Will Dalton get fair shake?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Do you think with or w/o a contract for Dak will Andy get a fair shake to compete and win the starting job? Will it make a difference if Dak is only the one yr deal or if signed long term?.

Dalton isn’t competing for anything he was brought in as the backup. It’s laughable to think he’s going to be competing with Dak for the starting job. :laugh: Your post has casual fan written all over it.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
8-8 ain't going to cut it!
We want to WIN now!
Dak has another one of these games you can bet your bottom dollar Dalton is coming in the game!
Sorry, Dak we have given you the best there is and 3 years of .500 ball is pathetic!!!!

Why did Dak pass the ball nearly 50 times in a game where he had shoulder problems? Where was Zeke? Why did drops happen? Why was the coaching staff not prepared? Did you show the god awful defense and special teams all year on why we were 8-8? Of course not. "OMGZZZ its all Dak fault"!!!!!!

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Dalton isn’t competing for anything he was brought in as the backup. It’s laughable to think he’s going to be competing with Dak for the starting job. You’re another one who screams casual fan. :laugh:

Fans hate Dak so much, they think Andy Dalton is our savior. You can't make this stuff up.

Big_D

Reaction score
No, if Dak doesn't hold out there is no chance at a QB competition.

Swanny

Reaction score
Do you think with or w/o a contract for Dak will Andy get a fair shake to compete and win the starting job? Will it make a difference if Dak is only the one yr deal or if signed long term?.
Absolutely he will get a fair shake. If Dak signs a contract he will without a doubt easily be the backup. If Dak doesn't sign then Dalton will without a doubt will be the starter. Not sure that he could possibly get a different shake than that

Williamsboys

Reaction score
"If you start me up, if you start me up.."
If you start me up, I'll never stop, never stop..
"And if Dak don't sign, then please don't Whine"
"Please don't whine, It's now my time"...

conner01

Reaction score
He’s already got a fair shake
His biggest competition for the backup is gone
Now all he has to do is beat out a late round rookie

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fans hate Dak so much, they think Andy Dalton is our savior. You can't make this stuff up.

Right, they think a castoff with an 0-4 playoff record is better than Dak. I argued with a fan three months ago on this board who was lobbying for Taysom Hill, a gadget player as our QB. He said he would give up a second round draft pick for him. You can’t make that stuff up. If some fans hate Dak that much they should find another team. I’m sure everyone knew when we signed Dalton it would turn into Dak vs Dalton.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yes, he will get a fair shake. He was hired to be Dak's backup and that's what he will do.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
If Dak just signs the franchise tag, Dallas would be foolish to not at least evaluate Dalton in a starting role. Is that what you mean by "fair shake"? A lot of people here would say that Dalton would fail in that role but I suspect he would at least get a shot.

If Dak signs a deal, there is basically no way Dalton even sniffs being the starter.

Hardline

Reaction score
There not much of a talent gap between Dak and Dalton.

Dalton could outperform Dak and still not win the starting position.
The Cowboys had a better QB walking around with a clipboard on the sidelines in 2018 than Dak and couldn't get his staring job back.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
When have we ever seen an open competition at QB after the incumbent signs a $30M+/year contract? Right, and it ain't happening this year, ether.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak has another one of these games you can bet your bottom dollar Dalton is coming in the game!

How much do you want to bet? If you think he’s going to be pulled for Dalton because of an off game you’re kidding yourself! That performance was primarily due to not practicing for two weeks with a bad shoulder. Zeke was off the field on a critical third and one where Pollard took a loss. Amari was off the field on the most critical play of the game. Our receivers dropped balls and our defense didn’t show up. Carson Wentz had nothing at receiver and put up over 300 yards.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL stands for 'Not For Long' also. Like any other backup, Dalton may have a 'fair shake' opportunity if:
  • Prescott holds out or
  • Prescott gets injured and misses game time or
  • Prescott on field performance decreases below what both Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones (and only those two individuals) deems starting quarterback level of play
Any other consideration is pretty much a debatable fallacy.

dogberry

Reaction score
The only likely fair competitions in the NFL this year will take place in Las Vegas and Chicago.

Romo didn’t get one, why would Dalton.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Andy Dalton’s purpose in being here is as a backup for Dak. I saw a quote from Dalton shortly after the Cowboys signed him where he said (I’m paraphrasing) he sees this year as an opportunity to restart his career by being a backup then getting a chance somewhere else. He knows he’s second fiddle right now.

The folks here saying Dalton was signed to be the starter I don’t think are fairly assessing this team’s commitment to Dak, nor are they understanding Dalton’s mindset either IMO. I guess if you really don’t like a particular player it clouds the glasses you wear.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly. This isn't pee wee football. There is not open competitions all over the place, especially at QB. If you don't know who your starter is right now, you are in trouble. So many people have these views on Dak and they honestly think Dalton was brought in to try and take his job. Dalton is nothing but insurance in case Dak gets hurt. Which has not happened in 4 years.

He is a great backup to have and probably one of the best. He could start on teams, too. Just not here he won't.
Agreed on the no open competition thing.

Sadly, by your definition of trouble, we are kinda in it.

Itll get resolved though by Jerry caving.

I personally think LESS years is a good thing, although I'm no Prescott basher.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I posed this hypothetical scenario in another thread.

Dalton plays the whole preseason and does well. The week before the season opener Prescott signs. Who is the starter?

I said Dalton should be the starter because it's McCarthy's first year(first month with team) and it would show the rest of the team that work hard and you will be rewarded.

Now if you start Prescott the message you're sending is one of entitlement and you are not making the decisions, someone else is, like most felt about Garrett.

In this scenario McCarthy's tenure in Dallas could be defined very early.