Video: Will Dak win a Super Bowl? Michael Irvin: "Absolutely"

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
What really boggles my mind is that everyone is on the Stafford train basically saying. "Look what happens when you put a team around him and a good coach" Dak had Jason Garrett for 5 years of his life lol. I have noticed. Any QB not playing for the Dallas Cowboys is afforded every excuse in the book for failing.

Apples and Oranges. Dak has been surrounded by talent his whole career. Just a fact. Stafford had Megatron and no one. He also had Jim Schwartz, Jim Caldwell and Matt Patricia and still played well. There shouldn’t be excuses with Dak. Btw I’m not putting it all on him but he and other big time players have failed when it counts.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. Dak has been surrounded by talent his whole career. Just a fact. Stafford had Megatron and no one. He also had Jim Schwartz, Jim Caldwell and Matt Patricia and still played well. There shouldn’t be excuses with Dak. Btw I’m not putting it all on him but he and other big time players have failed when it counts.
Oh agreed.

But. You put Dak on the current Rams team. Do you think they fail? Or succeed?

DonaldM

Reaction score
We have had some brilliant coaches surrounding Dak. Stop the excuses.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak Is capable of winning a Super Bowl but it’s looking less likely that he ever will. I just don’t think the team around him and the coaching will ever be good enough. He’ll be going into his seventh year next season and the Cowboys continue to spin their wheels. The same issues that keep holding the team back keep popping up every year. They’re not even close to being a championship team.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Oh agreed.

I honestly don’t know. Seriously. I used to be a pretty big Dak fan..mostly for his leadership, ability to make plays out of nothing, etc. I think the last season that has declined. I think Stafford is a better fit for their team. He had some stinkers but has had a very nice post season. The factor I can’t figure in is McVay snd if he makes Dak better or if he’s hit his ceiling.

Yobwocs

Reaction score

2016. All the other years the talent featured mostly the fading receivers from the Romo era, a terrible defense for a few years, or overpaid players called elite but always underperform in big games. He doesn't have the talent the Rams have had since McVay took over.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Oh agreed.

I know it wasn't for me but....
Good and fair question.

I do think they would be good....though that defense was middle of the pack until late season.
I do not think they would be playing in the Super Bowl and they may have not won that very close and stacked division
Plus...that game-winning TD bomb by Stafford vs the Bucs in the playoffs was insane
But none of us knows for sure.

fwiw....although Stafford had a pretty rough November, he did finish the season leading all NFL QBs in 4th quarter and late-game efficiency. Nobody was better in the 4th quarter than Stafford (statistically) in 2021.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It’s a good answer from Irvin; what is he supposed to say, “No?”

Well, he could be acknowledge that it's difficult & just being good enough isn't enough. "I believe he is capable."

Takes a lot to go right just to get to a SB, even more to win one.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Oh agreed.

Fail. The QB we have seen here has never beaten high level competition. It would be unrealistic to say he would succeed even on the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens. No matter how good a team is the QB will have to make some plays to get to a SB and win it.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Fail. The QB we have seen here has never beaten high level competition. It would be unrealistic to say he would succeed even on the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens. No matter how good a team is the QB will have to make some plays to get to a SB and win it.
I dont respond to blatantly ignorant posts like this normally but wow. LOL. This could go up as worst post of the year.

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
As a backup somewhere else, maybe

My thoughts exactly. There is a much better chance Dak is a backup somewhere in 5-6 years then winning a Super Bowl. Michael thinks with his heart and not brain and his the ultimate Cowboys fan. Now all of that to his credit and he was an amazing player. But, this is him thinking his thoughts in what he wants out loud, not what will happen. The only way Dak wins a Super Bowl is if the defense turns into the 85 bears or 2000 Ravens and the running game churns out 125-150 a game. Dak won't will the Cowboys to Super Bowl without the same amount of help any other above average QB would need.

Last edited:

Yobwocs

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. There is a much better chance Dak is a backup somewhere is 3 years then winning a Super Bowl. Michael thinks with his heart and not brain and his the ultimate Cowboys fan. Now all of that to his credit and he was an amazing player. But, this is him thinking his thoughts in what he wants out loud, not what will happen. The only way Dak wins a Super Bowl is if the defense turns into the 85 bears or 2000 Ravens and the running game churns out 125-150 a game. Dak won't will the Cowboys to Super Bowl without the same amount of help any other above average QB would need.

Lol..... Dak as a back-up? Nobody, absolutely nobody except his worst haters would go as far as to believe Dak has any chance of being a backup. He's kept a steady pace of play for 6 years. Nowhere near back-up level. The common NFL fan have gotten used to this level of play from him... which although isn't elite is surely more than worthy of earning his place as one of the more prolific Quarterbacks in the game.

The stuff you read on this board has no basis in reality.... lol. You'll be a decade older before Dak is gone. Jerry or Stephen will sign him again in 2025.

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Lol..... Dak as a back-up? Nobody, absolutely nobody except his worst haters would go as far as to believe Dak has any chance of being a backup. He's kept a steady pace of play for 6 years. Nowhere near back-up level. People have gotten used to this level of play... which although isn't elite is surely more than worthy of earning his place as one of the more prolific Quarterbacks in the game.

The stuff you read on this board has no basis in reality.... lol. You'll be a decade older before Dak is gone. Jerry or Stephen will sign him again.

I'm probably wrong in my time frame. The Cowboys will be a worse team next year and we all know he won't carry them. in 2 to 3 years Jerry and Stephen will be forced to at least admit to themselves they need a different QB. He will move on to a crappy team and look even worse and in 5 to 6 years will be a backup in this league. I'm not a person who says Dak sucks, but he is highly highly overrated and professionally has been given so much rope because Jerry and Stephen don't admit when they make mistakes they compound them. If you think it's crazy to say Dak will end up a backup vs. a Super Bowl winner, I don't think that's crazy given the comparison. I'm not saying he sucks.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think any QB could win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys because QB isn’t what’s holding the team back. A lot of the same problems we’re seeing now we saw when Romo was the QB. There’s a lot of real good QBs that will be sitting home watching the Super Bowl on Sunday because of problems with their team. Winning a Super Bowl isn’t entirely about the QB.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I honestly don’t think any QB could win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys because QB isn’t what’s holding the team back. A lot of the same problems we’re seeing now we saw when Romo was the QB.
There it is. The truth

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I'm probably wrong in my time frame. The Cowboys will be a worse team next year and we all know he won't carry them. in 2 to 3 years Jerry and Stephen will be forced to at least admit to themselves they need a different QB. He will move on to a crappy team and look even worse and in 5 to 6 years will be a backup in this league. I'm not a person who says Dak sucks, but he is highly highly overrated and professionally has been given so much rope because Jerry and Stephen don't admit when they make mistakes they compound them. If you think it's crazy to say Dak will end up a backup vs. a Super Bowl winner, I don't think that's crazy given the comparison. I'm not saying he sucks.

Well, anything is possible. I can say Justin Fields is gonna win 4 Super Bowls from now until 2030. Just like you can claim Dak will be backup which can be possible like anything is, is also very doubtful.

Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz were all studs once. Who thought they'd ever relegate to backup level and it's looking likely that they will eventually reach that level. We're in the passion of the most recent year. Joe Burrow and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson could even fall off. Who knows.

But....... seriously, Dak has sustained himself for 6 years. Average QBs fall off fast. Dak fell off in 2017 and recovered in 2018 and has been steady ever since. Doesn't look like he'll ever be back-up to me until he's washed up Eli Manning level or something. To me he has sustained a certain level. He's not Rodgers but he's sustained pretty good regular season success at the very least.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Matt Stafford could hardly sniff the playoffs in Detroit because of the team around him. With the right team and coaching around him he’s going to the Super Bowl.

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Well, anything is possible. I can say Justin Fields is gonna win 4 Super Bowls from now until 2030. Just like you can claim Dak will be backup which can be possible like anything is, is also very doubtful.

Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, and Carson Wentz were all studs once. Who thought they'd ever relegate to backup level and it's looking likely that they will eventually reach that level. We're in the passion of the most recent year. Joe Burrow and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson could even fall off. Who knows.

But....... seriously, Dak has sustained himself for 6 years. Average QBs fall off fast. Dak fell off in 2017 and recovered in 2018 and has been steady ever since. Doesn't look like he'll ever be back-up to me until he's washed up Eli Manning level or something. To me he has sustained a certain level. He's not Rodgers but he's sustained pretty good regular season success at the very least.

I totally agree with the logic of all of this. I would make an argument that Dak has fallen off every year in multiple games and has had the benefit of a truly awful division, but I agree with it was a steeper fall off in 2017 and 2018 before Amari came along. But, we could go back and forth on the level of fall off for 22 pages. Lol.

CoachD

Reaction score
I'm a Dak fan but I'm not too sure about that since it's been the same old same old for 25 years. I remember everyone saying this about Romo and Witten to and guess what, nada!