Wide receiver, Turned to cornerback

kskboys

Reaction score
Detroit has sucked for years, as has the Washington team, is the reason about schemes and stragedy or players drafted? Football is about the athletes you bring in, you get good players you win ya get bad players ya lose. All that cover 2, trying to get cute on defense means nothing unless you have the athletes.
Talent is first. Identifying talent is the GM's job. That's where we suffer greatly.

RaZon

Reaction score
You were talking about corners only needing to be fast. I was attempting to explain to you the complex coverages and reads they are required to understand. A fool's errand for sure.

I sold insurance for a living you have any idea what I had to know to get my licenses, we all have to know things at our jobs. Do you honestly believe a cornerback is really that hard to figure out, come on man that is crazy. But....without speed ya can forget it.

RaZon

Reaction score
Talent is first. Identifying talent is the GM's job. That's where we suffer greatly.

Just look at a guys career, how hard is that?

Bet Bo Jackson can play, think Lawrence Taylor will make it.

When ya start looking at small college players is when some skill enters into it, can he play at the NFL level where there are no Baldwin Wallace or Winston Salem.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I sold insurance for a living you have any idea what I had to know to get my licenses, we all have to know things at our jobs. Do you honestly believe a cornerback is really that hard to figure out, come on man that is crazy. But....without speed ya can forget it.
Yes coverages and reads are complicated. They are adjusting at the snap based on what they see in front of them. They have dozens of combinations of coverages based on the splits, the formation, where the inside receiver lines up, are they playing backside man, there's cover 0, cover 2, cover 4, cover 6, cover 8. There's zone blitzes. There's hundreds of routes and route combinations. Finding who is the fastest is track. Football is like a whole different sport.

RaZon

Reaction score
Yes coverages and reads are complicated. They are adjusting at the snap based on what they see in front of them. They have dozens of combinations of coverages based on the splits, the formation, where the inside receiver lines up, are they playing backside man, there's cover 0, cover 2, cover 4, cover 6, cover 8. There's zone blitzes. There's hundreds of routes and route combinations. Finding who is the fastest is track. Football is like a whole different sport.

20 Olympians have played NFL football.

DB's

Darrell Green
Deion Sanders
Rod Woodson
Jim Johnson
Virgil Livers
James Trapp
Terrence Newman
Lawrence Johnson
Lester Hayes
Michael Haynes
Javelin Guidry
Rod Jones
Russell Carter
Terry McDaneil
Speedy Duncan
Champ Bailey
Latin Berry

All track guys.

Dude, just stop, ok? Nothing hard to figure out on a football field if you are a professional and paying attention, ok? Their job is to know that stuff, ok rookie?

RaZon

Reaction score
What does it take to be a cornerback

About 2,790,000 results (0.63 seconds)

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web

The cornerback position requires speed, agility, strength, and the ability to make rapid sharp turns. A cornerback's skill set typically requires proficiency in anticipating the quarterback, backpedaling, executing single and zone coverage, disrupting pass routes, block shedding, and tackling.

First thing mentioned.....speed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a high schooler, was a running back, cornerback, kick returner, actually played on every team, gunner on punts.

People try so hard to try and make football out to be some complex deal, when it really isn;t that is why little kids play it.

All that cover 2 and......who can't figure all that out in like 30 minutes? Now being good at chess takes time.

Take a guy who can run a 4,4 and he can play cornerback.
Teddy Williams. He was on the Cowboys practice squad for a few years.

He was 6-2 and one of the fastest players. He had 100 meter times that were faster than Bob Hayes.

He tried to play CB but was never good enough to get a permanent spot on the Cowboys 53 man roster.

Playing in the NFL is not remotely similar to playing in High School.

RaZon

Reaction score
Teddy Williams. He was on the Cowboys practice squad for a few years.

He was 6-2 and one of the fastest players. He had 100 meter times that were faster than Bob Hayes.

He tried to play CB but was never good enough to get a permanent spot on the Cowboys 53 man roster.

Playing in the NFL is not remotely similar to playing in High School.

First off no Williams never ran times faster than Bob Hayes and why are you telling me HS ball isn't the NFL, isn't that more than obvious?

Bottom line is nothing hard to figure out and if you can't run forget cornerback.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What are the possibilities ,we have so much wide receiver talent , that we Try to convert one to cornerback. Noah brown maybe
good idea, innovative, and thats why it wont happen, and why some here will make fun of it, as it goes against the standard football mentality.

I think the best DB would be a guy who was a good WR. They would be better at finding and catching the ball than a standard db of today.

The only thing they might be weak at is other things such as tackling, run plays stuff like that.

dallas coaches are not innovative, they are standard football mentality guys.They go with what they know, which is just standard stuff.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What are the possibilities ,we have so much wide receiver talent , that we Try to convert one to cornerback. Noah brown maybe
Uh, no.

It's virtually impossible to change positions and be efficient at this level.