CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

75boyz

Reaction score
Eagles also had a defense .. those teams struggled in that area.

I saw McCarthy as saying we want better run situational decisions .. when to run the ball.... ..

- how to run the ball (to use play action with QB hand off under center, not always running it it up the middle gut and always out of
shot-gun formation ..

-. when to not abandon the run..( ala Green Bay 28-14 lead) ..

- .when to know how mix in run vs pass balance
- and know how to not make your run offense predictable trendy - ..especially on the road.
Yep,
All of McCarthy's extensive passing offense coaching history points to his scheming up this dynamically effective TOP run game.

But yeah,
It sounds good Mike.

Heck, Linehan ran it in 2016 but it ultimately got him fired too.

It's the current best seller...
"Run game"

T-RO

Reaction score
Let's translate for MM where we don't have to be politically correct: I want to have a power running game so that when I have a 2TD lead late in the game like I did against Green Bay and Jacksonville, I can run out the clock. Those two losses cost me home field advantage and a possible super bowl appearance. I don't want to do that again.
I'm a bit confused.

-Jaguars had the lead with 10 minutes left in the game. How were we going to "run out the clock" when we didn't have the lead?

-Green Bay and Dallas were 28-21 tied 13 minutes left in the game. You feel we could have just run out the clock?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys ran the ball more last season than they have since the 94 season. They don’t need to run the ball more they need to run the ball better. The NFL is no longer a 3 yards and a cloud of dust league, you have to throw the ball to score points.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
Well the context gets lost when you only look at final numbers. I also think you missed his point about running the dawn ball.

Think of the GB game. We passed 14 times in 4th quarter and ran 4 times. I understand sometimes down and distance matter but sometimes running the clock matters.more.

In a lot of situations it was about when to run the ball. Also against Detroit and Chicago we ran a lot, one because we could but also because we had large leads.

Situational football and how you manage a game is more important and Moore wasn't good in managing the game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let's translate for MM where we don't have to be politically correct: I want to have a power running game so that when I have a 2TD lead late in the game like I did against Green Bay and Jacksonville, I can run out the clock. Those two losses cost me home field advantage and a possible super bowl appearance. I don't want to do that again.
This

75boyz

Reaction score
Hawkeye covered all of this lip service coachspeak crap with me in another post discussing this new offseason emphasis on effective running.
And he used the most appropriate cliche...
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
This is a classic example of what Mac is doing.
Seeing is believing and I call BS.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I do not think they will have a higher run % than this past season unless they draft Robinson.

This is still Prescott's team and in theory it sounds good to run more and pass less to have fewer chances for turnovers but this team needs to score and they didn't trade for Cooks to run the ball.

McC knows that if he is to play complimentary ball to his defense, he needs to score and take the opposition out of any ball control offensive plan because this game changed from a time of possession to a scores off possessions years ago.

The Cowboys did not lose to the Niners because of their run defense, which I have not seen improve this off season. They lost because of their pass offense and lack of scoring to take the Niners out of their game.
You have tonhave a team that can win in more than one way. Sometimes the defense has to come through Ala when Rushbplayed and the defense saved the day.

And to your last point, if that's the only way we can win, then the opposing team knows how to take us out of our game, so perhaps that's what the niners did. Take the passing game away and Dallas has no chance.......

Our run defense was very average last half of the season and against the niners we had to focus on stopping the run and force them to beat us with Purdy. He played safe. We had two big opportunities and we didn't cash in.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Hawkeye covered all of this lip service coachspeak crap with me in another post discussing this new offseason emphasis on effective running.
And he used the most appropriate cliche...
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
This is a classic example of what Mac is doing.
Seeing is believing and I call BS.
he's just doing like you said giving lip service and trying to keep his job. I think he knows he is limited with his offense leader

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tough to say, but they want to rest the defense and take the game out of QB1s hands to certain degree. I think McCarthy saw how they played with Cooper Rush under center, and wants to have that type of approach with a more explosive group of skill players.

Honestly, I'm concerned about the RB selection. They need to pick the right RB to make this offense more run heavy.

75boyz

Reaction score
Except there is no truth to this. He’s never been known to run the ball
And for some reason this FACT is being ignored.
But I guess we are to take him at his new way of looking at offense now right?

Nope, as with everything else in life ya better put your money on past patterns of behavior.
And that is to say that they ain't paying Cooks 12 mil, whatever Gallup's '23 salary is and Lamb's basically a contract year for them all to be compliments to Mike's new run game philosophy. That screams of contradiction if ya ask me.

It sounds exactly like what they SHOULD do on offense but yeah,
show me don't give me a fake sounding sales pitch.

I'm highly doubtful of it until proven otherwise.

JBS

Reaction score
And for some reason this FACT is being ignored.
But I guess we are to take him at his new way of looking at offense now right?

Nope, as with everything else in life ya better put your money on past patterns of behavior.
And that is to say that they ain't paying Cooks 12 mil, Gallup's '23 salary is and Lamb's basically a contract year for them all to be compliments to Mike's new run game philosophy. That screams of contradiction if ya ask me.

It sounds exactly like what they SHOULD do on offense but yeah,
show me don't give me a fake sounding sales pitch.

I'm highly doubtful of it until proven otherwise.
He’s probably being dishonest intentionally. Not to mention, this idea to run the ball more is a stupid one.

75boyz

Reaction score
he's just doing like you said giving lip service and trying to keep his job. I think he knows he limited with his offense leader
Exactly,
It's all he can say because of what he's stuck with.
But ultimately the offense will become high volume pass because that's what he knows.
And it will fail for the same reason Kellen's offense failed.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Exactly,
It's all he can say because of what he's stuck with.
But ultimately the offense will become high volume pass because that's what he knows.
And it will fail for the same reason Kellen's offense failed.
the biggest problem he will be insuring the QB doesn't change all the run plays to passes because of his ego.

T-RO

Reaction score
I think they want to run better in certain situations. The Packers game comes to mind. Cowboys are up 7-0 and force a fumble inside the Redzone. The Cowboys offense decides to to throw three straight passes and Dak throws a end zone pick on an option route that appeared to have one of the receivers running the wrong route. TP ran really well that day as well. I think the Cowboys want to throw the ball more. Best weapons are the receivers and Pollards pass catching ability.
It's easy to cherry pick a redzone situation that didn't work (We shoulda just ran the ball)

But let's remember: Dallas was #1 in all of NFL in red zone TD success in 2023. I'd say that they knew a bit what they were doing!

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It's easy to cherry pick a redone situation that didn't work (We shoulda just ran the ball)

But let's remember: Dallas was #1 in all of NFL in red zone TD success in 2023. I'd say that they knew a bit what they were doing!
I am using that play as an example that really stood out because of MM’s reaction. The 4th quarter that game Tennessee, Indianapolis and Jacksonville was other examples were Kellen became pass crazy. Dak turned the ball over way to much and Zeke ran the ball to much. That is the issue.

T-RO

Reaction score
They lost because of their pass offense and lack of scoring to take the Niners out of their game.
True...and in fairness let's review facts:
-Pollard got hurt
-Gallup as we now know had two injuries the public didn't know about, both which required surgery...he was ineffective
-Zeke old
-No third WR threat

And yes, Dak threw some two killer INTs