Will Hernandez (UTEP) - Combine

diefree666

Reaction score
Nelson is clearly the best lineman in the draft but will almost certainly go top 10 even if he is a guard; frankly Swing Tackle really is our great NEED right now so if we do not go D in the first we need to get a tackle who can play swing and who we think can take Tyron's place in a couple of years. Wynn and Hernandez are really guards only= I doubt either could really play tackle in the NFL very well at all. The SMART thing for the boys to do is reup Cooper; he is good enough and should be fairly cheap. Outside of Swing and potentially our LT of the future I would not go offense for the first three rounds- we need help on D much more badly

Sydla

Reaction score
Nelson is clearly the best lineman in the draft but will almost certainly go top 10 even if he is a guard; frankly Swing Tackle really is our great NEED right now so if we do not go D in the first we need to get a tackle who can play swing and who we think can take Tyron's place in a couple of years. Wynn and Hernandez are really guards only= I doubt either could really play tackle in the NFL very well at all. The SMART thing for the boys to do is reup Cooper; he is good enough and should be fairly cheap. Outside of Swing and potentially our LT of the future I would not go offense for the first three rounds- we need help on D much more badly

Taking an OT in the first is a massive risk unless he starts off at LG.

Think about it this way. If you take McGlinchy or Williams at 19, where is he playing? If everything goes to plan, and Smith is healthy, your first round OT is riding the bench. Even is Smith missed a couple of games with his back, getting a handful of games out of your first round pick is a waste of value.

Now if that’s OT starts off as LG, sure. I can live with that.

Your first round pick can’t be a bench warmer.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not understanding posters wanting Hernandez BUT not at 19. Some wanna pull back a bit. The difference between 19 and let say 25 or 28 isn't worth the risk of losing your # 1 target IMO. If he's your guy, why not pull the trigger and be done.

Exactly, and Hernandez and Wynn are the 2 best guards that are likely to be there at 19. We need a LG. Why not get the best LG to complete our oline?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Cooper is hardly a guy that we can count on. He's decent, but is finesse. He should be a back up in this league, period.. We failed to address the oline last offseason and went the unproven route with Cooper and the human dumpster fire himself..chaz green. How'd that work out for us boys? If we have to pass on a tackle or guard early...ok FINE...lets get Braden Smith in round 3.

diefree666

Reaction score
Cooper is hardly a guy that we can count on. He's decent, but is finesse. He should be a back up in this league, period.. We failed to address the oline last offseason and went the unproven route with Cooper and the human dumpster fire himself..chaz green. How'd that work out for us boys? If we have to pass on a tackle or guard early...ok FINE...lets get Braden Smith in round 3.
just more proof you know nothing about OL play

diefree666

Reaction score
Taking an OT in the first is a massive risk unless he starts off at LG.

Think about it this way. If you take McGlinchy or Williams at 19, where is he playing? If everything goes to plan, and Smith is healthy, your first round OT is riding the bench. Even is Smith missed a couple of games with his back, getting a handful of games out of your first round pick is a waste of value.

Now if that’s OT starts off as LG, sure. I can live with that.

Your first round pick can’t be a bench warmer.

Tyron's days as a top LT are numbered. Backs do not get better. Taking a top tackle prospect now gives him a couple of years to get ready for the load. AND in the meantime he is our swing tackle WHICH WE BADLY NEED as events have proven.

Sydla

Reaction score
Tyron's days as a top LT are numbered. Backs do not get better. Taking a top tackle prospect now gives him a couple of years to get ready for the load. AND in the meantime he is our swing tackle WHICH WE BADLY NEED as events have proven.

Actually backs can get better, with surgery. I had a similar issue to Smith and had surgery and have little to no effects anymore.

Secondly, if you are concerned about him, then getting a vet OT makes more sense. Using a first round pick on an OT that might not play this year or maybe for a few years, is just awful value in the first round.

Especially considering this isn't even that strong an OT draft.

The smart play is get a vet OT in here and then draft a developmental guy in the mid rounds.

diefree666

Reaction score
Actually backs can get better, with surgery. I had a similar issue to Smith and had surgery and have little to no effects anymore.

Secondly, if you are concerned about him, then getting a vet OT makes more sense. Using a first round pick on an OT that might not play this year or maybe for a few years, is just awful value in the first round.

Especially considering this isn't even that strong an OT draft.

The smart play is get a vet OT in here and then draft a developmental guy in the mid rounds.
and you are taking on professional football players every week? HA HA. You go down the NFL and look at players who had the same condition Tyron has and their careers after surgery were almost always pretty short. Now and then one beats the odds but that is NOT A BET YOU SHOULD TAKE AS A GM.

Sydla

Reaction score
and you are taking on professional football players every week? HA HA. You go down the NFL and look at players who had the same condition Tyron has and their careers after surgery were almost always pretty short. Now and then one beats the odds but that is NOT A BET YOU SHOULD TAKE AS A GM.

Rob Gronkowski also had a herniated/bulging disk. He had surgery in college. He's also had two surgeries in the NFL and yet has still gone on and had a pretty damn productive career.

I also had my surgery 20+ years ago and there have been tons of advances in back surgery and unlike Smith, I didn't have a state of the art training facility to rehab.

Taking an OT as "insurance" against Smith in the first round would be a terrible use of resources.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Exactly, so why not fix the LG spot properly with Hernandez or Wynn?

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly, so why not fix the LG spot properly with Hernandez or Wynn?

Because we have a ton other needs and have already invested way more in the OL position that just about any other team in the NFL.

We shouldn't need yet another first round OL to "fix" the OL. Go get a good vet, draft a mid to later round project and use your prime picks on bigger needs - WR, TE, DT, DE, LB, S.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Because we have a ton other needs and have already invested way more in the OL position that just about any other team in the NFL.

We shouldn't need yet another first round OL to "fix" the OL. Go get a good vet, draft a mid to later round project and use your prime picks on bigger needs - WR, TE, DT, DE, LB, S.

I'd be sort of on board with getting an OL in FA, but I'm not seeing a lot of quality OL that are likely to hit the FA market. I think we can get WR later in the draft. This draft is loaded at WR. Same goes with safety, and there's a linebacker that I like that will likely be there in round 4. With the 19th pick, we do also get the 5 year option, and I think that Hernandez or Wynn will warrant the need for the option.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'd be sort of on board with getting an OL in FA, but I'm not seeing a lot of quality OL that are likely to hit the FA market. I think we can get WR later in the draft. This draft is loaded at WR. Same goes with safety, and there's a linebacker that I like that will likely be there in round 4. With the 19th pick, we do also get the 5 year option, and I think that Hernandez or Wynn will warrant the need for the option.

There will be some decent, vet OGs out there. Slauson from the Chargers. Older guys who won't cost an arm and a leg.

Using the 19th pick on an OG is just a complete waste of resources and value at that pick, which is why I wouldn't be stunned to see us do it.

Plankton

Reaction score

Exactly. Sign a Slauson as you did in your mock, or a Senio Kelemete, and then draft a guy down the line. Half of the reason why they let Frank Pollack go was because of the inability to develop the backup solutions. Ostensibly, that's why they hired Paul Alexander - to develop a LG.

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly. Sign a Slauson as you did in your mock, or a Senio Kelemete, and then draft a guy down the line. Half of the reason why they let Frank Pollack go was because of the inability to develop the backup solutions. Ostensibly, that's why they hired Paul Alexander - to develop a LG.

And for the record, it pains me a bit to say no to an OG at 19 because I've been a big proponent of fixing the OL and the DL. I was on the Martin bandwagon from the start if Donald wasn't there.

But at some point, you have to focus on other key needs with prime picks. You can't just keep throwing first round picks at the OL until you make it work. As I said above, there is something inherently wrong with the coaching staff and/or the front office's plan if what "fixes" our current OL is yet another first round pick along the OL.

Plankton

Reaction score
And for the record, it pains me a bit to say no to an OG at 19 because I've been a big proponent of fixing the OL and the DL. I was on the Martin bandwagon from the start if Donald wasn't there.

But at some point, you have to focus on other key needs with prime picks. You can't just keep throwing first round picks at the OL until you make it work. As I said above, there is something inherently wrong with the coaching staff and/or the front office's plan if what "fixes" our current OL is yet another first round pick along the OL.

Ultimately, I have no problem with taking a lineman up high if he is truly the best value at that slot, and you can't get out of the pick. If Wynn is there, and they can't trade, then I'd be OK with it. Not thrilled, but OK.

That being said, it's hard to look at the defense's inability to make plays, and then advocate throwing a first rounder at the OL.