Will Cooper Rush be cut?

MikeT22

Reaction score
The Cowboys won’t be handing Trey Lance the backup job, it’s too important. Rush and Lance will compete for the job this summer. Rush has proved he can win some games so the Cowboys have some faith in him. For Lance to improve he needs competition.
Never underestimate Jerry.

MikeT22

Reaction score
There won’t be a parade anytime soon with the QBs you and others are coming up with to replace him. We wouldn’t go anywhere with a bargain who’s been piling up losing seasons the past 3 years. Our best chance of seeing a parade sooner rather than later is with the QB we have.
So, no parade

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wow. Ok I guess we don't let players who need to learn and progress time to do that any more. I guess raw players don't even get a full year in the system.

If he beats out Rush then he does. If he doesn't it isn't a big deal like calling him a bust yet. He's never been through a Cowboys off season, mini camps, OTA's, training camp or anything.
You saw how long Drew Henson lasted. I don’t see Lance being around very long if he doesn’t beat out Cooper Rush for the backup job. His future with the Cowboys will depend on how he performs in training camp and preseason this summer. If you can’t beat out Cooper Rush after what happened to him in San Francisco then he is a bust especially based on his top 5 draft position. Don’t know how anyone could think otherwise.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That doesn't come close to answering my question.
Unless you know someone with a crystal ball no one is going to be able to answer it. What I do know is we’re never going to win a championship with the QBs that you and some others would rather have because they’re cheaper.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What does a baseball player who could semi throw a football have to do with Lance?
The common bond is they were both highly touted QBs that we traded a draft pick for because other teams moved on from them. Many thought that if Drew Hinson stayed with football he would’ve been the first overall pick. The move Jerry made for Lance is very similar to the move he made for Henson.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Lance or Rush at #2, good either way

Who's gonna be #3 will be fun to see

Chasing6

Reaction score
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!
If I am Dak, and GM Jeruh wants to keep playing games in the media, I am taking all first team reps, then pulling a Martin.

Go ahead cut Rush and start Trance with who no one behind him?

GM Jeruh, is gambling a losing hand. Unless his all-in move is to rebuild.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Cowboys won’t be handing Trey Lance the backup job, it’s too important. Rush and Lance will compete for the job this summer. Rush has proved he can win some games so the Cowboys have some faith in him. For Lance to improve he needs competition.
They are not paying Lance $5.2 million this year (all guaranteed), to be the 3rd string QB.

Did I also mention that they burned a 4th rounder in addition to the money to get Lance?

Keep in mind that Cooper was traded for a 5th rounder, so they value Lance more than they valued a 1000 yard WR.

You dont burn a 4th rounder and $5 million on a 3rd string QB, that is beyond stupid.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They are not paying Lance $5.2 million this year (all guaranteed), to be the 3rd string QB.

Did I also mention that they burned a 4th rounder in addition to the money to get Lance?

Keep in mind that Cooper was traded for a 5th rounder, so they value Lance more than they valued a 1000 yard WR.

You dont burn a 4th rounder and $5 million on a 3rd string QB, that is beyond stupid.
They traded Cooper because he was making too much money and they wanted to get something for him because if they didn’t, they were going to release him. If Lance doesn’t look good in training camp and preseason this summer, they’re not going to hand him the job. Dak could be injured for a period of time, and he may have to play. If the competition is close, and even if Rush looks a little better they’ll probably make Lance the backup. However, if he’s not the least bit impressive this summer he’ll end up the third QB if we keep three.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Will Rush be cut? Maybe. Depends on Pre-Season.

Will Rush be cut in MARCH? Hell, no. *** are you thinking?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They traded Cooper because he was making too much money and they wanted to get something for him because if they didn’t, they were going to release him. If Lance doesn’t look good in training camp and preseason this summer, they’re not going to hand him the job. Dak could be injured for a period of time, and he may have to play. If the competition is close, and even if Rush looks a little better they’ll probably make Lance the backup. However, if he’s not the least bit impressive this summer he’ll end up the third QB if we keep three.
So, unless Dak gets hurt, we traded a 4th round pick for a one-year rental backup QB?

You would think for a team that avoids free agency like the plague and builds exclusively through the draft, they would not just piss away draft picks like this.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So, unless Dak gets hurt, we traded a 4th round pick for a one-year rental backup QB?

You would think for a team that avoids free agency like the plague and builds exclusively through the draft, they would not just piss away draft picks like this.
Jerry took a gamble, just like he did with Drew Henson. He traded a third for Henson who only lasted one season. If Dak gets extended, it’s not likely Lance will be around very long. He’ll want an opportunity to start somewhere. I posted earlier that Lance in my opinion was a safety net in the event Dak regressed and the Cowboys decided to move on from him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I do know is we’re never going to win a championship with the QBs that you and some others would rather have because they’re cheaper.
What I do know is we’re never going to win a championship with Dak. So why pay Dak and kill the salary cap?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You saw how long Drew Henson lasted. I don’t see Lance being around very long if he doesn’t beat out Cooper Rush for the backup job. His future with the Cowboys will depend on how he performs in training camp and preseason this summer. If you can’t beat out Cooper Rush after what happened to him in San Francisco then he is a bust especially based on his top 5 draft position. Don’t know how anyone could think otherwise.
It’s not Cooper’s job Lance will be taking.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

No.

Lance is the future.

GINeric

Reaction score
Being a lifetime dak support, I would hope they cut him. I can't stand that he won 5 games with the same team that dak had struggles with. I know it hurts and worries dak, so I say cut him so that is one less thing for dak to worry about.

He won those games just passing for over 100 yards. He did what he was asked to do and did a solid job, but keep believing that he put us on his back. That DEFINITELY wasn't the case.

Rush has been in the league going on 8 years now. If he was as good as some here try to build him up to be, he wouldn't have spent most of his career being picked up and released from practice squads.

If Rush is so good and is capable of leading a team, why the 31 other GMs, coaches and scouts, haven't came and plucked him from our roster yet???

I'll wait.....

(this is another one of those questions that the trolls always avoid when trying to build Rush up like he's a starting quarterback in this league)