against a sucky MIA Defense. 30th last season.
You just watch dak today and let’s see how much of a difference he is . I bet you cam can muster as much or more yards and points than dak with that cowboys offense . Some people just believe it is all dak and if we don’t over pay him ( and bankrupt our cap ) we cannot win . which is an illusion .

basel90

Reaction score
Has any QB NOT looked good under BB in the worst division in the league? Garoppolo looked mighty good.
Yes but Cam will also look fabulous behind the cowboys OL /WR / RB . Probably better results too , for 30+ million less .

plasticman

Reaction score
That was a HUGE "dony't ever say anything bad about Dak" rant.

You think Dak has NO responsibility for ANY loses? ASSine
I get so tired of the personal insults because someone who disagrees can't form a coherent opinion based on facts. It's always the same. First comes the unbalanced extreme...."NO responsibility for ANY loses"....a complete misinterpretation of what I said.....and then a personal insult based on an assumption that the misinterpretation was somehow valid.

Look, when you resort to personal insults everyone else knows it's because you got nothing but an opinion based on nothing. You can do better than that. If you have a valid point, a logical one based on facts, then I would have no choice but to accept that. I am not stubborn in my opinions, a solid well thought argument can persuade me. Try it sometime. It works so much better then insults.