Will Grier > Trey Lance?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
A former #3 overall pick available for a 4th after only 2 seasons is a chance you have to take regardless of but especially at QB!
The “mistake” would be not recognizing what San Francisco had already concluded and not moving on as San Francisco did!
No, the mistake was trading for a guy who has a contract expiring in the same year that Dak's is.

Even in the crazy scenario where this year he proved to be the QB of future, you'd never get any dollar value out of him because he'd be getting a big extension anyway.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Grier had a low floor and ceiling in the NFL
Lance floor can be as low, but a small chance at a higher ceiling.

There's no upside with Grier. There's an unlikely, but a chance with Lance.
That's what this is all about. You can find multiple Will Griers in this league. There are not a lot of players with Lance's upside. Now, he may never reach his potential, but there's nothing wrong with trying to find out if he can.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol, all this talk about 3rd string qbs.
You never know. If Dak suddenly reinjures his leg, who would you rather have at QB to lead the team (Cooper Rush, Trey Lance or Will Grier) the rest of the season if the goal is to win?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
As if you were that important lol. Just delusional, nothing else.

Never had a problem with Grier, he just never mattered. Since Rush has proven he can win, I'd go with him into the season rather than with Grier.

This dude never even justified the attention when he was here, now people are still talking about him. Ridiculous.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Will Grier is 29 years old and has yet to throw a single TD pass during his NFL career. He is not likely to be a guy a team can count on to win a game if thrust into action. He also will likely be available once cuts begin along with other similar level QBs.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
As if you were that important lol. Just delusional, nothing else.

Never had a problem with Grier, he just never mattered. Since Rush has proven he can win, I'd go with him into the season rather than with Grier.

This dude never even justified the attention when he was here, now people are still talking about him. Ridiculous.
Ridiculous is how wrong you continue to be concerning QB football players on the Cowboys.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Will Grier was worse than Lance his previous preseason games and then finally had one good game when he knew he was getting cut and had Dak calling his plays. Then he looked like the same guy from before with Bengals, Patriots, and Chargers.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Back in late August of 2023, Will Grier (who at the time was the Cowboys QB3) was made expendable after Dallas traded to acquire former 49ers first-round pick Trey Lance from the 49ers the previous day. With Saturday night serving as Will Grier's audition for the league's 31 other teams, Grier played the entire game with 3rd and 4th stringers against the Raiders backups, threw for 305 yards, 2 passing touchdowns and 1 rushing touchdown with no turnovers, and led the team to a 31 - 16 blowout victory. - Aug 30, 2023

Turn the clock forward to a year later this past Sunday, August 11, 2024, Trey Lance played at QB for 3 1/2 quarters with the 2nd and 3rd stringers, throwing the football 41 times for a measly 188 yards, 0 TDs but no turnovers (even though defensively aided with 4 INTs) against a Rams team of backups, yet unable to lead the Cowboys offense into the endzone and eventually losing 13 - 12.

Did Jerry Jones make a mistake trading for Trey Lance while cutting a better QB in Will Grier?

A bit misleading.
You say Grier was playing with 3rd and 4th stringers and Lance with 2nd and 3rd. Clearly to try and imply that Lance was dealing with a better supporting cast.

Then I watched part of that youtube video of the Raider game with Greir. Most of the guys he was playing with were higher on the depth chart than the guys Lance had. At least at the skill positions.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The Will Grier stuff is still alive? :lmao:
I still remember people thinking he'd get a backup number 2 job after being cut. That was hilarious.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A bit misleading.
You say Grier was playing with 3rd and 4th stringers and Lance with 2nd and 3rd. Clearly to try and imply that Lance was dealing with a better supporting cast.

Then I watched part of that youtube video of the Raider game with Greir. Most of the guys he was playing with were higher on the depth chart than the guys Lance had. At least at the skill positions.
No they weren't. Most were 3rd and 4th stringers as accurately stated.

shabazz

Reaction score
But since I like Will Grier, they would hate and rag on him as well, Coach. lol
Not all of us would, AC.

I wouldn't risk my credibility to build up any QB just because he's not Dak. I still see a big gap between Rayne and our 2 current backups so Grier would be a capable backup

Hell, even Bo Nix already looks better than our current backups, lol

nobody

Reaction score
You never know. If Dak suddenly reinjures his leg, who would you rather have at QB to lead the team (Cooper Rush, Trey Lance or Will Grier) the rest of the season if the goal is to win?
Rush showed he can help the team win when Dak's hurt. So given the options at the moment, he'd be easily QB #2. But let's be honest, the regular season is likely toast if Dak goes down for more than 4-5 games. Either way the Cowboys are going nowhere in the playoffs.

Havic

Reaction score
Grier had a low floor and ceiling in the NFL
Lance floor can be as low, but a small chance at a higher ceiling.

There's no upside with Grier. There's an unlikely, but a chance with Lance.
This.

Grier will never be more than what he is now. Lance has elite nfl traits that haven’t materialized so his ceiling his higher