Will Grier > Trey Lance?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I saw Grier, up close when they played Texas.....I liked him then and wish we had kept him. Our Anti-Daksters would be all over him, rignt now. Lol.
He’s not a very good QB.

Has a weird throwing motion and isn’t very mobile.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Pretty sure it did or Grier would still have been on the team last year.
Nope.

It's the third QB - you don't make a trade just to replace a guy who will never see the field. It was about acquiring Lance, not replacing Grier.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Lance is the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft.
Zach Wilson was picked ahead of Lance in that draft. The Jets sent him to the Broncos for a sixth round draft choice and had to send a seventh with him to get the Broncos to do the trade. Wilson looked much better than Lance in Denver’s first preseason game. Wilson is expected to be Denver’s QB3, if he even makes the team. Just being picked early “in the 2021 draft” does not make a player capable of being a proficient NFL player.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
There are 2 - 3 receivers on 1st string. If Cropper is the 5th WR, he is 2nd string.

Clearly I am wasting my time arguing with someone who never played football. Go waste someone else's time. Like someone like you who never played the sport and doesn't understand what they are talking about.
That's not quite how it works.
Cropper is no higher up than Simi/Brooks was. Tolbert was definitely higher than Cropper.
Most of the OL was 2nd string for Grier.
Lance might not ever be anything. But you're not honest with how you frame the situation.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Nope.

It's the third QB - you don't make a trade just to replace a guy who will never see the field. It was about acquiring Lance, not replacing Grier.
I guess you have not been paying attention.

Trance will not see the field this year.

Trance's contract expires at the end of this year.

We definitely did make a trade for a guy that will not see the field to replace a guy that was not going to see the field.

Trance replaced Will Grier.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If what you say is true why could he not start in HS?
I'm not sure where you are getting your info.

This is from his wikipedia page:

Lance played running back in youth football and first played at quarterback in middle school.[4][1] He later attended Marshall High School, where he was viewed as the best quarterback prospect in Minnesota.[5] Lance initially wanted to play at the University of Minnesota and had been ready to commit there after attending a recruiting event in February 2017. However, he was deemed a wide receiver or defensive back prospect by them and other Power Five schools.[3][1] Lance eventually committed to North Dakota State in December 2017.[3][6][7]

He started his final year in high school based on everything I read. Other than the position change, I haven't seen anything to say why, but he could have had a multi-year starter ahead of him for all I know. Starting positions in high school are not always open competition. Maybe if he had switched schools, he would have started earlier. The fact that he became "the best quarterback prospect" in Minnesota despite starting just one year either says a lot about him or a lot about the lack of top QB prospects in Minnesota.

I'm not a Lance expert. It won't surprise me if he fails. I'd love it if he succeeded because it's better for my team and the draft pick we gave up to acquire him. All I'm doing is recognizing the potential that got him drafted in the first round and traded. Some team was going to give that potential a chance. I don't mind it being us.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are getting your info.

This is from his wikipedia page:

Lance played running back in youth football and first played at quarterback in middle school.[4][1] He later attended Marshall High School, where he was viewed as the best quarterback prospect in Minnesota.[5] Lance initially wanted to play at the University of Minnesota and had been ready to commit there after attending a recruiting event in February 2017. However, he was deemed a wide receiver or defensive back prospect by them and other Power Five schools.[3][1] Lance eventually committed to North Dakota State in December 2017.[3][6][7]

He started his final year in high school based on everything I read. Other than the position change, I haven't seen anything to say why, but he could have had a multi-year starter ahead of him for all I know. Starting positions in high school are not always open competition. Maybe if he had switched schools, he would have started earlier. The fact that he became "the best quarterback prospect" in Minnesota despite starting just one year either says a lot about him or a lot about the lack of top QB prospects in Minnesota.
https://www.maxpreps.com/mn/marshal...-lance/football/stats/?careerid=u9s2v2uqnc577

Wikipedia :huh:

Chasing6

Reaction score
That tells us less than wikipedia. It just tells us he didn't start until he was a senior. Without context, it means nothing. You're going to hold things you don't fully understand against a player?
It gives his stats. These stats come from his HS.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I guess you have not been paying attention.

Trance will not see the field this year.

Trance's contract expires at the end of this year.

We definitely did make a trade for a guy that will not see the field to replace a guy that was not going to see the field.

Trance replaced Will Grier.
You are just grossly missing the point lol

Maybe he replaced him, as a technicality, on the roster. But you trade for Lance because you hope he shows some potential for the future, not because he's your short-term third stringer. Doesn't matter who the other QBs on the roster are when you make that type of acquisition.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It gives his stats. These stats come from his HS.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia.
Stats don't explain why. They are just numbers and we often make of them what we want to make of them.

Lance is here. He's being given a good shot at developing. Let's see how it goes.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Stats don't explain why. They are just numbers and we often make of them what we want to make of them.

Lance is here. He's being given a good shot at developing. Let's see how it goes.
No one is stoping you from seeing how it goes.

I on the other hand did have to wait and see how it goes. It was a waste is time, money and draft capital.

If GM Jethro was to double down or triple down on his gamble he has the right do it. He is the owner.

gimmesix

Reaction score
No one is stoping you from seeing how it goes.

I on the other hand did have to wait and see how it goes. It was a waste is time, money and draft capital.

If GM Jethro was to double down or triple down on his gamble he has the right do it. He is the owner.
And I'm sure your evaluation skills are impeccable and you've never been mistaken. Have fun with that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
And I'm sure your evaluation skills are impeccable and you've never been mistaken. Have fun with that.
No your evaluations are always correct, because you will wait and see. Then you can't be wrong at that point.

Some people do see better than others.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
A former #3 overall pick available for a 4th after only 2 seasons is a chance you have to take regardless of but especially at QB!
The “mistake” would be not recognizing what San Francisco had already concluded and not moving on as San Francisco did!
no you dont lol. This was the worst draft pick in nfl history. He wasnt a valid round 1 qb!
What experts made him a round 1 pick?? And SF was very dumb to give up all the picks they did to move up and get a guy
who was a project type player, and in no way should he have been drafted in 1st round.

Jerry is a idiot who will try any guy who was drafted in round 1 , no matter how big a bust they are.

Chasing6

Reaction score
no you dont lol. This was the worst draft pick in nfl history. He wasnt a valid round 1 qb!
What experts made him a round 1 pick?? And SF was very dumb to give up all the picks they did to move up and get a guy
who was a project type player, and in no way should he have been drafted in 1st round.

Jerry is an idiot who will try any guy who was drafted in round 1 , no matter how big a bust they are.
Every College in the Country seems to be correct. Not 1 offered Trance a scholarship.

Please name another NFL QB that did not have a Scholarship???

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Will Grier is one of many bkup qb's that dont get the respect or opportunitys that they should get.