Will Cooper Rush be cut?

Chasing6

Reaction score
They are not paying Lance $5.2 million this year (all guaranteed), to be the 3rd string QB.

Did I also mention that they burned a 4th rounder in addition to the money to get Lance?

Keep in mind that Cooper was traded for a 5th rounder, so they value Lance more than they valued a 1000 yard WR.

You dont burn a 4th rounder and $5 million on a 3rd string QB, that is beyond stupid.
Let's not forget we are talking about GM Jeruh, who made a decision without talking to anyone.

If I am a GM, I am trying to get Jeruh on the phone to see what other deals he will make without talking to anyone.

You also don't send picks and cash to the team you are trying to catch in your conference.

However, the Niners had no fear of trading him to us. So that tells you how they feel about him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
At least not this year.

:laugh:
It definitely won’t be this year. The only chance Lance has to start for the Cowboys is if he beats out Rush for the backup job. The Cowboys decide not to extend Dak and he were to get injured during the season for an extended period and Lance were to play exceptionally well. If Lance were to string some wins together, and is productive in the passing game, then the Cowboys would probably move on from Dak. It would have to be similar to the Romo/Dak situation.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Unless you know someone with a crystal ball no one is going to be able to answer it. What I do know is we’re never going to win a championship with the QBs that you and some others would rather have because they’re cheaper.
I’m not interested in cheaper, I’d like better and someone worthy of a huge contract.
Deer in the headlights Dak isn’t it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m not interested in cheaper, I’d like better and someone worthy of a huge contract.
Deer in the headlights Dak isn’t it.
Who can we get that’s better and worthy of a huge contract? If Dak isn’t it who is?

stiletto

Reaction score
I have a feeling it will be status quo this year, one last hoorah with the current cast of characters. 2025 will see a lot of new faces me thinks.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!!
Develop him?????? He spent 3 yrs with one of the best offensive minds in the NFL and couldn't beat out anybody, so what makes everyone think that his stay with the Cowboys is going to be any different??????? Just because a team gave away a boat load of draft capital to draft this guy doesn't mean he can play at the next level. He's already proven that he doesn't have the body to hang in the rough and tough NFL with his many stints on the IR list and those stints have cost him dearly when it comes to performing with his arm. The bottom line with this young man is he left college way too early and the division he played in was considered between a AA & AAA level of college football. It's not like he was man handling the SEC or ACC, no he was going against upper-level JC players and with that said, where were all the BIG-TIME university offers when Lance graduated from High School? If this young man is so great, why didn't he get any offers to play for Florida, Texas, Alabama, USC or one of the other top programs in this country?????? If he did get offers, why did he turn them down??????? There are too many unanswered questions about the young man for him to be GIVEN the Dallas Cowboy starting QB job. The Cowboys have entrusted Prescot to lead them to the promise land and he's proven that he doesn't have the capabilities to get the job done and now we have Lance waiting in the weeds to take the job and his football capabilities aren't even close to Prescot's. No, JJ has to find a way to move up into the top half of this draft and come away with a 1st rd QB. This is not an impossible task, it can be done if JJ can pull his head out and make a trade or two to get the Boys their next great Cowboy leader.

quickccc

Reaction score
With Lance having a $5 million price tag, is there any way we will keep Cooper Rush on this team. It's been said that Mike likes to keep 3 QBS on the roster.

In paying Lance, it would almost be smarter to draft a rookie and develop him, which would be cheaper than having Lance at 5 million and Cooper at $2 million. What will we do in the end? DISCUSS!!!!

It's a dilenma and I think team has to decide to either keep Rush as experience insurance , should Trey fall apart this summer,
or totally trust in an highly invested Trey Lance -cut Rush, and let Trey play out with ALL backup time reps.

If the club had plans to cut Rush, (post June) I would have thought they'd do so now to allow him to explore teams
that could be interested in him and get him going in the offseason.

Would be doing him an injustice to wait it out until end of August/near Regular Season.

Thing is do we really know how Trey is gonna perform in preseason cuz once Rush is gone, and Trey shows awful, then
we have a serious backup QB issue should Dak get hurt and have to miss a couple to 4 games.
(ala broken finger vs Tampa Bay)

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Trance is a great athlete with a lot of potential. He has been mentored for the past year be none only than the QB whisperer.
Good luck if you think he’s going to be the answer. I’ll believe it when I see it on the field with him.

GINeric

Reaction score
Also if Cooper Rush is so great and such a threat to Dak's job like some are making him out to be. Then why are Cowboys fans proposing that the team should be either tank or trade away Parsons in an attempt to move up to a top 3 spot in the draft and then use that pick to get Caleb Williams or one of the other high draft prospects? Why aren't they proposing for the Front office just to reward Cooper Rush the starting job for the rest of the time he'll either be in the NFL or be on the Cowboys roster? Because if they really believed Cooper Rush's skills and talents as a QB was the main or sole reason for the Cowboys being 4-1 like they keep on saying over and over again. Then they would be just encouraging the front office to go with Cooper Rush as the starter and would be okay with them bypassing drafting high QB prospects (Even if they had a top 10 pick to get one) on the logic of "Cooper Rush went 4-1 with this team. So we don't need to draft a promising prospect out of college since we have won games with and because of Cooper Rush).

I'm all for moving on from Dak. But never will agree with the building up of Cooper Rush.
Also if Cooper Rush is so great and such a threat to Dak's job like some are making him out to be. Then why are Cowboys fans proposing that the team should be either tank or trade away Parsons in an attempt to move up to a top 3 spot in the draft and then use that pick to get Caleb Williams or one of the other high draft prospects? Why aren't they proposing for the Front office just to reward Cooper Rush the starting job for the rest of the time he'll either be in the NFL or be on the Cowboys roster? Because if they really believed Cooper Rush's skills and talents as a QB was the main or sole reason for the Cowboys being 4-1 like they keep on saying over and over again. Then they would be just encouraging the front office to go with Cooper Rush as the starter and would be okay with them bypassing drafting high QB prospects (Even if they had a top 10 pick to get one) on the logic of "Cooper Rush went 4-1 with this team. So we don't need to draft a promising prospect out of college since we have won games with and because of Cooper Rush).

I'm all for moving on from Dak. But never will agree with the building up of Cooper Rush. And those who are building him up just because they want Dak gone from Dallas, can't explain why other teams haven't picked him up if he is so great. And also needs to explain would they be okay with the front office deciding to forgo the chance at getting the next potential Mahomes or tier 1 and tier 2 NFL QB in the draft on the reason that Cooper Rush is 4-1 with the team, therefore they believe they could make him the starter for a few seasons and win a lot of games with him.

I agree with you. I definitely wouldn't have a problem letting Dak go and moving on, only if we have a plan and a better solution.

With that said, those certain few only inflated Rush's abilities to try and discredit Dak. But I'm surprised that they continuously allow themselves to look uneducated, uninformed, and just plain dumb by sticking to that narrative.

They try to act like Rush is on Dak's level, yet 31 other scouts, GMs and head coaches all fail to see what the trolls see. The funny part about it is these same trolls are too dumb, to realize how dumb their logic lines up to real life facts.

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score
Rush is a lifetime backup. If a backup can win 5 games with this team, that should tell you something about the starter. Nobody is building Rush up, they are pointing out that the team is not that bad.

It tells me nothing about the starter except for the starter is light years better than Rush.

The starter has been a top 10 quarterback most of his career and finished 2nd team All Pro without a running game.

Rush shouldn't even be in the same conversation as the starter other than saying the word teammate. Rush is a career backup at BEST.

They both been in the NFL around the same amount of time.

Case closed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's a dilenma and I think team has to decide to either keep Rush as experience insurance , should Trey fall apart this summer,
or totally trust in an highly invested Trey Lance -cut Rush, and let Trey play out with ALL backup time reps.

If the club had plans to cut Rush, (post June) I would have thought they'd do so now to allow him to explore teams
that could be interested in him and get him going in the offseason.

Would be doing him an injustice to wait it out until end of August/near Regular Season.

Thing is do we really know how Trey is gonna perform in preseason cuz once Rush is gone, and Trey shows awful, then
we have a serious backup QB issue should Dak get hurt and have to miss a couple to 4 games.
(ala broken finger vs Tampa Bay)
if you ask jerry trey is trending up nicely, now has he seen that for himself, I bet not! lol