CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

T-RO

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?

shabazz

Reaction score
As usual it depends on who we play and what their defense is vulnerable to. Overall I think our quarterbacks skill set plays to an offense predicated on the run with opportunistic and complimentary passing.

the bigger question however is why do primates hurl their feces on people that pay good money to see them in the zoo?

T-RO

Reaction score
As usual it depends on who we play and what their defense is vulnerable to. Overall I think our quarterbacks skill set plays to an offense predicated on the run with opportunistic and complimentary passing.
So you'd like to see more running plays than passing? 60-40 running?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Let's translate for MM where we don't have to be politically correct: I want to have a power running game so that when I have a 2TD lead late in the game like I did against Green Bay and Jacksonville, I can run out the clock. Those two losses cost me home field advantage and a possible super bowl appearance. I don't want to do that again.

quickccc

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
Eagles also had a defense .. those teams struggled in that area.

I saw McCarthy as saying we want better run situational decisions .. when to run the ball.... ..

- how to run the ball (to use play action with QB hand off under center, not always running it it up the middle gut and always out of
shot-gun formation ..

-. when to not abandon the run..( ala Green Bay 28-14 lead) ..

- .when to know how mix in run vs pass balance
- and know how to not make your run offense predictable trendy - ..especially on the road.

shabazz

Reaction score
So you'd like to see more running plays than passing? 60-40 running?
Again, it should be predicated on the type of defense we face each week. Last season i wasn’t very confident in the WR corp so there may have been a reason to run it more. If I recall correctly, I believe Daks average pass attempts per game was 33 or so which shows good balance.

although yardage is yardage and points are points, we all know that a methodical running game has the advantage of wearing down the other teams defense and controlling time of possession.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think they will have a higher run % than this past season unless they draft Robinson.

This is still Prescott's team and in theory it sounds good to run more and pass less to have fewer chances for turnovers but this team needs to score and they didn't trade for Cooks to run the ball.

McC knows that if he is to play complimentary ball to his defense, he needs to score and take the opposition out of any ball control offensive plan because this game changed from a time of possession to a scores off possessions years ago.

The Cowboys did not lose to the Niners because of their run defense, which I have not seen improve this off season. They lost because of their pass offense and lack of scoring to take the Niners out of their game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's he going to say, he wants to run the ball less?

He is saying what sells. That simple.
He's selling what the fans want to buy, don't put the game in the QB's hands which really is nothing more than fan knee jerk. The only hope the Cowboys have is in the passing game because they can score more and let their defense play more pass and rush the passer.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don’t think they will run substantially more if at all. I believe his comments on running were driven by justifying making Kellen the scapegoat, and saying what Jerry wanted to hear.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Eagles also had a defense .. those teams struggled in that area.

I saw McCarthy as saying we want better run situational decisions .. when to run the ball.... ..

- how to run the ball (to use play action with QB hand off under center, not always running it it up the middle gut and always out of
shot-gun formation ..

-. when to not abandon the run..( ala Green Bay 28-14 lead) ..

- .when to know how mix in run vs pass balance
- and know how to not make your run offense predictable trendy - ..especially on the road.
Bingo!

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I think they want to run better in certain situations. The Packers game comes to mind. Cowboys are up 7-0 and force a fumble inside the Redzone. The Cowboys offense decides to to throw three straight passes and Dak throws a end zone pick on an option route that appeared to have one of the receivers running the wrong route. TP ran really well that day as well. I think the Cowboys want to throw the ball more. Best weapons are the receivers and Pollards pass catching ability.