Will Grier > Trey Lance?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Back in late August of 2023, Will Grier (who at the time was the Cowboys QB3) was made expendable after Dallas traded to acquire former 49ers first-round pick Trey Lance from the 49ers the previous day. With Saturday night serving as Will Grier's audition for the league's 31 other teams, Grier played the entire game with 3rd and 4th stringers against the Raiders backups, threw for 305 yards, 2 passing touchdowns and 1 rushing touchdown with no turnovers, and led the team to a 31 - 16 blowout victory. - Aug 30, 2023

Turn the clock forward to a year later this past Sunday, August 11, 2024, Trey Lance played at QB for 3 1/2 quarters with the 2nd and 3rd stringers, throwing the football 41 times for a measly 188 yards, 0 TDs but no turnovers (even though defensively aided with 4 INTs) against a Rams team of backups, yet unable to lead the Cowboys offense into the endzone and eventually losing 13 - 12.

Did Jerry Jones make a mistake trading for Trey Lance while cutting a better QB in Will Grier?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Honestly, it's not even close. Grier and Rush are head and shoulders above Lance. The only reason Lance is getting this opportunity, and will maybe get another shot is because of where he was drafted. At this point, im trying to figure out if Lance is better than DiNucci

exciter

Reaction score
Back in late August of 2023, Will Grier (who at the time was the Cowboys QB3) was made expendable after Dallas traded to acquire former 49ers first-round pick Trey Lance from the 49ers the previous day. With Saturday night serving as Will Grier's audition for the league's 31 other teams, Grier played the entire game with 3rd and 4th stringers against the Raiders backups, threw for 305 yards, 2 passing touchdowns and 1 rushing touchdown with no turnovers, and led the team to a 31 - 16 blowout victory. - Aug 30, 2023

Turn the clock forward to a year later this past Sunday, August 11, 2024, Trey Lance played at QB for 3 1/2 quarters with the 2nd and 3rd stringers, throwing the football 41 times for a measly 188 yards, 0 TDs but no turnovers (even though defensively aided with 4 INTs) against a Rams team of backups, yet unable to lead the Cowboys offense into the endzone and eventually losing 13 - 12.

Did Jerry Jones make a mistake trading for Trey Lance while cutting a better QB in Will Grier?

A former #3 overall pick available for a 4th after only 2 seasons is a chance you have to take regardless of but especially at QB!
The “mistake” would be not recognizing what San Francisco had already concluded and not moving on as San Francisco did!

John813

Reaction score
Grier had a low floor and ceiling in the NFL
Lance floor can be as low, but a small chance at a higher ceiling.

There's no upside with Grier. There's an unlikely, but a chance with Lance.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A former #3 overall pick available for a 4th after only 2 seasons is a chance you have to take regardless of but especially at QB!
The “mistake” would be not recognizing what San Francisco had already concluded and not moving on as San Francisco did!
So, in other words, should have not taken that chance...regardless of being a former #3 overall pick?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
It's simple. Lance has more upside, and we knew what we had in Grier. Who would you rather have at QB 3, a career backup to the backup, or a guy that has all the physical talent in the world, whose light hasn't come on yet? Remove the draft pick from the equation and it's a no-brainer. Throw in the 4th and it was a medium risk, high reward gamble that hasn't paid off.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Hide sight is 20/20. It's so easy to bask in its aftermath as if you knew what would be the whole time. Attempting to paint that picture is disingenuous at best. NFL football is a sport that involves taking risks. Giving up a 4th round pick for Trey Lance was a risk that could have paid off big. That move by the FO means they are still trying to win. So what if it didn't pan out, not all investments do. I'm happy the risk was ventured. I hope the FO continues to delve into the risk-taking.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I would rather have WG over Rush. At least with Will you have athleticism and a bit of upside. Rush offers zero. We know what he is.

Lance is a free option at this point. Not his fault SF took him early. Not his fault dummy Jerry trade a 4 for him. The guy just hasn’t play QB much his whole life. Very little since being drafted in 2021. He is totally green. My view is to let him play over half the snaps in preseason. Give him snaps with the number 1s and let’s see if he can improve. If not then make him a practice squad or number 3 and see if he can play his way to a back up role. Cut bait if he shows nothing. The cost has already been absorbed.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
If I had to play a game today and my life depended on it, I go with Grier. If I am building a team, then i go with Lance. He has much higher potential than Grier. I would have kept Grier last year and cut Rush, but that wasn't part of the question.

rambo2

Reaction score

Lol, all this talk about 3rd string qbs.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I saw Grier, up close when they played Texas.....I liked him then and wish we had kept him. Our Anti-Daksters would be all over him, rignt now. Lol.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would rather have WG over Rush. At least with Will you have athleticism and a bit of upside. Rush offers zero. We know what he is.

Lance is a free option at this point. Not his fault SF took him early. Not his fault dummy Jerry trade a 4 for him. The guy just hasn’t play QB much his whole life. Very little since being drafted in 2021. He is totally green. My view is to let him play over half the snaps in preseason. Give him snaps with the number 1s and let’s see if he can improve. If not then make him a practice squad or number 3 and see if he can play his way to a back up role. Cut bait if he shows nothing. The cost has already been absorbed.
Well for one a winning NFL QB.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Will Grier is currently the 4th QB on the Eagles team. If the Eagles decide to keep only 2 QBs and cut Grier, would you rather cut Trey Lance (if he keeps playing poorly) and instead bring back Will Grier to be our QB3?
I think it doesn't matter