Wide Receiver group has a ton of unknowns

rambo2

Reaction score
The issue with this FO is that the GM and Director of Personnel have no idea how to build a team or to evaluate talent. They pay someone a certain amount and then “expect” him to play at that level (eg Cooks). If that doesn’t happen they are lost and start throwing darts
If they had no idea, they wouldn't be winning 12 games a year consistently. What percentage of the league is doing that?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Gallup leaving and Cooks disappointing should leave WR snaps wide open after Lamb.

Brooks. I liked the cut of his jib.

Turpin will play more. Produced well, per touch. And he's the only speed on offense, particularly after Pollard was replaced by the Ewok.

If Lamb goes down the offense will score in the single digits. No run game, no pass game. Ferguson is our offense. I like Ferguson, but he'd have to play like Gronk for our offense to not entirely flatline w/o Lamb.
If Lamb goes down, our offense will go down with him. Most team have three quality receivers, we have 1.5.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of numbers at the wide receiver position, but a ton of unknowns and could look drastically different in 2025:

-Lamb has become a true #1 receiver in this league. Just a matter of when and how much they are going to resign him for.
-Cooks had somewhat of an disappointing 1st season with the Cowboys and won't be back after this season. You can make an argument that MM just doesn't know how to use him right. Dak struggled to get on the same page with him all last season.
-Tolbert is heading into a make or break season. 3rd rd pick who has yet to make an impact after 2 seasons.
-Brooks was drafted as a special teamer last year, but did look good as a receiver in a small sample size, can push for more snaps.
-Ryan Flournoy is an older prospect that plays the x position. With Gallup gone, he will be in competition to land that role.
-Turpin played well in limited snaps and has earned trust with the coaches, but his main role remains as our returner on special teams

What happens if Lamb goes down?

This is another position where adding a veteran makes a ton of sense with so many young prospects at the position. Really believe we are going to see a top three pick used next year to address this area. Huge pivotal year for Jalen Tolbert.
This whole team has a ton of unknowns. Except Dak. We know.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree…Tolbert was a better prospect but at this point we’d be lucky if he turned into Ced.
Hearing someone say he broke out last season with 22 catches 268 yards? That's more like a 5th receiver to me. He is in the same boat as Sam Williams from that draft class, 3rd yr you either produce or we will find our replacement.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they had no idea, they wouldn't be winning 12 games a year consistently. What percentage of the league is doing that?
If winning 12 games a year is an achievement, a bar, how come we can't win playoff games?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
As would I but the players need to play better. I’m all for blaming certain things on the Jerry but the only thing I’ll say about last years team is they couldn’t run the football or stop the run. But specifically Dak needs to play better in those games as well.
It really helps a qb if he has a running game. Defenses can take away a lot of targets when they don't have to worry about it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Compared to his rookie season he made a huge jump, remember though in this offense WR 3 is really 4 and WR 4 is really 5 with Ferguson who may see 1000 yards this season himself
I also remember Terrence Williams being drafted in the third rd and becoming a quality starter day 1. Tolbert couldn't even beat out Gallup who wasn't even an NFL quality receiver post injury.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hearing someone say he broke out last season with 22 catches 268 yards? That's more like a 5th receiver to me. He is in the same boat as Sam Williams from that draft class, 3rd yr you either produce or we will find our replacement.
He was the 5th receiver last year.

1 Lamb
2 Ferguson
3 Cooks
4 Gallup
5 Tolbert

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I also remember Terrence Williams being drafted in the third rd and becoming a quality starter day 1. Tolbert couldn't even beat out Gallup who wasn't even an NFL quality receiver post injury.
Cowboys depth was horrible when Williams was here so he got reps and targets from day one. He really wasn't very good but he had decent speed.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I just wish it wasn't an issue in Buffalo and San Francisco, where it looked like dog crap. A combined 287 yards passing with 1 TD and 4 picks. A little over 140 yards rushing combined. Outscored 73-20. Probably got the top 5 ranking because not everyone plays the Giants and Wash. 4 games.

When matters. Averages don't.

I'd like to be at least competitive against some of these better teams.
This is the issue, they beat up the bad teams and cannot compete against the best teams. Buffalo/49ers/Packers all dominated the Cowboys.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He was the 5th receiver last year.

1 Lamb
2 Ferguson
3 Cooks
4 Gallup
5 Tolbert
If a team uses a day 2 pick on a receiver you are expecting a future starter, Tolbert hasn't shown he is starting material what so ever.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cowboys depth was horrible when Williams was here so he got reps and targets from day one. He really wasn't very good but he had decent speed.
Cowboys depth then might have been even better with Dez, Witten, Cole Beasley.

rambo2

Reaction score
If winning 12 games a year is an achievement, a bar, how come we can't win playoff games?
They won a playoff game the season before last. They lost to the Packers because they were short at linebacker and couldn't stop the run. They blew it. They shouldn't have tagged Pollard and they should have signed Wagner. They made a bad mistake.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They won a playoff game the season before last. They lost to the Packers because they were short at linebacker and couldn't stop the run. They blew it. They shouldn't have tagged Pollard and they should have signed Wagner. They made a bad mistake.
Oh...the Tampa Bay game...against 8-9 losers. Okay....you got me. :facepalm: Sheesh.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tolbert has not broken out…he showed signs of life last year but I agree this year it’s put up or move on.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I remember when Keenan Allen slid that year and I was begging us to take him…sigh.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a fact.. A lot on here thought that they would lose that game. They claimed they would lose to Brady.
Well that's your opinion. That's what you think you saw. It's not a fact.

You're probably talking about a vocal few.

I live in tampa and nobody here thought tampa would win. We knew they sucked. 8-9 proves it.

Yes...it most certainly IS a fact that cowboys won. It's also a FACT Tampa was 8-9 LOSERS.

visionary

Reaction score
They have no idea thats why their team hasnt even won back to back playoff games in almost 30 years

What percentage of league has done that?

I know you are on the Jones payroll but it might surprise you to wake to the fact that the objective of playing in the NFL is to win SBs not win regular season games and crap the bed in the post season