News: Wide agreement Cowboys made a $40M mistake by not extending Dak Prescott

Flamma

Reaction score
Conversations with general managers, agents and team contract negotiators revealed a consensus about both the magnitude of the Cowboys' mistake with this negotiation -- several sources independently suggested it will cost owner Jerry Jones roughly $40M -- and general agreement about how it will impact the team in years to come.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...cott-plus-why-the-deal-really-fell-apart/amp/

I do think it was gross negligence for the Cowboys not to get this deal done while he was on his rookie deal. The front office over played its hand this time and it will cost them more in the long run.

If the Cowboys go 13-3 and largely due to Dak, sure. But if they go 8-8 or 9-7 then they clearly have more problems than Dak Prescott. Why would you then pay him 40 mil a year? Any average QB can go 8-8.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Tonight didn't prove the thread title put your team on your back and win these games and I'll say they should pay him but tonight didn't show he's worth squat

I see a lot of blow back against Dak for last night's performance which doesn't quite make sense to me. They say an elite QB has to carry the team. However, none of them actually acknowledge that he he did exactly that by driving the team 72 yards in two minutes including a 47 yard pass perfectly placed that was negated by a phantom pass interference call that over 90% of the media and fans agreed shouldn't have been called. If that piss poor call was never made, we would be at worst case kicking a FG to go into overtime, and best case having 3 shots to win the game from the Rams 19.

I could at least understand the angst of the Dak disbelievers had he missed open receivers to not get into FG range. That would at least be a legitimate argument. But he made the play he was supposed to make and the ref stole it away from him (not to mention coaching not doing the team any favors by not taking the FG to tie the game and possibly making the final drive a FG to win instead of a TD)

Flamma

Reaction score
I see a lot of blow back against Dak for last night's performance which doesn't quite make sense to me. They say an elite QB has to carry the team. However, none of them actually acknowledge that he he did exactly that by driving the team 72 yards in two minutes including a 47 yard pass perfectly placed that was negated by a phantom pass interference call that over 90% of the media and fans agreed shouldn't have been called. If that piss poor call was never made, we would be at worst case kicking a FG to go into overtime, and best case having 3 shots to win the game from the Rams 19.

I could at least understand the angst of the Dak disbelievers had he missed open receivers to not get into FG range. That would at least be a legitimate argument. But he made the play he was supposed to make and the ref stole it away from him (not to mention coaching not doing the team any favors by not taking the FG to tie the game and possibly making the final drive a FG to win instead of a TD)

No one can accuse me of being a Dak supporter, but I didn't see him screw anything up last night. The Cowboys hardly had the ball in the first half. And in the 2nd half Dak hardly saw a clean pocket. Which got worse as the game went on. The Rams DLine abused our offensive line. Now Dak knows how Watson feels. At least Dak was getting the ball out and not taking 9 sacks. No picks, I can't complain about him. The team just did not look game ready.

InTheZone

Reaction score

He drove 72 yards? They wasted a minute gaining what 15 yards?

basel90

Reaction score
That is all I am trying to state, that this is only the first game. Could Dak have made some better throws or decisions? Sure! But he passed much more effectively than ineffectively, some passes that went right through the hands of Dalton Shultz that were drive extenders, for example. That was a critical first down pass to Cooper that he didn't hold on to when he got tackled by Jalen Ramsey. Goff looked pretty good but he only helped his team score 20 points, that is just 3 more than Dak in this particular game. If Zurlein had made that 53 yarder indoor kick we would be at 20-20. If McCarthy had opted to kick the field goal around the red zone. it would be 23-20 Cowboys without even that potential bomb to Gallup negated by a very questionable offensive pass interference call by the ref.

That pass to Gallup down the left side of the field into the red zone could have put us in a winning scoring position within the final minute of the 4th quarter. If that occurred and we scored on the next attempt would we not be stating that Dak is worth every penny of that 40 million? To be fair that would be a bit premature as well based on one game but I hope you get my perspective.
dak played ok , but something in his game is lacking as usual at crucial times or under pressure. He missed many throws and made some erratic ones. Lets see how he progresses. appreciate your observations.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Ah yes, the ol' argument that Dak's camp definitely didn't know about that $40 million number, and Jerry was a sleep at the wheel. Totally just the Cowboys fualt.