Will Dak have his new contract by kick-off?

Will Dak sign a new long term deal by July 15th?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

basel90

Reaction score
Having dalton changes the game . Dak will have to win now or move out . No more excuses of bad coaches etc etc ..l time to win the big games and not just the soft schedule . And if the running game stalls , and Dak starts to struggle as usual , fans will be asking for Dalton to come In .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet you turn around and demean him. Nice work.

Not taking his side, I just love the irony of people complaining about people acting childish and then do the same.
This is a fair enough point. I don’t think I should sugar coat what he consistently does, but you are right that I could have handled differently.

Rayman70

Reaction score
having Dalton changes nothing except for the back up spot. It was a HUGE upgrade. He was brought in for that and ONLY that...short term. If Dak gets hurt and misses time, we now have a guy that can guide the ship and get the W . WE LACKED THAT GUY BEFORE. The FO has their flaws, but they would be dumb as a box of rocks if they signed Dalton to compete with Dak as the starter. That is just daffy thinking.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Having dalton changes the game . Dak will have to win now or move out . No more excuses of bad coaches etc etc ..l time to win the big games and not just the soft schedule . And if the running game stalls , and Dak starts to struggle as usual , fans will be asking for Dalton to come In .
see my below statement. I may be wrong, but I am sticking to that.

Swagger

Reaction score
its better to sign him long term for a couple reasons...ONE, if for some reason we want to trade him down the road, we can. If you play him on the tag, we risk losing our investment and getting NOTHING IN RETURN! Second, it saves us several million dollars right now and into the next 2 years. The last year of his deal would be the costly one...year 4. Signing him is just smart and prudent from those standpoints. We have zero leverage if we let him play on the tag. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. If he stinks it up halfway thru the year, at least we would have an option to trade him if we can find a trade partner.

I do not foresee a team trading for him on the supposed deal that he wants. He has signed the tender so we can now trade him now/during the season. Jaguars look the most likely type of team that would be interested. Offload whilst we can and acquire something for him if only a second rounder.

If we sign him to a long term contract and are unable to trade him then we are lumbered with him for 4-5 years unless we want to give up 15% of dead cap space money each year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I do not foresee a team trading for him on the supposed deal that he wants. He has signed the tender so we can now trade him now/during the season. Jaguars look the most likely type of team that would be interested. Offload whilst we can and acquire something for him if only a second rounder.

If we sign him to a long term contract and are unable to trade him then we are lumbered with him for 4-5 years unless we want to give up 15% of dead cap space money each year.
hes a good QB. Mahomes he is not, but any team that needs a winner would want to kick the tires and maybe trade for him. Like it or not, he would garner a 1st round pick and then some. Teams know how important QB is and are willing to roll the dice and overpay for 1. Its the market. Dak and the team will come to terms soon. It is good business. we can't trade a guy playing on the tag btw. Thats not how it works...once the deadline passes which is july 15th, that 32 million dollars is ALL guaranteed to Dak and payable . He wouldnt be allowed to sign a new deal with a team this year. He MUST remain here and play on the tag...its fully guaranteed. SO from a business standpoint, it behooves the team to sign him. Waiting kills the cap maneuverability.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't care if Dak makes 30 million or 40 million this year. Call me callous.
agree. Bottom line is you can't win long term without him. The notion that Dalton is the teams savior is funny and untrue. Lots of conspiracy stuff on here. PAY the guy, make it a 4 year deal and lets move forward. Allowing him to play on the tag is a nonstarter in so many ways.

shabazz

Reaction score
55% of the voters may be correct yet again. It’s apparent that Dakota isnt held in high esteem by MM. McCarthy has had truly elite QBs in the past an he doesn’t want to hitch his wagon to this mule.

Dalton may not be the long term answer, since he’s past his prime, but he’s an excellent stop gap till MM gets his next elite QB.

It’s happening right our very eyes but the die hards won’t come to terms with that till Rayne Dakota is wearing another teams uniform..........not that there’s anything wrong with that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
55% of the voters may be correct yet again. It’s apparent that Dakota isnt held in high esteem by MM. McCarthy has had truly elite QBs in the past an he doesn’t want to hitch his wagon to this mule.

Dalton may not be the long term answer, since he’s past his prime, but he’s an excellent stop gap till MM gets his next elite QB.

It’s happening right our very eyes but the die hards won’t come to terms with that till Rayne Dakota is wearing another teams uniform..........not that there’s anything wrong with that.

apparent how? What has McCarthy done or said that indicates he doesn’t hold Dak in high esteem?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agree. Bottom line is you can't win long term without him. The notion that Dalton is the teams savior is funny and untrue. Lots of conspiracy stuff on here. PAY the guy, make it a 4 year deal and lets move forward. Allowing him to play on the tag is a nonstarter in so many ways.

I'm a fan of the team more so than the players. I don't care who is in the uniform. Just play the dam game and win. Dalton might be able to bus drive us as far as Dak has thus far but Dak may have more upside. Just haven't seen the results yet.

shabazz

Reaction score
apparent how? What has McCarthy done or said that indicates he doesn’t hold Dak in high esteem?

It should be obvious to everyone that he’s not signed on to giving Dakota this bloated contract.

I don’t seem to recall any contract disputes with Favre or Rodgers......they were signed to elite money at each players terms. This is not happening with Dak

To the naive, MM will never publicly state his apathy for Dakota, but if he really wanted Rayne, Jerry would have signed him at any cost.

Don’t take my word for it, just see what’s actually happening and let it sink in

Swagger

Reaction score
hes a good QB. Mahomes he is not, but any team that needs a winner would want to kick the tires and maybe trade for him. Like it or not, he would garner a 1st round pick and then some. Teams know how important QB is and are willing to roll the dice and overpay for 1. Its the market. Dak and the team will come to terms soon. It is good business. we can't trade a guy playing on the tag btw. Thats not how it works...once the deadline passes which is july 15th, that 32 million dollars is ALL guaranteed to Dak and payable . He wouldnt be allowed to sign a new deal with a team this year. He MUST remain here and play on the tag...its fully guaranteed. SO from a business standpoint, it behooves the team to sign him. Waiting kills the cap maneuverability.

He has signed the tender so am I correct in stating that he can now be traded to another team before 15th July?

That was my understanding. If not then I hold up my hands I thought that was the case.

If we could get a first round pick and maybe more for him then given the time of the season (difficult to spread the money elsewhere at this stage) it would be worth paying him for this season and accruing those draft picks. Dalton would be as productive as Prescott imo and we can draft a QB next season on a rookie contract in the first round with all of those draft picks.

It's my view that Prescott's limited QB ability has been holding back this team. Coaching has of course been a factor but when I watch this offense it's painful seeing the number of plays left out on the field especially given the investment and commitment to the offense with high draft picks and cap space allotted to this unit. It effectively knee caps the team as it has a knock on effect to other areas of the team, e.g. defense staying on the field too long.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yet people will blame the defense! Try giving that unit some more resources and first round picks before just slating them.

I do not understand the road we have gone down with Prescott. We should have committed far more resources to the defense as we need an elite unit to carry a QB like Prescott. If they want to sign Prescott long term, whilst I don't agree with it, ok but we need to commit our resources to the defense so it will carry us. You don't fill up an old Lada with a full tank of expensive petrol.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It should be obvious to everyone that he’s not signed on to giving Dakota this bloated contract.

I don’t seem to recall any contract disputes with Favre or Rodgers......they were signed to elite money at each players terms. This is not happening with Dak

To the naive, MM will never publicly state his apathy for Dakota, but if he really wanted Rayne, Jerry would have signed him at any cost.

Don’t take my word for it, just see what’s actually happening and let it sink in

so, Jimmy Johnson didn’t want Emmitt Smith when Emmitt didn’t get signed in 1993 until after the first two regular season games? Lol.

Its a negotiation, and there is more to a teams financial situation than one contract, so it’s nonsensical to say a team would sign a player It wants “at any cost”.

Additionally what you are saying isn’t consistent with any of the reporting about the situation, which is primarily that length of contract is the holdup.

Further, logic dictates McCarthy wouldn’t want a long commitment to Dak at any price if he didn’t hold Dak in high regard.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It doesnt change the negotiation, but, it makes it more difficult to get this done next year .....as there's less 'flexibility' on money (Cowboys CANT give a 2nd Tag without restructuring contracts to a really detrimental effect in the future OR with playing scrubs at Safety, CB, LB and Edge Rush).

Similarly cant afford a 2 year Cousins deal.

........IF YOU CUT DOWN THE OPTIONS, YOU CUT DOWN THE CHANCES TO NEGOTIATE.

It shouldnt be a Win/ Lose situation.
well the 2nd tag will only cost what 7 mil more than this one? that isnt much and the cap may go up at least 7 mil.

It would be better then to sign him to a 4 year deal , but even then they will be paying him 35 mil a year on avg.
If they push it to last 2 years, then those years he becomes a even worse cap burden.

That is why many of us are saying to find a cheaper QB, and avoid that excessive cap burden for 1 player.
People are not saying dak is bad, .....well some are lol, but it is just that he isnt good enough to pay the amount he wants.

So all this could lead to Dak leaving, it could happen, but I think most want to see how he does this year before paying him
on long contract, or letting him go.

basel90

Reaction score
see my below statement. I may be wrong, but I am sticking to that.
Totally agree . He had too many chances to take the next step . He has accuracy issues with pressing defenses and man to man coverage . Jerry got him the top WRs and OL and RB game , but he still went 1-6 against decent teams and lost to awful teams like the jets and bears .

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
well the 2nd tag will only cost what 7 mil more than this one? that isnt much and the cap may go up at least 7 mil.

It would be better then to sign him to a 4 year deal , but even then they will be paying him 35 mil a year on avg.
If they push it to last 2 years, then those years he becomes a even worse cap burden.

That is why many of us are saying to find a cheaper QB, and avoid that excessive cap burden for 1 player.
People are not saying dak is bad, .....well some are lol, but it is just that he isnt good enough to pay the amount he wants.

So all this could lead to Dak leaving, it could happen, but I think most want to see how he does this year before paying him
on long contract, or letting him go.

No arguing with most of that....but

2nd Tag

Using OVER THE CAP figures the 2021 CAP will raise by $17m to $215m.....but

We are left with $36m (+whatever we carry over) to fill: QB, QB2, 2 Safeties, 1 or 2 Edge Rushers, LB, CB ...minimum

The amount of money and contracts we'd have to restructure would seriously mess up the future finances.

Probably keeping us paying Coop, DLaw and Zeke guaranteed money way to long.....or extending Smith /Martin into their late 30's. Could try Collins but doubt he'd go for it (he'd be looking at extending after 2022).

What happens if going into 2021 Dak/ his agents threaten to hold out?

We dont have the available CAP to get a Dalton type back up and we're not going to be able to replace the above Free Agent needs...the Cowboys will be in limbo and ALL of the negotiating power is with Dak.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
having Dalton changes nothing except for the back up spot. It was a HUGE upgrade. He was brought in for that and ONLY that...short term. If Dak gets hurt and misses time, we now have a guy that can guide the ship and get the W . WE LACKED THAT GUY BEFORE. The FO has their flaws, but they would be dumb as a box of rocks if they signed Dalton to compete with Dak as the starter. That is just daffy thinking.

He's a good back up and will at least make Dak think that there's at least a feasible alternative.

Similar to the Eagles situation last December... we weren't going to play Rush, however, if available i'm sure Dalton would have played a fair few snaps,

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Totally agree, but think the Jones want the 5th year to aid the flexibility as it'll still be difficult in 2023 (we're already last in CAP availability for the year).