Will Curtis Martin break Emmitt's record?

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Let's wait till he is starting the 12th year.....

A few more of those 371 carry years and he is toast. Or
Darren Hambrick.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
i voted that no he wont. i voted that way because:

1. i really like emmitt

2. emmitt was a Cowboy

3. i was at that game with my kids and i would love for them to be able

to tell people for years to come that they were there when the record was set.

4. i know that running backs can lose it very rapidly

but to be totally honest i think Martin has a good shot at it.

kmp77

Reaction score
He has a shot. Depends on if he can maintain his starting position, keep running strong etc. I hope he doesn't though. Nothing against Martin, he's a good guy, but Emmitt was a Cowboy :)

whcarm

Reaction score
Martin is already 32. Not many RBs keep going strong once they get past the early thirties.

Martin has averaged 85.67 yards per game up to this point in his career. If he were to stay with that average it would take him 58 games to get to Emmitt's record or over 3 and a half years. Does anything think he is going to be averaging 85.67 yards per season after he is 35?

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
I voted for him not to break Emmitt's record. He deserves to hold that title for as long as he lives as an outstanding rusher and consumate field general.

However, Curtin Martin is an equally talented runningback and general for the Jets. And if anybody should surpass that mark, I hope it's Martin.

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
Martin finally has a legit qb an their defense is one of the better in the AFC. If they add a serious receiving threat next year then that takes a lot of pressure off him. With a defense that can keep people from scoring they can play from ahead a lot of the time and he will get a lot of carries. His career seems to be peaking now, and although emmitt was the reason I became a cowboys fan, I think Martin will break the record. I don't think that makes him the better back (look at their TD's and yards per carry avgs), but I think he'll do it.

And just to make things interesting, I'm posting this poll over on a jets bbs and comparing the results.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
wow, thats a tough call. I just dont know. Hes as good as anyone running today. But look at Faulk, he went from all world to injury prone and dropped from fantasy teams. I am not sure what Faulk will do this year. Backs can drop it in a heart beat, without warning. If he can stay healthy, which I dont believe is a problem for Martin, he could well have a good chance at it.

I would like to see Emmitt keep it, cause hes Emmitt and hes a boy. But I like Martin and while I would not trade for him to be my featured back, I think hes as good a back as their is in the league today. Maybe getting old quickly. Will be worth watching though to see if he can do it.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Martin was a year older when he came into the league than Emmitt was, and he hasn't been as productive as Emmitt. Right now, he is 1,800 yards behind what Emmitt had at the same age. I don't see him playing long enough or being productive enough to come close to the record.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Here's some evidence suggesting that Martin will have a very difficult time breaking the record --

Martin has played 10 seasons and has 13,366 yards (third-best all-time after 10 seasons, behind only Barry Sanders' 15,269 and Emmitt's 13,963, and just ahead of Walter Payton's 13,309). Martin just completed the best 10th season in NFL history, 1,697 yards, breaking Payton's record of 1,684.

The best 11th season in NFL history belongs to Payton -- 1,551 yards. Nobody else is within 300 yards of that. (Emmitt is second at 1,203.)

The best 12th season in NFL history belongs to John Riggins -- 1,347 yards. Only Payton's 1,333 is within 300 yards of that. (Emmitt is fourth at 1,021.)

The best 13th season in NFL history also belongs to Riggins -- 1,239 yards. Nobody else is within 250 yards of that. (Emmitt is second at 975.)

The best 14th season in NFL history belongs to Marcus Allen -- 890 yards. Nobody else is within 200 yards of that. (Emmitt had 256.)

So, even if Martin matched the best 11th season, the best 12th season, the best 13th season AND the best 14th season in NFL history (at which point he'd be 35 years old), he'd still have only 18,393 yards -- just 38 yards more than Emmitt's record. If he falls short in any season, he'll almost certainly fall short of the record.

Martin has the disadvantage of being a year older than Emmitt and Payton at the same stage of their careers, and the other two running backs whom he has to match (Riggins and Allen) didn't have anywhere close to the wear and tear in their first 10 seasons as Martin (or Emmitt). Riggins averaged only 185 carries in his first 11 seasons, and Allen averaged only 191 carries in his first 13 seasons. Martin has averaged 330.

If Martin can manage to be that successful in his 11th, 12th, 13th 14th and/or 15th seasons AND match or break Emmitt's records for consecutive seasons as a feature back (13), total seasons as a feature back (14) and career rushing attempts (he almost certainly would have to, since his average per carry is lower than Emmitt's), all while being a year older than the man he's chasing, then he would deserve to hold the record. But I just don't see him even coming close.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
poke said:
i voted that no he wont. i voted that way because:

3. i was at that game with my kids and i would love for them to be able

to tell people for years to come that they were there when the record was set.

Won't you still be able to tell them for years to come that you were there even if Martin breaks the record? :confused:

Sorry, but "I don't want him to break it because I like Emmitt" is not a reason. (Don't take it as if I'm picking on you, poke, because I'm not. You weren't the only one who said this.)

Curtis Martin needs roughly 998 yards the next five years to break Emmitt's record.

It's certainly doable, but I say he misses it for these reasons.

1. Curtis Martin has needed more carries a season (330) in less years (10) than Emmitt to even get close to him. Emmitt's average over 10 years is 293 carries a season. Martin's carries last year (371) were the most he's ever carried. Emmitt's highest number of carries (377) came in his most productive season (1,773) and that came is his fifth season.

Martin's came in his 10th season. :eek:

After that big year, Emmitt's numbers (with a brief spike in 1998 and 1999) began to decline. And remember, that was in his fifth year.

Now Martin may be a marvel, but in his 10th year after hauling the ball 371 times, I'd say the wall is going to hit him rather fast.

2. Running backs over 30 quickly go down hill. The wall both Emmitt and Marshall Faulk, particularly Marshall, hit was brutal. One year Marshall went from being this super quick dart to a shadow of himself. He's basically on his way out. And I never saw him take a direct shot. I think Martin is going to hit a similar wall, especially with the load he has just carried for the Jets.

3. Running backs are a dime a dozen now.
The Jets just lost LaMont Jordan, who was suppose to be Martin's heir apparent. But it's not hard to find capable running backs. And teams prefer fresh legs. If the Jets are able to get an Adrian Peterson, a Reggie Bush or a DeAnglo Williams, you can bet they're going to use those backs and bring Martin in for a breather. With such a pace, I doubt he's going to get enough carries to break Smith's record.

The only caveat here is if Martin has a monster year next year and repeats a similar 1,600 rushing yards performance followed by about a 1,000 season in 2006-07. That would leave him roughtly 2,300 yards short of Emmitt. I can envision the Jets, then, keeping him around for a few years as a "spell" back in hopes he could overtake Emmitt. All this depends, of course, on his health and his desire.

I'm hoping that it doesn't happen because Emmitt is a Cowboy, and I want a Cowboy to hold the record as long as possible. But it's doable even though I don't think it will be done.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
if martin stays injury free, and he still has the passion, he could very well catch emmitt. curtis martin is a class act, liked him from the first game i ever saw him play in for new england. you could tell he was going to be special. curtis is one of those players that no one has anything negative to say about.

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Here's some evidence suggesting that Martin will have a very difficult time breaking the record --

Martin has played 10 seasons and has 13,366 yards (third-best all-time after 10 seasons, behind only Barry Sanders' 15,269 and Emmitt's 13,963, and just ahead of Walter Payton's 13,309). Martin just completed the best 10th season in NFL history, 1,697 yards, breaking Payton's record of 1,684.

The best 11th season in NFL history belongs to Payton -- 1,551 yards. Nobody else is within 300 yards of that. (Emmitt is second at 1,203.)

The best 12th season in NFL history belongs to John Riggins -- 1,347 yards. Only Payton's 1,333 is within 300 yards of that. (Emmitt is fourth at 1,021.)

The best 13th season in NFL history also belongs to Riggins -- 1,239 yards. Nobody else is within 250 yards of that. (Emmitt is second at 975.)

The best 14th season in NFL history belongs to Marcus Allen -- 890 yards. Nobody else is within 200 yards of that. (Emmitt had 256.)

So, even if Martin matched the best 11th season, the best 12th season, the best 13th season AND the best 14th season in NFL history (at which point he'd be 35 years old), he'd still have only 18,393 yards -- just 38 yards more than Emmitt's record. If he falls short in any season, he'll almost certainly fall short of the record.

Martin has the disadvantage of being a year older than Emmitt and Payton at the same stage of their careers, and the other two running backs whom he has to match (Riggins and Allen) didn't have anywhere close to the wear and tear in their first 10 seasons as Martin (or Emmitt). Riggins averaged only 185 carries in his first 11 seasons, and Allen averaged only 191 carries in his first 13 seasons. Martin has averaged 330.

If Martin can manage to be that successful in his 11th, 12th, 13th 14th and/or 15th seasons AND match or break Emmitt's records for consecutive seasons as a feature back (13), total seasons as a feature back (14) and career rushing attempts (he almost certainly would have to, since his average per carry is lower than Emmitt's), all while being a year older than the man he's chasing, then he would deserve to hold the record. But I just don't see him even coming close.

Hmm... Very interesting stats adam. I guess now I think it's less likely, but I'd say out of anyone in the league now, he's got the best shot. And about the jets drafting a bush or a peterson, if martin is anywhere near as productive as he was last year, the jets will not be interested in (nor be in a position that high up on the board) taking a 1st round back. You don't replace 1700 yard backs until their production decreases pretty dramatically.

Bobo

Reaction score
3 people have voted yes....must be trolls from extremeskins :p:

I said no. Of course there's a chance if he can play maybe 4 more good years while staying very healthy, but I think that'll be a pretty hard task. But he's gone through his career pretty quietly, so he'll probably sneak up on the record before we know it :eek:

playit12

Reaction score
I doubt Martin will be able to keep the featured back role long enough to break the record. If anyone gets to it I'd have to put my money on Tomlinson. In his 4 years he has been in the top ten in rush yards all four years and in the top 5 twice. If his body can hold up, he has the best chance.

By the way through 4 years he has 200 more yards than Emmitt did in that span. More impressively is that in that same span he also has 787 more reception yards than emmitt did, which may well be the reason he won't be able to pass Emmitt all time rushing yards.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
No. Cumar has taken tremendous punishment in the course of his career. His is not a running style that just takes glancing blows, and in addition, he has never run behind the kind of dominating Olines ES had for much of his career.

Altho Martin drives himself like a madman and is capable of playing thru incredible pain (like two serious high ankle sprains for much of one season), I suspect what will happen is one day he will make a Jim Brown-Barry Sanders decision and shock the world.

That will be when he realizes his body just can't take another season's beating..altho mentally I don't expect him to ever weary.

I do not see Curtis ever becoming an Eddie George. When he's done, he will know it, and when he knows he's done, Cumar will retire.