Will Curtis Martin break Emmitt's record?

lkelly

Reaction score
How long does Martin's current contract run? And assuming it expires in the next 2 years, are the Jets willing to resign him to be their franchise back (at high dollars) at an old age? And if not, will another team be desperate like the Cardinals and step up to give him a starting job?

If no team is going to pay him big money to start at age 35, he won't break the record.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:

emmitt has the record because emmitt wanted the record more than anybody since payton.

i think martin exhibits the same trait of durability. but does he have that same determination and drive to get the record? and to keep it?

My guess is no, that Curtis has nowhere near the drive to obtain individual records that Smith did. Football itself is just a means to an ends to him, he has often said, and the ends of course, are being in the position to 'make a difference'.

I can honestly say that over three decades of watching football, Martin is unlike any professional athlete I have ever observed. He drives himself beyond the constraints of his own body, on his own. Each offseason it is something new, whether renting a seaside condo with twenty flights of outdoors stairs, and running up and down them til he drops, or finding a personal trainer who ties a bungee cord 'round his waist and has him run to its limits.

Martin's chief competition has always been with himself - he's got to be physically and mentally better than he was the last season or he's dissatisfied. But his attitude toward personal records can be demonstrated by his reaction to winning last season's rushing title - he seemed to get much more pleasure out of the 'oldtimer accomplishing it' aspect than the actual title. He is an ascetic thorugh and through.

I don't see Martin continuing for a personal record if his body tells him it's over. (I can however, see the Bus hanging on). But Martin lacks something Emmitt had, three things, in fact. Rings.

If the Jets become competitive enough to really give New England a battle in the AFC East...would that be enough for Martin to keep going past his currently high level of productivity? With rings, you never know..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm not a big record guy, so I don't really care whether he breaks Emmitt's record or not...records were meant to be broken. If he does, he'll certainly deserve all the accolades that go with it.

However, the odds of a player staying healthy down the stretch run of his career, as Emmitt did, is unlikely. I think he'll move into 2nd or 3rd place with two more seasons, maybe 3, but while he could certainly do it, the odds are against him, just as they were against Emmitt.

I don't think he'll get it done.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
stag hunter said:
http://www.profootballreference.com/players/SmitEm00.htm

http://www.profootballreference.com/players/MartCu00.htm

He is on pace, and is showing no signs of slowing down. His 9th season has thus far been his best one. And the remarkable thing is he's done all this without nearly the supporting cast Emmitt had.
I wouldn't say he's exactly on pace. at the start of Emmitts 11th season he had 13963 yards martin has 13366 thats 597 yards and if you then compare their rookie years Martin out rushed Emmitt by 500+ yards so that tells me that Emmitt put up much better numbers years 2-10 than did martin. I will say this Martin is consistant. He has a shot but lets see how his health holds out these next two years.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
If anyone has a shot at it it is Martin but I voted no because I just don't believe he will play long enough or at a high enough level. He has been fortunate so far not to have suffered any major injuries and he has been able to fend off challenges by guys like Lamont Jordan but I can't see him doing that for another 4+ years.

AdamJT13 came with some great info, as usual, and I agree with his assessment of that info. The odds are against Curtis playing that long and that well.

I also don't believe the Jets will give him the chance to play that long or with so many carries before they look to replace him.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Not a chance. Only one of Tuna's backs get to do that.....Julius Jones in 12 years.

Dinobot 2

Reaction score
HeHateMe said:
6 votes for Martin thus far.

All coming from, hmmm, Jets/Skins/Eagles/Giants fans.

Hmmm this is a jets question man. And the 178 coming from hmmmm Cowboys fans. Gimmie a break. I have valid reasons. Don't write me off.

Dinobot 2

Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
Not a chance. Only one of Tuna's backs get to do that.....Julius Jones in 12 years.

I like that. I'm a huge fan of Notre Dame and I got to see Jones turn into somthing great way back. I was interested to see how Cowboy fans would react to his pick in last years draft. He's gonna be a future HOF'er.