CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

75boyz

Reaction score
the biggest problem he will be insuring the QB doesn't change all the run plays to passes because of his ego.
Cap,
Can you imagine when they do their self scouting and film break downs after a loss and they're going over throws and Kellen, Mike or both asking Dak, "What did you see here, or why did you make this decision or both?"

And these same problem(s) keeps showing up after each loss.
And both Kellen and Mike know deep inside that the problem between Dak's ears can NOT be fixed.
So Moore catches the first plane outta town while Mike is left faking crowd pleasing scripts to hopefully keep his job for as long as he can 'til the season starts and reality ends up adding him to the list of Dak's sacrificial lambs.

More running, lol.

And what an offseason indeed, Cowboys!

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I would like to see a wing-t formation some ,sprinkle it in from time to time .You could be very deceptive when running the ball , and the passing to backs could be confusing to defenses .There is a lot you can do offensively out of this formation

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused.

-Jaguars had the lead with 10 minutes left in the game. How were we going to "run out the clock" when we didn't have the lead?

-Green Bay and Dallas were 28-21 tied 13 minutes left in the game. You feel we could have just run out the clock?
You don't remember Dallas getting the ball with 1:28 and a lead and going 3 and out including an incomplete bomb on 3rd down against Jacksonville?
Dallas punted twice in the 4th quarter against Green Bay.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the Dallas Cowboy organization had never given up a 14p 4th quarter lead ever and did it twice this year. That's kind of a big deal and shows how usually you can get that type of lead to the finish line.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/
If you go down to drive stats, Dallas was 19th in plays per drive, 18th in yards per drive and 27th in time per drive. The team could not sustain drives. A lot of that has to do with all of the 1 yard runs on first down. The offense really wasn't that good and was just covered up by the defense getting so many turnovers.

T-RO

Reaction score
Situational football and how you manage a game is more important and Moore wasn't good in managing the game.
I keep hearing this from some.

-Is Red Zone situational football? We were #1 rated.
-Is third down situational? We were 5th in the league in conversions

Moore's offenses were top at top or near top in yardage and scoring every except when Dak lost for season. Sorry if I giggle out loud at this "Moore didn't know situational football"

NotForLong

Reaction score
As usual it depends on who we play and what their defense is vulnerable to. Overall I think our quarterbacks skill set plays to an offense predicated on the run with opportunistic and complimentary passing.

the bigger question however is why do primates hurl their feces on people that pay good money to see them in the zoo?
:huh:

I believe a Case Study should be done . . . Maybe we can get congress to allocate a a couple Hundred Million so we can conduct the experiment

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Not buying it. He’s a proven liar.
In the event he was being honest though, it can’t be just any RB to split carries with Pollard or lead the charge if he’s not 100%.

That gives credence that Bijan, or Henry, or some other big move is still coming

T-RO

Reaction score
Not buying it. He’s a proven liar.
Pretty much. His motto: You do/say what you gotta.

But when McCarthy described the breadth of his study for Cowboys owner Jerry Jones during a 12-hour interview, Jones' new coach admits he stretched the truth.

"I need to confess: I told Jerry I watched every play of the 2019 season," McCarthy said Wednesday during his introductory press conference. "I wanted the job. You do what you gotta do right?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rthy-fibbed-interview-jerry-jones/2852156001/

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I keep hearing this from some.

-Is Red Zone situational football? We were #1 rated.
-Is third down situational? We were 5th in the league in conversions

Moore's offenses were top at top or near top in yardage and scoring every except when Dak lost for season. Sorry if I giggle out loud at this "Moore didn't know situational football"
Passing 14 times and running 4 times up 14 points is situational football

When you have less than two minutes to go and need a field goal to win and not leave time on the clock and not telling your players to stay in bounds after a catch or run outside is situational football

Needing a 3rd and ten, and running 3 WRs on a go route is situational football

Little things. But important. A veteran NFL OC would know these little things

Moores offense also struggled at times. Better DCs always out smarted him and baited him.

I never wanted him as an OC. A guy with all of one year of coaching experience anywhere. I mean anywhere. Given the OC position and under Garrett. Then forced on McCarthy. Just like Garrett was forced on Wade.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
Depends, if we see Gibbs still sitting there I would take him, hard to pass on a talent like Gibbs, but would highly consider trading back a few spots if others like
Charbonnet, Bigsby, Achane, Tucker, Johnson, a talent like Spears should be available at a great time with some patience.
this is a deep RB class with RBs that fit what MM will be wanting to do and thats get the ball out quickly to hands/speed Rbs out of the backfield and motioned out routinely.
Having the 2nd RB on this offense that can do this is critical to the scheme this season.

JBS

Reaction score
In the event he was being honest though, it can’t be just any RB to split carries with Pollard or lead the charge if he’s not 100%.

That gives credence that Bijan, or Henry, or some other big move is still coming
They absolutely have to get another rb in the door. Whether they want to run the ball more or not.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
Quality over quantity. Less carries, buy more yards....you get that through proper play calling.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Cap,
Can you imagine when they do their self scouting and film break downs after a loss and they're going over throws and Kellen, Mike or both asking Dak, "What did you see here, or why did you make this decision or both?"

And these same problem(s) keeps showing up after each loss.
And both Kellen and Mike know deep inside that the problem between Dak's ears can NOT be fixed.
So Moore catches the first plane outta town while Mike is left faking crowd pleasing scripts to hopefully keep his job for as long as he can 'til the season starts and reality ends up adding him to the list of Dak's sacrificial lambs.

More running, lol.

And what an offseason indeed, Cowboys!
They will give Mike the draft also.
Expect OL/TE/RB maybe in that order.

T-RO

Reaction score
They absolutely have to get another rb in the door. Whether they want to run the ball more or not.
I think it's a lock they draft a RB. Just a matter of who.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If you mean give weapons to the offense... Draft focused on offense? Probably so.

If you mean give Mike the lead vote on players? Definitely not.
Coach will get the players he wants, he has his career invested fully now with this offenses production.
His influence will be heavy in the war room this draft.